Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times

Advertisements

I was recently visiting York and ran into a couple who told me of their travels further north in Maine, of an "Airline restaurant and inn" that serves its own homemade donuts and pies, a place of great hospitality. This place is apparently in a rural area and not too far from the way to Calais.

Upon searching for such an establishment online, nothing related to the actual place she described seems to fit, and I was wondering if anyone around here had any clues what or where exactly this could be? Perhaps they simply don't advertise at all?

The reason I ask is also that I am planning to drive up to Lubec and Calais next week, and would like to track this place down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Where Rt 9 (the Airline) ends at Rt 1 it is just North of the intersection. I haven't been there for years, so it might not be there anymore. Several regulars here on the Forum live in that area so they should have a better handle on if it is still there.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
If I'm not mistaken the restaurant you are asking about is not associated with the Airline Inn, but is next door. Owned and operated by one of our own. Peachie_in_Maine, where are you? Here's a link to her restaurant.
Home

Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I thought it might have been the Nook and Cranny he was referring to. It is "Da Bomb" as my wife would say.

For years I thought the motel and restaurant were owned by the same people. I would hate to guess how many meals I've eaten there, or how many nights I spent sleeping in the Motel. I used to go down that direction for years with my job and always stayed at the motel and ate at the restaurant.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM

48 posts, read 123,758 times
Unless you're talking about the Airline Diner, but they don't have an inn.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
I believe the OP is talking about the Airline Snack Bar in Beddington.

The Airline Snackbar, Route 9, Beddington, Maine

It is about 50 minutes east on Rt 9 (the Airline) from Brewer. They have dang good food, RV hookups and a small motel.

The diner at the end of Rt 9 at Rt 1 in Baring is The Irving Big Stop. It's a truck stop with mediocre food IMHO. Now the N&C is in Woodland (Baileyville to you folks that don't know better; like the State of Maine and USPS). They have some fantastic food and everyone who works there is great. Peachie would back me up on that if she were on.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:02 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Retiredtinbender is correct. You can get there by ATV or snowmobile too.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post

It is about 50 minutes east on Rt 9 (the Airline) from Brewer. They have dang good food, RV hookups and a small motel.

The diner at the end of Rt 9 at Rt 1 in Baring is The Irving Big Stop. It's a truck stop with mediocre food IMHO. Now the N&C is in Woodland (Baileyville to you folks that don't know better; like the State of Maine and USPS). They have some fantastic food and everyone who works there is great. Peachie would back me up on that if she were on.
isnt there an airline motel right close to the irving???

if memory serves, many moons ago i stayed there- I think it's the original bates motel

Old 08-18-2011, 05:03 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I believe the one at the east end of the Airline is closed. It was last time I was by about a month ago.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:50 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post

Sorry, USPS already recognizes the Woodland up in The County using Zip Code 04736 (Caribou). Baileyville can't have Woodland too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine