Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 54,850 times

Advertisements

How are the snow conditions around the Lake now? As soon as the snow is nearly gone in the woods it will be time to start poking around on the land we bought last year. Can hardly wait...

Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum #1 View Post
How are the snow conditions around the Lake now? As soon as the snow is nearly gone in the woods it will be time to start poking around on the land we bought last year. Can hardly wait...
You could still snow shoe around the perimiter of the shallow parts of Graham Lake. If you have an unplowed road into your place you can expect up to two feet of snow in the shaded areas and maybe 3 or 4 inches of ice in places. We still have a patch of driveway that has a 3 inch sheet of ice on it, but it is melting more every day. I walked the dogs a half mile down the unplowed part of our road last night and I wore my snowmobile boots and twice snow was over the tops.

Open water expands more every day AND!!!! the loons are back. Closing my eyes and listening to them almost makes me feel like summer.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,768 times
thanks for the info, an inexperience winter driver like myself have to wait to venture out in the wood road for now, may be 2-3 more weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
You could still snow shoe around the perimiter of the shallow parts of Graham Lake. If you have an unplowed road into your place you can expect up to two feet of snow in the shaded areas and maybe 3 or 4 inches of ice in places. We still have a patch of driveway that has a 3 inch sheet of ice on it, but it is melting more every day. I walked the dogs a half mile down the unplowed part of our road last night and I wore my snowmobile boots and twice snow was over the tops.

Open water expands more every day AND!!!! the loons are back. Closing my eyes and listening to them almost makes me feel like summer.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
thanks for the info, an inexperience winter driver like myself have to wait to venture out in the wood road for now, may be 2-3 more weeks?
Gosh I hope so! If it's windy and dry the snow should go quickly and the mud won't be too deep. We had a couple of close calls at the beginning of March. The road was as soft as we've seen it.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 AM

What a beautiful morning at last! Most of the lake is open, just punky ice around the shore. The last big chunk of driveway ice disappeared over the weekend, although there is still a deep ring around the driveway from the winter plowing. The truck-sized rock just off shore was ice encased and sitting on bare ground two weekends ago and this morning it's half submerged. The loons are calling, the birds are back, the hope of spring is in the air. Keeping the dogs from rolling in newly uncovered dead things is this week's sport. The tiny dog is easy to wash in the sink. The 90 pound doodle has to be dragged kicking and screaming to the tub and it takes two to get the job done. It's a chore to be avoided.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,768 times
I think it is time for me to head up there, I have not learn to drive on snow yet, now from your previous post I also have to learn to drive on mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
What a beautiful morning at last! Most of the lake is open, just punky ice around the shore. The last big chunk of driveway ice disappeared over the weekend, although there is still a deep ring around the driveway from the winter plowing. The truck-sized rock just off shore was ice encased and sitting on bare ground two weekends ago and this morning it's half submerged. The loons are calling, the birds are back, the hope of spring is in the air. Keeping the dogs from rolling in newly uncovered dead things is this week's sport. The tiny dog is easy to wash in the sink. The 90 pound doodle has to be dragged kicking and screaming to the tub and it takes two to get the job done. It's a chore to be avoided.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 54,850 times
Yes, about time to check it out; apparently PPL is starting to refill the lake and the snow in the camp roads is gone. There is probably still snow in the woods though and our camp road may be too soft to drive on- maybe in another week? About a year ago we saw a Great Gray owl there.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM

48 today, overcast and drizzly. Almost no ice in front of my place this morning. A couple of more days and I can stop worrying about the chihuahua-papillon getting loose and chasing the loons out onto the ice and drowning. The loons are driving him crazy. We have to have a when not to bark lesson tonight.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 AM

Default Iceberg spotted on Graham Lake

Ahoy mateys. I couldn't believe my eyes last night so got out the binos and sure enough a huge chunk of ice, and I mean huge, was making it's way up the lake along with a few floating flat pieces. We had a good chuckle thinking about icebergs in 35 foot deep Graham Lake.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 AM

Default Five Fat Deer

Right in the middle of the dirt road past our house yesterday at 6 a.m. AND 6 p.m. Beautiful animals. The doodle shooed them off but didn't chase them either time. The little guy was quite taken aback and stuck close to me. No sign of them this morning. It's sunny and supposed to be in the 50s which helps alleviate our crankiness. The wind howled Sunday and Monday and we stoked the wood stove both days grrrrrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine