Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
You mean people in this economy can actually retire??

"If I don't work then I might as well be dead," is a common theme here. Seriously, many of the old folks in Maine work until they die, and it's not only for financial reasons. I've met a guy who excavates septic systems and a plumber in their 70s; a carpenter, a plumbing inspector and hardware store owner well into their 80s; a farmer in his 90s running a tractor, and a motel owner in her 90s.
My husband will also fit right in. When we do move he will be about 50yrs old and 'retired'. Of course, he won't stay retired . Even when he is on vacation, he is out cutting down trees, chopping wood, working on his truck, etc. He can't imagine ever not doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM

157 posts, read 327,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
My husband will also fit right in. When we do move he will be about 50yrs old and 'retired'. Of course, he won't stay retired . Even when he is on vacation, he is out cutting down trees, chopping wood, working on his truck, etc. He can't imagine ever not doing something.
Daydreamin - our husbands must come form the same gene pool!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
I can relate to this, except for the "retired" part.

Now, as a good wife, are you out helping him?? or would you be "in the way"?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I can relate to this, except for the "retired" part.

Now, as a good wife, are you out helping him?? or would you be "in the way"?
I'm no good at chopping wood (I try, but it's pretty sad), but I do help to bring the trees down, and to stack the wood! He tells me he appreciates the help, though, he does tease me about being in the way. At least I think he is teasing

He gets to retire early from a state job, so I'm happy he'll be able to focus on doing more of what he wants to do like working with his hands.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
You mean people in this economy can actually retire??
Retiring in any economy is largely dependent on whether you looked ahead to retirement when you were 24 years old. When we are 24, we can't imagine what it might be like when we are 62. Most of us, at least the Boomers, assumed that that day would never come, and so we never made any preparations. We never invested by putting a little bit away, like 7-11% of our gross income, each year. Or we never found a job that had a defined benefit pension that couldn't be touched by any government(often those take that 7-11% out of your paycheck for you).

So people don't retire in economies they are in. They actually retire, so to speak in the economy as it was 40 yerars before they actually retire, because that's the economy that they made a decison and stuck to it to save and invest for a time which is actually almost three times longer away than they have actually been alive at that time.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Retiring in any economy is largely dependent on whether you looked ahead to retirement when you were 24 years old. When we are 24, we can't imagine what it might be like when we are 62. Most of us, at least the Boomers, assumed that that day would never come, and so we never made any preparations. We never invested by putting a little bit away, like 7-11% of our gross income, each year. Or we never found a job that had a defined benefit pension that couldn't be touched by any government(often those take that 7-11% out of your paycheck for you).

So people don't retire in economies they are in. They actually retire, so to speak in the economy as it was 40 yerars before they actually retire, because that's the economy that they made a decison and stuck to it to save and invest for a time which is actually almost three times longer away than they have actually been alive at that time.
...and , but, even when we did put away in 401 Ks - they've become virtually valueless in todays economy sad but true

Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
...and, but, even when we did put away in 401 Ks - they've become virtually valueless in todays economy sad but true
Nearly all investment vehicles are / were gambles.

My grandparents and parents taught my siblings and I to never trust banks nor the stock market. They did well with rental properties [after the 'Grapes of Wraith' migration to the West Coast and a decade spent as migrant farm worker Okies]

So I did rental real estate. Which did really well for me, from 1985 to 2009, when all of my tenants lost their jobs.

Even the best investment vehicle is a gamble. One form of investment may be good during one kind of economy, while another form of investment is better for other economies.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Even the best investment vehicle is a gamble. One form of investment may be good during one kind of economy, while another form of investment is better for other economies.
Couldn't agreee more on that statement !
If all else fails - there's always hiding our $$ under the mattress - which is what my Grandmother would've done.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
... If all else fails - there's always hiding our $$ under the mattress - which is what my Grandmother would've done.

Houses sometimes burn down along with mattresses.

A coffee can set into a shallow hole, inside the chicken coop with the water-bowl [or feeder] set on it; will likely survive better.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Houses sometimes burn down along with mattresses.

A coffee can set into a shallow hole, inside the chicken coop with the water-bowl [or feeder] set on it; will likely survive better.
Thanks, Forest!! Now I have to move mine. Dang!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine