Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:02 PM

75 posts, read 196,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I hit a bee, stinger first, while riding a motorcycle at 50 mph in a tee-shirt. I thought I'd been SHOT! Another time I hit a hornet on my motorcycle helmet and the darn thing fell down my shirt. You want to see someone undress fast... that's a way.
That's why I wear vented gear and full faced helmets. I once hit a bumble bee that ended up inside my 1/2" vented helmet. I also had a big rock get tossed up from an oncoming vehicles tire and hit me square in the chest. It was december, I had a winter jacket, a liner, fleece, long sleeved shirt and a tee...it still left a hell of a bruise.

I know some riders don't like any gear and I always wonder why they look so pissed. After seeing all the bees and stones bounce off my "now closed" visor I can understand. Anyone who gets hit with that much stuff has to be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
ouch~ okay that's like a deer with a car... and speed strippin' is always a challenge.

You .... may have to dress that with a claim card next time.

I saw 4 moose on Route 9.in less then 1.5 hrs.

This is all on my 80 mile drive home.
One sitting off the side of the road beside me.
Second standing on the side of the road "looking to cross ".
Third one was trottin' down Route 9 all it was missing was a rider".
The last one was seen in Crawford speeding across the road nothing but "rear" on a corner too.
I believe my words screamed were.. "Moose.. MOose.. MOOOSE."!!!!
I once followed a moose now the Kijo road. I wanted to pass, but the damn thing would not get out of the road....big and dumb.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:58 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
That's why I wear vented gear and full faced helmets. I once hit a bumble bee that ended up inside my 1/2" vented helmet. I also had a big rock get tossed up from an oncoming vehicles tire and hit me square in the chest. It was december, I had a winter jacket, a liner, fleece, long sleeved shirt and a tee...it still left a hell of a bruise.

I know some riders don't like any gear and I always wonder why they look so pissed. After seeing all the bees and stones bounce off my "now closed" visor I can understand. Anyone who gets hit with that much stuff has to be miserable.
Yeah, after two motorcycle accidents, I always wear a full-faced helmet (always have) and went from a shredded leather jacket to a buffalo hide jacket. Heavier, but hopefully it will resist the asphalt better.

I've also had stuff get inside my helmet, including a hornet that I saw walking up the INSIDE of my sunglasses... that was interesting.

I've always wondered how big an animal can be hit head on with a motorcycle and not go down? I'm not sure about a woodchuck? How about a raccoon? A large dog? A deer? No, I know that answer to a moose. Also, how about birds and collisions in the air?

Last edited by bangorme; 10-02-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM

I once knew a guy who took a turkey to the chest.....not pretty. He described it like getting hit with a bowling ball at speed.

Yup, riding is an adventure at times.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:43 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
I know we usually answer the same question here over and over..
"It's what we do....
So I wanted to see how many us "Road Warriors" have battle scars from the "Highway".

Molly~
I saw a fawn get hit at only speed of 25 miles an our in Baring. Cars slowed down to see a family of deers, we came around the corner to almost stopped traffic
( Some of those deers could of been in the road but we missed it)

So we started looking around and at first couldn't figure out why the traffic was almost stopped.
Then the traffic was moving a bit faster and our lane came to a quick stop as a fawn crossed and the other lane didn't see the fawn and ran over half.
It was so0ooo terrible to see. They were driving some kind of SUV so they couldn't of reacted quicker.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
So far haven't killed any animals but I did hit a metal trash that rolled out in front of me via the wind. Wrapped itself around my rear tire well and made the most awful noise. I was a little less than a mile from home so waited til I got there to extract it.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
2 deer in one night??

Many a weeks I use to hunt, - douse myself with doe urine, walk for miles, set for hours, til I got so cold I was shaking, and still,,,not even see a deer,,

Just don't seem right
Driving a car, you don't even have to douse yourself with doe urine. Life is not fair at times

Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have hit a few dogs, a pheasant, lots of snakes and frogs, a few turtles.

So far I have avoided turkeys, deer and moose. Once a moose ran alongside my car pacing me for 100 yards.

I have hit a few snowbanks.

Once on ice I slid into a parked car.

Once an oil slick carried me into a car that had nailed the guardrail, that ended up being a 30 vehicle pile-up.

Once a car shifted into my lane and pushed me into a guardrail [I was on a motorcycle]. That was nice.

Once on a freeway, I was driving through a patch of fog, when I came up onto a huge array of flashing rear lights. Some of them were sliding sideways, so I was pretty sure it was a pile-up. I went into the passing lane and passed by the first couple of vehicles that were piled into each other. Then as I approached the blockage in the passing lane, I thought I might clear the pile-up if I went onto the left shoulder. But the gap between guardrail and the pile-up was not enough for me to get through. I nailed them, and got wedged between the pile-up and the guardrail. Just as I was thinking about climbing out through my window, I saw headlights coming at me from behind. It became clear that it was an 18-wheel truck with all the Christmas tree lighting lit-up, his headlight beams were swinging back and forth, so I knew that he was just sliding along and had lost control. So I rev'ed my engine and just as he nailed me, I popped my clutch. I shot through the gap between guardrail and piled-up vehicles like a bar of soap. After another mile the fog cleared.

Last spring I backed our car into a backhoe bucket.

Twice I have stopped for trees laying across the roadway and have found beaver slowly dragging them across. The first time it happened the only thing that made sense to me was to get out and help the beaver drag the tree clear of the road. I did not want to tear up my car by hitting the tree. Funny thing is that a month later, I stopped for a second tree and again ended up helping the beaver.

Once I was ran-over by a police car. I was walking on a pier when the vehicle hit me from behind. I rolled up over the hood, got some lift when the windshield threw me up high. So at least I missed the overhead light bar attached to the vehicle [that would have hurt]. I landed on the pavement behind the vehicle. The driver was an MP that worked for me, I was his supervisor. He thought it was a great prank to play on me. He was never allowed to drive a military vehicle again. The kid had been raised on Ritalin, enlisting was the first time for him to experience life without the effects of those drugs. So he was missing some judgement skills.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
Do you now understand why I get nervous when you drive MY car?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Many years ago I hit a deer with a company car while driving down to Bar Harbor one night. When the district manager was in our office and asking me about it, I told him that had I had a four wheel drive I could've gotten two of them. He didn't laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine