Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times

Advertisements

Jordan's Furnture in Boston had a deal, if you bought furniture in March or April, and the Sox won, you get a full rebate. Thousands of people are REAL happy right now!!! lol
Series Win Means Free Furniture For Thousands - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14442981/detail.html - broken link)

Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
We are THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Last night's game was definitly the most nail-biting. The others were such give-a-aways. We got to watch beginning to end of last nights, and the last inning was worth the whole night!!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
First of all..WOOHOO!!!!

Now, on the business side. The Sox do NOT need A-Rod. He is arrogant, and lets face it, completely useless after Sept 30th. It's like he has an "off" switch that gets flipped on Oct 1st.

Mike Lowell has proven to be one of the best gets of the year and Theo will have to be locked up in a straight jacket if they let Mike go. Sign him for 2 or 3 years, with a BIG salary and he will still be cheaper than A-Rod and a far better fit with the rest of the team.

Schilling? He's priceless in the post season but looking at him from a completely practical point of view, how much more does he have in that shoulder? His fast ball is down to 88 mph.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:06 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
First of all..WOOHOO!!!!

Now, on the business side. The Sox do NOT need A-Rod. He is arrogant, and lets face it, completely useless after Sept 30th. It's like he has an "off" switch that gets flipped on Oct 1st.

Mike Lowell has proven to be one of the best gets of the year and Theo will have to be locked up in a straight jacket if they let Mike go. Sign him for 2 or 3 years, with a BIG salary and he will still be cheaper than A-Rod and a far better fit with the rest of the team.

Schilling? He's priceless in the post season but looking at him from a completely practical point of view, how much more does he have in that shoulder? His fast ball is down to 88 mph.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting.

One theory I've heard about Schilling is that he himself will want to go somewhere else, probably to a team in the NL. The thinking goes that a couple of more seasons with a solid number of wins will clinch a spot for him in the Hall of Fame, and he's more likely to get those wins against NL lineups. It certainly will be interesting to see how this all plays out, but that's something to think about tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe next month. I'm just enjoying the accomplishments of this year's team for now. Que sera, sera.

Last edited by ogre; 10-29-2007 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Default The one final piece has fallen into place.

There's no way to find any flaw in the '04 season, not any major flaw. There will always be something special about that lovable bunch of Idiots who broke The Curse. Nothing else will ever quite compare to that, unless maybe the Sox go thirty years or so without another championship and then win again.

Still, there has been one little thing nagging at me the past three years: They were the wild card. Personally, I think the Sox in '04 were baseball's best team of the year, with room to spare, and finished the regular season in second because of major injury troubles that meant they never had their team completely together until the end of July (Mueller, Nixon, and Nomar each out for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 months).

Now, truth be told, maybe it should be enough that I feel certain they had the best team that year, but it still has nagged at me, just a little, to see the Sox finally win a championship only to read the occasional article that portrayed them as just a wild card that got lucky. The big reason that this year's team is special is that it's another championship with a really likeable bunch of players. It's a new group of players and a whole new story, and it's great. But it's extra-special because this time the Sox were in first place from the middle of April on. They had the best record in the majors for nearly the entire season. They finished tied for the best record, then in the playoffs beat the team they shared the best record with. Then they proceeded to sweep the best the other league had to offer. April to October. Wire to wire. There is no way anyone can legitimately doubt (though I'm sure some MFY fans will try) that this was THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

Ain't it sweet.

Last edited by ogre; 10-29-2007 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
My thoughts on "luck"......I thought it was pretty funny that the Rockies kept being touted as "talented", "impressive" and "awesome" to name a few labels I heard from commentators over the last week. Yet the "lucky wild cards" came in and swept the, ahem, SOX off them!

Luck? I'm guessing NOT!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM

38 posts, read 162,502 times
Default Ain't life grand?!

A blow-out for the Pats and a trophy for the Sox! I'm a happy, happy fan today!

One of the owners said it best: The win in 2004 for was for our parents and grandparents (who were "cursed" all those years). This year's win was for us and our kids.

Here's to many, many more!

Anybody goin' to the parade?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
There's no way to find any flaw in the '04 season, not any major flaw. There will always be something special about that lovable bunch of Idiots who broke The Curse. Nothing else will ever quite compare to that, unless maybe the Sox go thirty years or so without another championship and then win again.

Still, there has been one little thing nagging at me the past three years: They were the wild card. Personally, I think the Sox in '04 were baseball's best team of the year, with room to spare, and finished the regular season in second because of major injury troubles that meant they never had their team completely together until the end of July (Mueller, Nixon, and Nomar each out for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 months).

Now, truth be told, maybe it should be enough that I feel certain they had the best team that year, but it still has nagged at me, just a little, to see the Sox finally win a championship only to read the occasional article that portrayed them as just a wild card that got lucky. The big reason that this year's team is special is that it's another championship with a really likeable bunch of players. It's a new group of players and a whole new story, and it's great. But it's extra-special because this time the Sox were in first place from the middle of April on. They had the best record in the majors for nearly the entire season. They finished tied for the best record, then in the playoffs beat the team they shared the best record with. Then they proceeded to sweep the best the other league had to offer. April to October. Wire to wire. There is no way anyone can legitimately doubt (though I'm sure some MFY fans will try) that this was THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

Ain't it sweet.
04 Sox were better for that ONE season this 07 team will be together for alot longer. 04 team was built for OCT. This team has alot of October's

Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsista1 View Post
A blow-out for the Pats and a trophy for the Sox! I'm a happy, happy fan today!

One of the owners said it best: The win in 2004 for was for our parents and grandparents (who were "cursed" all those years). This year's win was for us and our kids.

Here's to many, many more!

Anybody goin' to the parade?
I didn't make the parade, Twisted, but you'd better believe I've been checking it out on the tube. Even have the reruns on tonight. I know that soon enough it'll be time to get back to the normal humdrum, but t's hard to get enough of all this right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine