Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 AM

25 posts, read 75,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This may expose me as the outsider that I am, but can someone please explain to me the fascination that Mainers have for the Red Sox?

I could understand if they were called, maybe the New England Red Sox, but c'mon-Boston is in a completely different state.
New England Patriots live in Mass. Boston Celtics live in Mass. Boston Bruins live in Mass. Patriots Day, is STILL a holiday in only two states: Maine and Mass.

Maine was part of Massachusetts until some year that I care not to look up at this time, 1820 I think... Most of the communities that have such history was all raised under the state of Massachusetts. So even though we are considered "Maineiacs" we are really "M*******s" LOL.

Anyway, besides that obvious relation, the bottom line is, other than the Portland Sea Dogs, which has a good following, The Red Sox are the only MLB team that defines anything relative to New England.

Added in the other stuff hoping it relates to the answer...
I couldn't help it,. I looked it up
"...23rd state on March 15, 1820. "
How many towns were founded before 1820? All of them part of Massachusetts... Would be neat to find a "York, Massachusetts" letter...

Oops, Go RED SOX!

Last edited by ALToons; 09-01-2007 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Forgot to cheer for my team :)

Old 09-01-2007, 09:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Default No-hitter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
this was the highlight of the MFY's season cause they aint goin anywhere in OCT except to the golf course
In case anyone doesn't already know at the time of reading this, Clay Buckholz just NO-HIT the Orioles! Way to go!

Hey BigChuckie, QUIET with that talk about golf in October. There have been a few times this season when I too have caught myself thinking about how nice it would be if for once the playoffs did not include MFY, or, as I usually refer to them, TDY (milder term, but, believe me, my feelings are intense), but I try to put these thoughts out of mind as soon as I have them. Don't want to jinx anything, ya know.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALToons View Post
New England Patriots live in Mass. Boston Celtics live in Mass. Boston Bruins live in Mass. Patriots Day, is STILL a holiday in only two states: Maine and Mass.

Maine was part of Massachusetts until some year that I care not to look up at this time, 1820 I think... Most of the communities that have such history was all raised under the state of Massachusetts. So even though we are considered "Maineiacs" we are really "M*******s" LOL.

Anyway, besides that obvious relation, the bottom line is, other than the Portland Sea Dogs, which has a good following, The Red Sox are the only MLB team that defines anything relative to New England.

Added in the other stuff hoping it relates to the answer...
I couldn't help it,. I looked it up
"...23rd state on March 15, 1820. "
How many towns were founded before 1820? All of them part of Massachusetts... Would be neat to find a "York, Massachusetts" letter...

Oops, Go RED SOX!
That would be interesting. Somewhere you can probably dig up old newspapers, or official records, as well as letters. It's like a short story I once read that was written in something like the 1850's, some time before the Civil War, anyway. The story was set in Wheeling, not West Virginia, which didn't exist yet at the time, but Wheeling, Virginia.

But, to get this back on topic, just in case anyone reading this doesn't know yet, and skimmed past my last post, Clay Buckholz just threw a no-hitter! Right on!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
Thumbs up Woo Hoo!!

wow ogre! when you posted that last night about the no-hitter, I'm sitting here thinking "who???" Is that the same kid from Pawtucket?? NOW I know! and yes, it is!!.....we're talking about a 23 year old kid who is only the THIRD pitcher since 1900 to throw a NO HITTER in his first or second major league start!!! The score? 10-ZIP after his 115 pitches--and folks, no relief from the bullpen....he pitched the entire game!

Geez, MFY, how's Clemens? How OLD is he? geez....and this kid came out of college in 2005 and was part of compensation for Pedro going to free agent status....where's Pedro??? oh, yea.....

I'm soooo proud!! the bummer is I didn't get to SEE it!! memo to self: TIVO ALL games!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Just a quick question about last nights game. How did the 5th inning get scored? I've followed baseball from the time I knew what a baseball was. 5th inning-1 out. 2 men on base (1st and 2nd). Batter hit a very hard chopper to SS who backhands the ball (only way to even reach it, no time to set up in front of it) which hits the heel of his glove and drops right at his feet, he picks it up and throws for the force out at 2nd base (not scored as an error). Now men on 1st and 3rd. (guy on 2nd advanced to 3rd, batter goes to 1st). I'm just confused how that was scored. If MLB calls it a no-no, it's a no-hit game, but, I just missed how that was in the books.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Default It's a fielder's choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Just a quick question about last nights game. How did the 5th inning get scored? I've followed baseball from the time I knew what a baseball was. 5th inning-1 out. 2 men on base (1st and 2nd). Batter hit a very hard chopper to SS who backhands the ball (only way to even reach it, no time to set up in front of it) which hits the heel of his glove and drops right at his feet, he picks it up and throws for the force out at 2nd base (not scored as an error). Now men on 1st and 3rd. (guy on 2nd advanced to 3rd, batter goes to 1st). I'm just confused how that was scored. If MLB calls it a no-no, it's a no-hit game, but, I just missed how that was in the books.
I wasn't watching at that point in the game, so I can only speculate about how there happened to be runners on first and second. Since there were no hits, and the Sox made no errors, the only way there could have been men on first and second would be for Buckholz to have given up two walks in that inning. I looked at the box score, and this looks possible. Kevin Millar and Aubrey Huff, who were batting fifth and sixth in the order, would have been up second and third in the fifth inning, provided that Buckholz had faced the minimum possible number of batters up to that time. Millar and Huff did in fact each walk once, so it appears that most likely what happened was that Tejada, who would have led off the fifth (again, assuming Buckholz had faced the minimum at that point) got out, then Millar and Huff walked back-to-back to set up the scenario you describe, with one out and men on first and second.

What happened after that was a fielder's choice. The fielder (shortstop in this case) CHOOSES to take the force-out at second instead of throwing the batter out at first. No rule says that if the fielding team fails to turn a double play the batter gets a hit.

You said the ball was hit hard, which usually would mean the ball would get to the shortstop quickly enough to allow time for a double play, but you also said it was a chopper, which means it probably took too long to get to Lugo (who played short for the Sox last night) for there to be any chance for a double play, meaning Lugo made the CHOICE about which runner to put out, since there was time to put out only one. There probably wasn't time to get the guy running from second to third, since Lugo would have had to do a 180 pivot, so he elected to get the lead runner of the two he had a chance to get. This is not scored as a hit, because the assumption is that if there had been no one on base, the shortstop simply would have thrown out the batter at first. On a basically routine grounder (routine even if a little tricky to handle) where the batter would simply have been thrown out at first if there had been no base runners, the batter is not going to get credit for a hit just because he lucks out and has the infielder choose to go to second, to keep a man out of scoring position, and then there doesn't happen to be time to turn the double play. It's standard baseball scoring that would have been scored this way even if the Orioles already had gotten thirty hits, and is definitely not some fudging of the scoring just to fabricate a cool story about a rookie who pitched a no-hitter.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 PM

Thanks orge for the reply. I wasn't trying to imply that they were fudging the scoring to give the kid a no-no. He did a simply superb job and that kind of stuck out when they said it was a no-hitter. I had to scratch my head and try to recall exactly how a fielders choice was scored and couldn't remember. Makes sense now and once again, thanks.

By the way, I got to watch this game and also the one Verlander threw for Detroit back before the break. Usually I miss them and kick myself the following day for not watching. Get a copy of the game and watch it if you are a Boston fan, or even just a fan of The Game. He showed the kind of cool head and poise you often don't see in a young pitcher. That kid should go far and be a real asset to the Red Sox in the future.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:14 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
I'm going to do just that! I'm looking forward to seeing it....I just hope I'm not sitting there thinking---oh, now this is the point where.....---I'm looking forward to hearing the crowd too....they're saying that they were on their feet and very loud. As it should be!! I guess I missed a good game yesterday too....Red Sox have some good rookies!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm going to do just that! I'm looking forward to seeing it....I just hope I'm not sitting there thinking---oh, now this is the point where.....---I'm looking forward to hearing the crowd too....they're saying that they were on their feet and very loud. As it should be!! I guess I missed a good game yesterday too....Red Sox have some good rookies!

OMG the crowd was unbelievable! I think they had a clue about what they were seeing by the end of the 5th, because it just kept getting louder and louder with each passing out. The kid looked shell shocked after the game when they were trying to get an onfield interview with him. The sportscaster would ask a question and the fans would roar, he would look around the field and you could tell it hadn't even begun to sink in yet.

Some friends of mine were at the game and said it just kept going on and on. I guess you could feel the excitement and just electric feeling in the air. Wish I could have been there, but happy I caught it on the TV anyway. (And I'm not really a Sox fan, my son is; so we watch a Tigers game one day, and a Sox game the next.)

Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
OMG the crowd was unbelievable! I think they had a clue about what they were seeing by the end of the 5th, because it just kept getting louder and louder with each passing out. The kid looked shell shocked after the game when they were trying to get an onfield interview with him. The sportscaster would ask a question and the fans would roar, he would look around the field and you could tell it hadn't even begun to sink in yet.

Some friends of mine were at the game and said it just kept going on and on. I guess you could feel the excitement and just electric feeling in the air. Wish I could have been there, but happy I caught it on the TV anyway. (And I'm not really a Sox fan, my son is; so we watch a Tigers game one day, and a Sox game the next.)
Yeah, his voice was shaking noticeably in the post-game interview. Probably a good sign that he's a cool-headed kid, that he can hold that nervousness in check until the game is over and it won't hurt to let it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine