Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times

Advertisements

Looks like they are doing just fine without it

Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
lol BacktoNE!

I have to say I don't know who's great idea it was to wave white towels....but geez, I'd swap 'em out for purple ones PDQ....looked like the entire crowd was surrendering earlier....

The Sox just play smart ball. For the second time I can recall this season, Lowell has pulled a hidden ball trick. The last time I said that someone had a wise comment, but it's just smart. Similar to Papelbon tagging Holliday out at first in game 2... He KNEW Holliday steals on the first pitch....he waited, let him lead, waited, let him lead a little more....then boom...Holliday couldn't get back to the bag!! Smart ball playing...

I wonder how full Coors stadium was in June?? I'm thinking that at the very least, the Rockies have probably doubled their fan base, I bet by a substantial amount. That's nothing to sneeze at in a die-hard football town. They've worked hard to get here....geez, I can't remember....is it 15 years since the expansion teams? I can't remember!! I'm tired!.....

sitting here (in Belfast El!!) in my Red Sox shirt!! it's the top of the 5th, and the Sox are up 6-zip....and Drew just hit a double.....cool......now, I'm not bragging here....just informin' ya!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
Uhuh! I was in transit since the 6th.....just about to go online to see what happened. What are you doing in Belfast?

Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 AM

38 posts, read 162,467 times
Thumbs up One more to go!

It wasn't "pretty" but it was enough!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
I think the Rockies have lost the will to live! That was an awesome game - I actually got to see the last play this time!!! Go Sox!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times
Okay, let's think about tonight just for a second. Jon Lester is a cancer survivor. Earlier this season (in June, I think) he pitched a no hitter. Now tonight he is starting Game 4 and has the potential to win the clinching game of the World Series! But really, he doesn't have a lot of pressure on him because Beckett is in the wings for tomorrow night anyway.

How cool would it be for Jon and his family if he could pull of the win tonight!! So exciting!

So Molly, whatcha doing in Belfast???

Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
That's ten. They still need one more. And it's only going to get tougher . . . okay, who'm I kidding? I finally have to acknowledge that the Sox are sitting pretty. However, I have too much of the longtime Sox fan in me to keep from being a bit nervous until the deal is closed.

The game tonight could be tough. Both starting pitchers have seen little or no work recently. Either or both could be rusty. For all we know, tonight's game could continue the trend this series, where there's a different kind of game each night, but the ultimate result is that the Sox win. Maybe tonight both pitchers will be off, and the Sox will win a 14-11 slugfest. But, with both starters having to shake off the rust, tonight's game is problematic. That last win could be tough to nail down. We'll see.

How's Belfast, Molly?

Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Default This feels kind of strange.

What feels strange is seeing the Sox in the role of the big monster that America's favorite underdog has to try and find a way to overcome. On the thread at the Denver forum that has been referred to on here, there were some posts during the ALCS, after the Rockies clinched the pennant, raising the question of which team the Rox fans would rather have their team face. There were mixed opinions expressed. One post summed it up by saying something to the effect that it would be good to play the Indians because the Rockies would have a better chance of winning, but preferable on the other hand to play the Sox, IF the Rockies could manage to beat them, because it would be more fun to beat Goliath.

Goliath? Goliath! The Sox? It does not compute. I know the rest of the country must see it that way, but I've got to say that as a longtime Sox fan, I find that it's so deeply ingrained a mindset to see the Sox as the team with angst-ridden history, always struggling against overwhelming odds, that it really does seem kind of strange to suddenly have them in the Goliath role.

Feels kind of good, but strange nonetheless.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 PM

Default a nice news story

A couple of nights ago, the news on one of the Boston channels had a gets-you-right-there kind of story about Jacoby Ellsbury's home town. He grew up in Oregon, in a real, non-suburban, all-American kind of small town. The story was about how the whole town is swelling with pride over having a local boy making good in the Bigs. There was a nice moment in the story where they interviewed Ellsbury's father, who talked about how it feels to watch his son play in the World Series. Really nice, touching piece. I wish NESN would pick up the story, so Sox fans all over could see it. I thought people in Maine would appreciate this, since Maine has so many of those genuine small towns. Imagine the kind of excitement there would be in Machias or Eastport or Calais or Brewer if a local kid ever were to be a star in the Series. That's the kind of thing happening now in Ellsbury's home town. It was a fun story that added another nice touch to this wonderful season.

Last edited by ogre; 10-28-2007 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,377,875 times
Isn't it nice to see "good news" on tv? I like that kind of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine