Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,902 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just joined the forum.

First of all, my apologies if this topic has been started by someone else.

I'm having a hard time finding a place to live. I've got two Miniature Schnauzers which way 20 lbs. (or less). They're house trained, spayed, and neutered.

I am disabled and living on a fixed income. My ideal place would be a small cottage with all utilities paid and a small yard, but an apartment would do. I don't need much space. Anything clean and in a safe neighborhood would be great. The city/town is not that important. I've always loved Maine.

I've searched Craigslist, MaineToday.com, Rentals.com, and a couple of other newspapers.

Should I call/contact a home locator? I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks in advance. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
I have searched Craig's list and checked the box to include dog friendly. I have found dog friendly results; however, you might have to negotiate a bit since you have more than one dog. Another member GatorMama moved to Hampden in May and found a rental that allowed her two dogs.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
That would be me, (I changed my name when I moved up here since there are no gators in Maine )

I was looking everywhere for a place that allowed pets and even though I had looked at Craigslist before, someone mentioned it and I decided to take another look.

I ended up finding a few. One said, "Will consider pets". Well, I sure did like the photos of the place and it was close to Bangor which I decided would be a good jumping off point until I learned more about the state, I called the lady and talked to her. I was in Miami at the time and I'll tell you, I had been rejected by other places BECAUSE I was not in Maine. But she gave me a chance and now I'm here, with the pooches and cats and it's quiet, clean, neighbors are great, (except one who doesn't pick up their dog doo out of the yard...grrr), town is clean, quiet and friendly and I think I found the best place ever to get started.

All through Craigslist.

So, keep trying CL. New listings constantly, check every day. If your dogs weigh under 20 pounds, it should be easier than it was for me with two dogs, one weighing 24 and the other weighing 46.

But it's doable.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 AM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
I found a rental with a 75LB dog and two cats, 2 bds with a garage and yard. I basically contacted potential rentals on criags list and let them know my situation and about my pets. I offered a pet deposit or pet rent if my pets would be welcome. When I flew in for my visit I had a list of over 12 places to check out that agreed to take them. If the ad said "don't even ask" I didn't bother But if it didn't say any thing at all I went ahead and asked. It is doable. Where there is a will there is a way. I found craigs list to be the most responsive. Rental agents wouldn't even ask the owners. Yours are small it shouldn't be a problem. I put down a $300 pet deposit for all three pets.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 PM

428 posts, read 554,132 times
We found our apartment on Craig's List. We have four small dogs (3 wiener's and a schnoodle) and paid $200 deposit. I believe it's a buyer's (or renter's) market now.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM

90 posts, read 171,622 times
We were in the same boat and found that if you talk to the person about your dogs and offered a larger deposit it was a non issue. They just wanted to know you were resonsible pet owners,

Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,902 times
Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking and hoping to find something soon. I think the problem is that I'm on a fixed income and living in Texas. Landlords may not take me seriously or consider renting to me.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 PM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
I moved here from Alabama. I was taking a new job. While its not a fixed income, some times being paid a salary feels that way, no opportunity to make extra or overtime. Just don't use the word fixed income when inquiring. if you can afford the rents your inquiring about, your application can back that up.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming_Lilac View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking and hoping to find something soon. I think the problem is that I'm on a fixed income and living in Texas. Landlords may not take me seriously or consider renting to me.
With the fixed income, obviously look in your price range but let them know that, up front. See what they say to that. If they are ok with it, then put out that you have two small dogs.

I will agree with you, it is not as easy to find a place when you're out of state. I had people saying, "No problem!" to me until they found out I was all the way down in Miami. Suddenly, the correspondence stopped. Or "the place is already rented" when it wasn't three hours before when I initially contacted them. You will face this for sure.

But keep trying. I found that the BEST responses came from people who actually own the house and are renting out the house or in my case, the gigantic house that is huge enough to be turned in to three units where each unit is like a house.

I'd also suggest trying to find one with hot water and heat included. It sounds daunting but it can be done. Just keep checking and try areas in and around where you want to live.

To be very honest with you, I had never even heard of Hampden until I started looking on Craigslist for a place to live. But, it was close to Bangor, which is what I had decided on after giving up my dream of living on the coast right now, and it's actually nice. (Some people like to make fun of it but I don't see what they are talking about.)

Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
But, it was close to Bangor, which is what I had decided on after giving up my dream of living on the coast right now, and it's actually nice. (Some people like to make fun of it but I don't see what they are talking about.)
And best of all, you're only about 30 miles from the Big Chicken Barn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine