Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM

375 posts, read 609,505 times

Advertisements

On a recent trip to my home state of Maine, I was very pleased to see highway crews picking up litter along the I-95. I find it despicable that trash will discard litter anywhere except in their own front yard; but I was glad to see that highway crew doing the right thing in removing it.

Just a few miles further, however, hope turned to anger as I drove by graffiti spray painted on roadside rock walls along the I-95. I don't recall exactly where it was, possibly just north of Bangor if memory serves me.

I have come to expect so much less from many in today's younger generation(s) which I think it's fair to say are responsible for most of this vandalism, so I can't say that I'm disappointed in today's kids - and by kids, I mean the teens and 20-somethings primarily.

What got my blood boiling is that a state that's so heavily dependent on tourist dollars would allow such defacement of her natural beauty to ever see the light of day.

Since I don't live in Maine currently, I don't know how widespread this problem is (but I'm willing to bet that it's likely getting worse, not better) or how long the highway department will allow such blight to continue before doing something about removing or painting over it.

They should be on this cancer like a frog on a June bug. Shame on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
When this does occur, they do paint over it, from what I've seen in traveling to other areas of the state. Sometimes the spray over will be black, other times a more pleasing color--I've seen gray covering a gray rock. We have very little of it here in Washington County, but it seems to pop up near graduation "season" more often than any other time. On the road down into Vanceboro there is actually a very nicely painted memorial on a large rock near the side of the road.

I understand what you're saying though dan, sometimes it just can't get removed or painted over fast enough!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:05 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
lewiston is trying a new program to deal with this which will include a stiffer penalty, amnisty period for any one who wants to turn themselves in (still a little confused about that one), and a grafitti wall where kids freely spraypaint.

it's important to understand that the majority of graffiti is perpetrated by a small minority of teens. And that being here in Maine I do not necessarily think it is "gang" graffiti which imo is a whole other issue.

giving them and acceptable outlet while also have strict punishment for those who violate the law will hopefully reduce this problem to a level where it is not as prevelant.

It sad to drive around and see profanity spray painted on play grounds and rocks ect.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
it's important to understand that the majority of graffiti is perpetrated by a small minority of teens. And that being here in Maine I do not necessarily think it is "gang" graffiti which imo is a whole other issue.

giving them and acceptable outlet while also have strict punishment for those who violate the law will hopefully reduce this problem to a level where it is not as prevelant.

It sad to drive around and see profanity spray painted on play grounds and rocks ect.
Free walls-or legal walls-will not do anything to help curb the problem. All they do is give someone a place to practice their skills, and, honestly no "hardcore" graffiti artists will use them.

As for stiffer penalties, well this may detour some, but it will not stop it all together. I know people who have served numerous jail/prison sentences and yet the continue to keep on doing what they do. It is essentially a cat and mouse game.

Personally, I think that sentencing offenders to community service as well as a rehabilitative justice type of program (where the offender meets with others from the community who are effected by the crime to discuss the issue) will be far more effective then a straight up fine or jail sentence.

Another thing, too, is to try and encourage graffiti artists to use their craft in a more artistic, and legal manner.

As a side-about 90% of graffiti is not gang related. Also, while I suspect that the offenders in Lewiston are teenagers, you'd be surprised as to the fact that most graffiti artists are well into their 20's and 30's and come from all walks of life. One particular "artist" from San Francisco is pushing 40 and wears a three piece suit to his corporate job, just for example.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Free walls-or legal walls-will not do anything to help curb the problem. All they do is give someone a place to practice their skills, and, honestly no "hardcore" graffiti artists will use them.

As for stiffer penalties, well this may detour some, but it will not stop it all together. I know people who have served numerous jail/prison sentences and yet the continue to keep on doing what they do. It is essentially a cat and mouse game.

Personally, I think that sentencing offenders to community service as well as a rehabilitative justice type of program (where the offender meets with others from the community who are effected by the crime to discuss the issue) will be far more effective then a straight up fine or jail sentence.

Another thing, too, is to try and encourage graffiti artists to use their craft in a more artistic, and legal manner.

As a side-about 90% of graffiti is not gang related. Also, while I suspect that the offenders in Lewiston are teenagers, you'd be surprised as to the fact that most graffiti artists are well into their 20's and 30's and come from all walks of life. One particular "artist" from San Francisco is pushing 40 and wears a three piece suit to his corporate job, just for example.
The wall does more than just try and alleviate the illegal graffiti. It gives law enforcement another tool to better identify the culprits. You would then be able to track who, what, and where.

In my experience, at least in Lewiston, we are not dealing with a particularly sophisticated breed of graffiti artists. I certainly doubt any of our graffiti hooligans are wearing an Armani suit to their cooperate job.

I agree many of them will continue their “destruction of property” habits well into their 20’s until they either grow up or get tired of being arrested and going to jail and paying fines.

Even though municipal boundaries are invisible, cities still have to try and tailor a solution that fits their own respective problem

Old 08-17-2007, 10:05 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
The wall does more than just try and alleviate the illegal graffiti. It gives law enforcement another tool to better identify the culprits. You would then be able to track who, what, and where.
That's a smart plan. Houston is like one big illegal art canvas. The overpasses and WAY too many buildings to count or control are ruined. I think it's something that will always exist in bigger cities.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:55 PM

It's something that will always exist in bigger cities because the spineless officials allow it (heck, just look at how our spineless leaders are "solving" the border problem). And one can only hope that it could be restricted to bigger cities.

I'm so fed up with the liberal excuses of letting the putrid little vandals "express themselves", or giving them another "legal" outlet - did someone refer to it as "art"???. As far as I'm concerned this follows that old broken window theory where one begets another until the cancer is universal.

I hate to see my beloved state of Maine trashed in anyway and I hope that the good people of Maine have the sense to deal with human garbage appropriately and not coddle it.

If I had my way, there'd be an open season on graffiti vandals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
That's a smart plan. Houston is like one big illegal art canvas. The overpasses and WAY too many buildings to count or control are ruined. I think it's something that will always exist in bigger cities.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Any idea how quickly they get around to covering up the vandalism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
When this does occur, they do paint over it, from what I've seen in traveling to other areas of the state. Sometimes the spray over will be black, other times a more pleasing color--I've seen gray covering a gray rock. We have very little of it here in Washington County, but it seems to pop up near graduation "season" more often than any other time. On the road down into Vanceboro there is actually a very nicely painted memorial on a large rock near the side of the road.

I understand what you're saying though dan, sometimes it just can't get removed or painted over fast enough!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 PM

27 posts, read 76,173 times
The big problem that according to a statistic I read, (and after working in a Walmart for a few months and seeing the clientelle I tend to believe it) a full 25% of youth (mostly males) between the ages of 18 and 25 neither work nor attend college. Society is going to hell in a handbasket if you ask me. It scares me to think that this is the generation we are going to depend on to take care of us when we are in a nursing home!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
Any idea how quickly they get around to covering up the vandalism?
No, because like I said, we just don't see it a lot in my area. I wonder if a call to the state highway department would tell you? I know they have a location in Bangor, used to be on the Hogan Road, near the intersection of Mt. Hope. Seems to me they don't have any problem getting out to mow along the interstate, they ought to be able to get to that at the same time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine