Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

yes i know ANOTHER mooving to Maine thread !!

my husband and i are trying to move to Maine in a month or 2...we are looking to live in or around Camden. we lOOOve Maine we went back 4 times this year..i forgot to mention that we are moving from Alexandria VA the DC area....my husband is a disabeled veteran so he gets money every month tax free, i used to manage a shoe store and made around 80k a year, i am not looking to make the same, we don't need have kids, but we have 4 dogs.
I guess my question is? anybody here from Camden? how is it year around? we are either buying a home or renting one...i simply can't wait..Maine is the most beautiful state in the US.
thanks so much in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,089 times
Hey there. I live in Stafford, VA .. about an hour from DC and we are thinking of moving to Maine. I lived there when I was really young but I can't remember but so much. Are you guys just packing up and going?

Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 PM

yes we are ! we are VERY tired of living here...the stress and the weather as well as the politics Maine is perfect for us! we have plenty of coats/jackets/gloves/mittens ....so bring it on winter!!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM

27 posts, read 76,153 times
Camden is gorgeous. It's very artsy and ecclectic. It's bustling with tourists and related traffic in the summer, but totally quiet in the other 9 months. It has a quaint downtown with little specialty shops and it's not far from Rockland which has the larger stores. There is a new YMCA in Camden and one in nearby Belfast as well. Camden Hills state park offers hiking, camping and a rocky coastline to picnic at. It's a nice place. It's pricey for the average Mainer, but off season you can rent a house for about $800/month. Check out classifieds etc. in www.villagesoup.com. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:33 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
Agreed, Maine is the most beautiful state in the US! And Camden is definitely "the jewel". I wouldn't live there because of the heavy tourist climate and the maine road running right through the middle of town, but it is sure beautiful! I think there will be plenty of year-round activities there for you.

I'm excited for you!!

Old 08-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Aww, thank you all so much we loved Camden, i always wanted to live on the coast. we are concidering Rockland as well, we found a house we really liked in Liberty Maine, anybody familiar? it has a very nice 5 acres of land, would be GREAT for the dogs
please tell me about other coastal towns that you think would suit our needs.
thanks a bunch again

Old 08-18-2007, 05:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
newfy, in general the further north along the coast you go, the less expensive housing would be--excluding Bar Harbor!--in Washington County, housing is relatively easy to find, but jobs may not be depending on what you both do. Take a look at the Machias/Lubec/Eastport areas, and see if that works for you. Best wishes and good luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:26 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
newfy, in general the further north along the coast you go, the less expensive housing would be--excluding Bar Harbor!--in Washington County, housing is relatively easy to find, but jobs may not be depending on what you both do. Take a look at the Machias/Lubec/Eastport areas, and see if that works for you. Best wishes and good luck!
I agree with Mollysmiles. I'm not sure if it would suit your needs, but Eastport is beautiful and happens to be the town we fell in love with.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
We fell in love with Belfast because it's the same quaint, seaside village feel without the heavy tourist traffic and commercialized tourist stuff. It's slightly off Rt 1 which apparently helps. And when I say "off" route 1, I mean 3 minutes off, not off in the boondocks from the main road.

It's not as big as Camden or as modern looking, which we appreciate. To me, it feels more like Andy Griffith's Mayberry community but on the ocean.

Now, we have decided to lease a house for a couple of years until we know for sure that's where we want to grow roots before we invest in a home. You know that visiting is always different than living there, so we just want to be sure. When we spend more time getting acclimated to the area, we may find that our needs and desires are better fulfilled moving northward along the coast. We want a simple, old fashioned life for our family and need to be somewhere that is SO far behind the times, that it takes a LOOOONG time for "progress" to reach us. I can say that I don't see us ever moving close to Portland. After spending the last 37 years in the Houston area, we want NOTHING to do with the "big city".

When the kids are grown and we can retire without employment having to be a consideration, you may just find us WAY up in the county in a little cabin in the woods.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We fell in love with Belfast because it's the same quaint, seaside village feel without the heavy tourist traffic and commercialized tourist stuff. It's slightly off Rt 1 which apparently helps. And when I say "off" route 1, I mean 3 minutes off, not off in the boondocks from the main road.

It's not as big as Camden or as modern looking, which we appreciate. To me, it feels more like Andy Griffith's Mayberry community but on the ocean.

Now, we have decided to lease a house for a couple of years until we know for sure that's where we want to grow roots before we invest in a home. You know that visiting is always different than living there, so we just want to be sure. When we spend more time getting acclimated to the area, we may find that our needs and desires are better fulfilled moving northward along the coast. We want a simple, old fashioned life for our family and need to be somewhere that is SO far behind the times, that it takes a LOOOONG time for "progress" to reach us. I can say that I don't see us ever moving close to Portland. After spending the last 37 years in the Houston area, we want NOTHING to do with the "big city".

When the kids are grown and we can retire without employment having to be a consideration, you may just find us WAY up in the county in a little cabin in the woods.
i know of a house/camp in forrest city for sale, has electricity, septic, well, 10 acres, and a right of way to east grand lake.
has two bedrooms, hardly used..built about 8 yrs ago.
forrest city is about 30 minutes north of princeton.
wildlife galore!!
its my fathers place, tho he hardly ever uses it,, maybe 2-3 times a year. and he's thinking of selling.

so when the time comes elcarim,,,for that place in the woods,,email me,,lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine