Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
....If they have a tap or cover or pipe coming out of the earth, its more of a well than a spring, Webster says a well is "issue of water from the earth: a pool fed by a spring"

Nope, sorry. There are three that I know of where property owners have attached piping to direct the flow and make it easier to place a bottle under. Only one of those is on private property, so it's likely that people in my area know where at least one of the others are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:51 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
There is one in Lee just off Route 6 beside a saw mill. It runs 365 days a year. People come from far and wide to fill their jugs. If you can see the saw mill from Route 6, that's the one.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM

276 posts, read 848,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
There's one in Dixmont? Or one of the towns around there. I remember my parents pointing it out to us when I was a little kid. Sorry I can't be more specific.
I think the one in Dixmont is still there. It's on Route 7 just after you turn off Route 202. If your headed toward Belfast it's on the left. My husband said that's where his parents got there drinking water when he was a kid in the 70's. They had no running water in the house. I haven't been by in about 2 years so I'm not 100% if it's still there.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Oh! I know where that one is too now that you describe it. Haven't been there in probably 15 years or so now, but it's not difficult to spot.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:32 AM

565 posts, read 935,098 times
Bump.

Anyone have any more of these they are willing to share? If you dont want to post it publicly please DM me and I will not repost it anywhere else online or anywhere for that matter.

Findaspring website has a fair amount, but very few in the central part of the state and I know of multiple that are not on there, however are mediocre water at best.

Last edited by inthetrees; 12-31-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 01:00 PM

217 posts, read 199,903 times
I know of one right here: https://goo.gl/maps/xBaGo29LTpn

I drive by there about five times per week and often see folks filling jugs! But I'd guess it's a well, not a spring.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 948 times
Are there any near Blue Hill?

Old 01-10-2019, 03:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
There is a good spring on the Town Line Road in Springfield. There is one in Lincoln on the Rocky Dundee Road. Both are very easy to find and you can fill your jug right from the road.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
I know of one right here: https://goo.gl/maps/xBaGo29LTpn

I drive by there about five times per week and often see folks filling jugs! But I'd guess it's a well, not a spring.

Thanks! tomatoe - tomato on calling them well vs springs, i've realized over the years since starting this thread some people just love to bicker and make a fuss about things when it really isn't worth the energy involved....

That one in China has just okay water. I believe it tested around 150-TDS, however I didnt record it.
There is some taste though, granted not bad, just some sort of excessive mineral.

On that same sorta setup and area; i've seen people filling up multiple times outside of the Windsor town hall just down the road from there. I have never tested that water though or asked the town hall what the deal was with it.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM

Tried out the Mt Vernon and Vienna springs today posted on Findaspring.

The Mt Vernon one has a sign by the owners recommending to boil or use purification tablets. I wonder if they do this just to prevent liability, or if there is something actually wrong with the water?
The water is very pure aside from that. 35 tds on my meter.

The Vienna one seemed better, indicating its tested monthy, also similar purity, just a tiny bit higher at 38 tds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: