Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Perhaps in my travels I have become handicapped. Ethnic food handicapped.

Anyone who has been to Mexico, I suppose would just know that you would never find similar food in New England. So once you have eaten Mexican food, you then become handicapped and unable to accept poor imitations.

My last duty station and where my family was living when I retired was Italy, so perhaps we have become handicapped since we have eaten the real 'thing'.

You would kind of think that with some Americans who claim Italian ancestry, there would be some similar food offered here. Alas my expectations are too high.

I do know a Vietnamese immigrant lady who cooks Korean food and it is fairly tasty. She left VN as a child, and I have no idea where she was introduced to Korean food. She sells her food out of the back of her station wagon in Orono and Bar Harbor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I can't imagine Mexican food in Maine. We didn't try any when we were there in March. I do expect, after having authentic Mexican cooks feed us for so many years here in Houston, that it just won't be the same. Good thing I've learned a few things to cook myself from my Mexican friends!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Sounds like we could put together one heckuva pot luck supper with all of the cooks in here.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:27 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Sounds like our *current* town. We have 4 in a community that only takes 4-5 minutes to drive from one end of town to the other. And TWO of them in this small space are Dollar Generals. Why? They all carry nearly the same identical things.

We also have 4 Mexican Food restaurants PLUS a Taco Bell. Don't understand the logic there either. Diversity, people, please! Can someone say Chinese Food?
elcarim,,,i thought the dollar stores were a good concept, but a fad, since we (maine) already has established cheap discount stores (reny's and mardens)
i remember saying ...i was surprised no dollar stores came to augusta (thinking they did thier analysis,,and maybe augusta was just saturated with retail stores,,,then,,two dollar stores,,opened ,,almost side by side,,,(in the shaws plaza) the family dollar and dollar tree,,
now,,if they really did thier market studies,,they'd put a family dollar in gardiner,,, gardiner and surrounding towns (randolph, pittston, farmingdale, chelsea, south gardiner, and west gardiner,,,,you combine all these towns populations and itsclose to 18-20k of people and very little stores to choose from,,(the only place to buy clothes in gardiner,, and these other towns, is reny's,) so that pushes us all to go to augusta..
i saw that a few family dollars,,,opened in aroostook, county,,,tho i hardly see anyone in them,,(they must be doing ok,,they are still open)

Old 08-24-2007, 02:30 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
I can't imagine Mexican food in Maine. We didn't try any when we were there in March. I do expect, after having authentic Mexican cooks feed us for so many years here in Houston, that it just won't be the same. Good thing I've learned a few things to cook myself from my Mexican friends!
there is a margheritas or margerita's in augusta,,,,i've enjoyed ,,,thier food,,most of the time,, as far as aunthenticity,,i wouldnt have a clue,,no frame of reference,,,but was more than satisfied with the taste of the food,,and they make great rum smoothies!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 AM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
Audry if you really want the truth do not move to Maine it is not the rose garden it is sometimes painted!! Maine changed about 25 year's ago and has got progressively worse!! Don't no why but it is sad!!
LTTT - I think we have to distinguish here between coastal Maine and inland Maine. You, I think, are referring generally to inland Maine, which is mostly rural and stagnant - economically and culturally. The coast is an entirely different ball of wax. It is otherworldly beautiful, mysteriously attractive, and growing increasingly affluent, but not by virtue of local industry but due to the fact that the mostly in-migrant (aka of fka PFAs) residents are bringing affluence with them. (Have you checked coastal real estate lately? Look at this At Maine Coast Properties we sell coastal,waterfront, and oceanfront real estate and tell me that it's not a very different world from Caribou.) These relatively new residents are able to overwhelm and displace the "corruption and good ol' boy politics", should they exist, that I think you are referring to. They have the resources.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:19 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Default Good Mexican food in ME

Quote:

I've been to a couple of good Mex places in ME, one in Brunswick and the other a bit further North. I was pleasantly surprised, since I've also eaten genuine Mexican fare. The one further North on Rt. 1 is run by Mexicans/Hondurans and the food was fantastic. If the pepper sauses on the table don't have enough fire in them, just ask for the stuff they keep in the back for themselves- they will gladly get it for you.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM

10 posts, read 24,697 times
Default Bee's

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Bees go out away from their hive, and do not return, the colony population 'collapse's. Without enough mass in her colony a queen can not keep her colony going, so they die.

It would seem that for now, the only folks who are hit the least by this are the big guys who truck their bees. They take their bees North for the summers, and South for the winters. Their bees never experience 'winter'. They 'only' lose about 40% of their hives per year. But their bees continue to swarm, allowing new queens to be born and to divide the colonies. So even through these huge losses, they are producing new colonies.

It is the small beekeepers that are completely wiped out year after year.

As for 'localized', this is an issue felt world-wide. Every beekeeper, in every nation of the planet has lost hives. Every farmer in every nation has lost production from 'Colony Collapse'.

I am not sure of how to 'localise' it. Now of how to speak of it in terms of it being local.
This probably has nothing to do with keeping hives but for the past 5 years or so I have noticed almost a complete lack of other bee's as well.We used to have all kinds of wasp and hornet nests all the time in the eve's of all our buildings.Now I hardly ever see any hives or bee's.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Is there good French food (not french fries!) in the mid-coast area? I don't know that I've ever really had genuine French cuisine before, but would love to give it a try. NO ESCARGOT!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Perhaps in my travels I have become handicapped. Ethnic food handicapped.

You would kind of think that with some Americans who claim Italian ancestry, there would be some similar food offered here. Alas my expectations are too high.

Alas, we found the same to be true when we lived in Maine. If you have traveled the world, do not go searching for ethnic foods in Maine. However local Maine specialities ( and some French Canadian foods- like ployes) can be tasty

We did notice that each new influx of refugeesimmigrants brought some tasty restaurants to the greater Portland area: Cambodia/Thai, Afghani, Cuban. Hoepfully that is continuing. I know Somali food is quite tasty- maybe there are some cafes in Lewiston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine