Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,323,399 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned this to me after my oldest hit a moose with her car last Sunday.

I've heard in June "the babies" are running about because the bugs drive them batty and they tend to be on the highways more.

But... is this the time of year that our "Maine" Roads are getting moose because they are "Ruttin'?

Thanks for imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,336,360 times
I don't know but, we did see a very large bull moose standing in the middle of our road yesterday morning. We kept our distance and waited until he decided to wander off.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM

119 posts, read 262,545 times
Yes, the peak of the rut is usually about the 3rd week of September. It is driven by the shortening hours of daylight, but they really don't like to move much when it is too warm. It has been unusally warm this year so it may be a little later this year.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

6,619 posts, read 13,470,029 times
Two bulls fought 200' from me one night last week. I've heard grunting bulls but no cows yet.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 PM

277 posts, read 888,008 times
I have the worst luck when it comes to seeing moose...this thread made me think about it....I have been to Jackman and Tomhegan/Rockwood 6 times in the last say 8 our 9 weeks and have seen zero moose...

I'd love to catch two moose fighting.

Sent using Tapatalk

Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 AM

119 posts, read 262,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
I have the worst luck when it comes to seeing moose...this thread made me think about it....I have been to Jackman and Tomhegan/Rockwood 6 times in the last say 8 our 9 weeks and have seen zero moose...

I'd love to catch two moose fighting.

Sent using Tapatalk
You won't see many in the middle of the day when it is warm. The best time is right at dawn, for about 30 minutes before sunrise.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM

468 posts, read 754,421 times
Last week, I could pretty much find a certain moose any evening at dusk that I cared to walk about my back wood lot.

He had tracks all over the place too.

He didn't care to get too close to me and neither did I to him.

But.... Had I had a moose permit (I don't hunt) he would have been an easy shot any evening I cared to go for him.

Some years ago, hiking around some of the Public Reserved Land on the north side of Moosehead lake, a cow and I practically walked into each other one evening.

Then there are the several moose I've almost hit around the Rangeley area.

They're all too easy to find if you ask me!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM

30,164 posts, read 23,555,924 times
What did the cow do when you and she bumped in to one another? What did you do?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 PM

468 posts, read 754,421 times
I was walking on an over-grown trail while she was standing behind some very tall grass and brush just to the side. We didn't actually touch but came within about 6 feet I'd say.

I froze, spoke to it very softly, and backed up, still facing it. She really didn't do much actually. She just stood there for a minute or more before turning completely away from me and rather casually walking away into taller wooded growth behind her.

I was impressed with her coolness while I myself, I hate to say it, was shaking pretty badly for a minute or so.

This was a summer evening, third or so week in July, just before sunset, if that matters.

Also, clarifying my earlier post....regarding the moose I've almost hit around Rangeley - I was talking about hitting the moose while driving, if that's not clear.

Last edited by beltrams; 09-30-2011 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Added a new, last, sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: