Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times

Advertisements

This is a really disturbing story. And even more disturbing as one more example of the growing trend, that anyone can do anything they want, no matter how havoc it wreaks on everyone else.

And then the inevitable discussion follows about how there must be new laws and regulations to prevent this or that abusive practice. This is an issue that currently drives me crazy. There are increasing complaints about "Nanny State" laws that address seemingly small issues. Like here in Arlington VA, drivers are moaning about speed bumps that are put up as a response to 50 - 60 mph driving through neighborhood streets. The speeders complain about their rights, and the neighborhood residents suffer from the noise and danger, and, in my neighborhood, two recent deaths, one adult and one small child who were on their way to the nearby elementary school, at an intersection that is nortorious for speeding, cut through, stop sign runners.

I can imagine that the superpower boat operator and his teenage girl companion must have caused terrible noise problems for the residents of Long Lake, but the residents would have had no recourse with current laws or regulations regarding the death boat.

And this is the kicker. Up until the last generation or so (I am a baby boomer '49) citizens had personal responsiblity, but that is gone now. (I hate to sound like an old guy who complains about the current generation). There was a story in my local Washington Post about a clueless DC man who was surprised to find that his newly purchased 10,000 pound Hummer had been totally trashed by vandals in his driveway. Smashed windows and lots more. These folks don't have a clue.

The fool who thinks that they can buy and operate anything that is manufactured and sold because they can no matter how much damage, or even deaths it inflicts on others is a threat to our civilized society.

I wonder how one deals with the new world where there are no limits or responsibility, where one engages in gross excess, and I mean _really_ gross excess, because there is "only me" and there is nobody else I am concerned about. And about all the damage to a community's livability. And then all the "nanny state" laws that try to deal with all the resulting serious problems which previously didn't exist because citizens lived personal responsibility.

Manufacturer: Powerboat in fatal crash too big for Long Lake (http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=153277&zoneid=500 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:56 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Rescinded Rescinded Rescinded Rescinded

Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,592 times
Default What an awesome subject

quiet walker, I admire your courage to say what you did. I have battled this same subject in my mind as to how to find solutions. Freedom vs regulation. I hate regulation as much as anyone out there but darn it all, we are getting exactly what we deserve because we as a society are more greedy, self-centered and thinking "individual conscience" rather than "community conscience". I am not totally signed on to Hillary's "it takes a village" philosophy but we are in fact responsible to on another to a certain degree and our actions very much affect others though our decisions. Long ago I rejected that notion we all heard as kids "well, you're only hurting yourself". I just sort of believe that if we live responsibly and are considerate toward others we will end up having alot more freedom than we do now.

For the last one that posted, what do you mean by rescinded, rescinded......?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:54 AM

228 posts, read 220,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
quiet walker, I admire your courage to say what you did. I have battled this same subject in my mind as to how to find solutions. Freedom vs regulation. I hate regulation as much as anyone out there but darn it all, we are getting exactly what we deserve because we as a society are more greedy, self-centered and thinking "individual conscience" rather than "community conscience". I am not totally signed on to Hillary's "it takes a village" philosophy but we are in fact responsible to on another to a certain degree and our actions very much affect others though our decisions. Long ago I rejected that notion we all heard as kids "well, you're only hurting yourself". I just sort of believe that if we live responsibly and are considerate toward others we will end up having alot more freedom than we do now.

For the last one that posted, what do you mean by rescinded, rescinded......?
I live by Long Lake and let me tell you they do what they want up there law's or no law's!!!! That's where our people in power party!! And believe me you will never stop that from happening!!! I'm glad they got noticed a little but it is a shame that there having{FUN) has caused people thier lives but I"m sure they will blame it on an outsider!!! This is a fine example of why people need to speak up and not be afraid!!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times
I so agree with you. We can thank our spineless leaders, politicos, judges, and society at large which is going down the tubes for such lax attitudes. If it feels good, do it and screw everyone else if they don't like.

How unfortunate that he survived. I only hope that the moron driving that power boat does some serious jail time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
This is a really disturbing story. And even more disturbing as one more example of the growing trend, that anyone can do anything they want, no matter how havoc it wreaks on everyone else.

And then the inevitable discussion follows about how there must be new laws and regulations to prevent this or that abusive practice. This is an issue that currently drives me crazy. There are increasing complaints about "Nanny State" laws that address seemingly small issues. Like here in Arlington VA, drivers are moaning about speed bumps that are put up as a response to 50 - 60 mph driving through neighborhood streets. The speeders complain about their rights, and the neighborhood residents suffer from the noise and danger, and, in my neighborhood, two recent deaths, one adult and one small child who were on their way to the nearby elementary school, at an intersection that is nortorious for speeding, cut through, stop sign runners.

I can imagine that the superpower boat operator and his teenage girl companion must have caused terrible noise problems for the residents of Long Lake, but the residents would have had no recourse with current laws or regulations regarding the death boat.

And this is the kicker. Up until the last generation or so (I am a baby boomer '49) citizens had personal responsiblity, but that is gone now. (I hate to sound like an old guy who complains about the current generation). There was a story in my local Washington Post about a clueless DC man who was surprised to find that his newly purchased 10,000 pound Hummer had been totally trashed by vandals in his driveway. Smashed windows and lots more. These folks don't have a clue.

The fool who thinks that they can buy and operate anything that is manufactured and sold because they can no matter how much damage, or even deaths it inflicts on others is a threat to our civilized society.

I wonder how one deals with the new world where there are no limits or responsibility, where one engages in gross excess, and I mean _really_ gross excess, because there is "only me" and there is nobody else I am concerned about. And about all the damage to a community's livability. And then all the "nanny state" laws that try to deal with all the resulting serious problems which previously didn't exist because citizens lived personal responsibility.

Manufacturer: Powerboat in fatal crash too big for Long Lake (http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=153277&zoneid=500 - broken link)

Old 08-20-2007, 07:16 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,592 times
Default another fine example of stupidity

I was visiting one of our beautiful locks on the Erie Canal just recently. Lock 7 to be exact. The gates were open and several boats had come in. Along comes 2 young punks screaming up to the lock on their "aqua-crotch-rockets". the Lockmaster screamed out to them to slow down. They didnt obey too readily but obviously had to come to a stop eventually but not without alot of unnecessary waves. They were rebuked again.

Down they all went. The gate on the other end opened up and the punks opened their throttle full blast and shot out of the lock like a cannon ball causing waves that "SLAMMED" 2 BOATS UP AGAINST THE WALL OF THE LOCKS". I see this as nothing less than a "crime" and should be treated as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine