Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM

411 posts, read 899,120 times

Advertisements

Okay folks.. yes, I know it's been forever. I've been busy, busy, and more busy. Someday I will find time to be here more. lol

My question is this: We are buying a new truck, from NH. Sale will be a used truck from a dealer there. We are NOT financing the truck, but need to get it home to Maine and legal. We will be driving it home. How do we go about getting the needed paperwork? What needs to be done? Calling the insurance company is a given, and transferring the insurance. But what else? It does come w/20 day temp tags from NH. Will that be good enough to be legal to get it home? Then registered here?

Oh, and as an aside... we JUST re registered the truck we'll be selling (it's sold already) and so can we transfer the tags to the new truck? Maybe pay more since there is a 4 year age difference (not to mention the fact that the new truck is a BEAST and the old a Micro Machine in comparison)... how does that work? lol

Thanks, and I know, full of questions! Hope you are all well!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,045 times
I believe you should be all right with the temp plates. You will have to pay sales tax in ME when you register, even if you transfer the registration. I imagine everything else will be adjusted for the new truck's weight and value when you make the transfer.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:32 PM

504 posts, read 902,643 times
I hope it has a warranty with it, I once "just once" bought a vehicle from NH Dealer and 15 day's later the head gasket blew, The dealer said was nothing he could do! Massachusetts has a Lemon Lime Law against such thief's. Be careful...

Old 02-07-2009, 12:42 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,714 times
I have seen temporary transport plated from other states before, but I would think you would be all right with the temp. NH plates. Hope the ME sales tax doesn't take to big of a bite. I forget the size you have to have a commercial plate for, but if it that much bigger than your other pick up that might be required. You might be able to find info on Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
You pay the sales tax, excise tax and registration. If you keep the old truck you pay it on both vehicles.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:29 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Okay folks.. yes, I know it's been forever. I've been busy, busy, and more busy. Someday I will find time to be here more. lol

My question is this: We are buying a new truck, from NH. Sale will be a used truck from a dealer there. We are NOT financing the truck, but need to get it home to Maine and legal. We will be driving it home. How do we go about getting the needed paperwork? What needs to be done? Calling the insurance company is a given, and transferring the insurance. But what else? It does come w/20 day temp tags from NH. Will that be good enough to be legal to get it home? Then registered here?

Oh, and as an aside... we JUST re registered the truck we'll be selling (it's sold already) and so can we transfer the tags to the new truck? Maybe pay more since there is a 4 year age difference (not to mention the fact that the new truck is a BEAST and the old a Micro Machine in comparison)... how does that work? lol

Thanks, and I know, full of questions! Hope you are all well!
You will need to get your insurance and have proof of Maine insurance with you when you drive into the state of Maine. Once here, you will need to go to town hall, pay your excise tax and then go to the registry to pay your sales tax and registration fee. Your old plates may transfer depending on the gross vehicle weight of the "new" truck, or whether or not you want to register it for the full gross vehicle weight. Example: if your new truck is a 1-Ton you can register it as a 3/4 ton truck, the only issue is if you are stopped with it overweight. I had my former 1Ton dually registered this way as it was not ever used to haul its full weight as long as I was driving it. It makes quite a bit of difference, but if your intent is to use the maximum weight of the truck, then it should be registered showing the MSRP max weight capacity (gross vehicle weight rating).

Make sure you get the title of the new truck in your hand before you drive out of the dealer's yard in New Hampshire. You won't be able to do anything unless you have the title in hand.

I have been buying all of my vehicles out of state for the past twelve years with never a hitch. Most of the time I get a transit tag from Maine to take with me, and then I drive it back into the state with a Maine plate. Either way requires proof of insurance.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,391 times
I was told we have 30 days to register our vehicles once we get to Maine. I was thinking of getting vanity plate. Always wanted one, but they are too expensive in Texas. I noticed a lot of people in Maine have them. Are they expensive?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
You will need to get your insurance and have proof of Maine insurance with you when you drive into the state of Maine. Once here, you will need to go to town hall, pay your excise tax and then go to the registry to pay your sales tax and registration fee.
In our township, we pay the excise at DMV.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
KiddinAroundFarm -

Oooooo! New truck!

Will you need your driveway plowed wider to fit this big dually?

Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 PM

411 posts, read 899,120 times
Thanks for your help everyone! We are getting a 3/4 ton, stepping up from 1/2 ton. We keep breaking leaf springs and various other things on the 1/2 ton as we obviously do alot of farm stuff. So... new truck needed. Everything is pretty much as I thought... I'll do the insurance tomorrow after we make one last hay run w/the old truck. Then, after we switch the insurance, and my hubby leaves for NH, I'll go to town office on Monday and see about transferring plates and such. Should be a fairly easy tradeoff. Worried a bit about taxes, but such is life I suppose. Looking to be somewhere around $300 for taxes, and possibly another hundred or so (going higher than necessary) for excess registration fees, etc. Won't be altogether so bad for having a new (to us) truck.

Not a dually Forest, but dang close. Will post pictures and description after we get it home. It does indeed have a warranty, only 30 days, but that will suffice to find out if there are serious issues. After that, it's buyer beware. Luckily, my husband is good at vehicle stuff, and will be looking it over very carefully, and taking it for at least one test drive. We shall see how it goes... this is all very sudden and crazy.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine