U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:27 PM

30 posts, read 30,546 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a mother of 2 boys and eventually, say in the next 5 years, I'd really like to move to Maine. My question is I know the economy is total crap right now, everywhere, and jobs are hard to come by, but for a bartender what's it like in Maine? I've tried just searching the forums, but I've been unable to find anyone asking that question. I realize that some people think that it's not a "real" job, but my mom has done it my whole life, and I plan on always being a bartender; eventually I'd like to open my own bars. Needless to say, I know that you can raise a family, and make a nice living in this field (depending on ones definition of nice). I grew up with biker's, and personally prefer bars that aren't clubs, but I don't really care which type I work in. I want to know if there's a job market in Maine for a bartender. Thank you so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM

75 posts, read 186,549 times
Long winters, and coffee brandy keep many I know happy. That being said, A bar would do well up here, and there are many places that serve so you should not have a problem finding work. Its an honest profession that makes good money, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I do have one note I have to make; booze and riding don't mix. If you serve a biker just alcohol you don't deserve to be a bar tender. It's as bad as allowing a drunk to get behind the wheel.

Best,
The Raven; an accident free motorcyclist for the past 6 years and 100k+ miles.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM

12,083 posts, read 36,805,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
Long winters, and coffee brandy keep many I know happy. That being said, A bar would do well up here, and there are many places that serve so you should not have a problem finding work. Its an honest profession that makes good money, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I do have one note I have to make; booze and riding don't mix. If you serve a biker just alcohol you don't deserve to be a bar tender. It's as bad as allowing a drunk to get behind the wheel.

Best,
The Raven; an accident free motorcyclist for the past 6 years and 100k+ miles.
Agreed!

There are bars in just about every town, so there should be work someplace for you.

An accident free motorcyclist for 31 years (a car hit me when I was a 17 year old Senior, and I had ridden since I was 5 years old before that); not even going to guess how many miles and Motorcycles have passed in the last 31 years.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM

I agree that booze and riding don't mix, however I also agree that pregnant women and booze don't mix but It's not my decision to tell anyone what choices to make. I offer suggestions for non-alcoholic drinks for them, and for biker's I've always monitored them more than others. The bar I work at serves quite a few bikers, and most of them (it's an older 40+ crowd for the most part) drink responsibly on their own when they're on their bikes. My dad being a biker would kill me if I ever got on the back of a bike with a drunk, or in a car for that matter. The older one's I never really had a problem with (except the owner, and I give him a ride home, I call cabs for the others). The younger one's I definitely worry about. The one's my age that just got their first bike and still want to party all night...they scare the crap out of me, and as such get cut off a lot quicker. I still serve them, just with discretion. I don't drink anymore, but I know that even If I did, my personal choices would be different from many that I've waited on. There's nothing like being a pregnant bartender, that doesn't drink, and having a pregnant chick come up to me and want a shot.

Thank you so much for the information guys! I'm really excited. I'm hoping to be able to eventually coerce my mother into moving to Maine after I'm there. It's been a long time dream of hers since she was a little girl. She being a bartender too though and working for the worlds biggest *** has made her think that no one would hire her because of her age, even though she has 30 years experience. Does anyone know what the wages for someone with tips is in Maine? I know in oklahoma at one point it was $3 something, but the bar I work for pays bartender's $10.50 (above min wage) so we don't have to pay taxes on allocated tips.

The daughter of an accident free motorcyclist for 23 years and of an amazing bartender (mom), and a former stripper (step mom) Lol! Yeah, I have a different family, that's for sure.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 PM

75 posts, read 186,549 times
...and some people say riding is dangerous. It's all in the precautions you take. One being avoiding alcohol while riding. Seems every crash we hear about up here is because of a poorly trained rider who is drunk or going too fast. I'm not getting into helmets, but I do wear one myself.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Lol, I know people who don't wear helmet's, I always did. My dad lives in Vegas and you have to wear helmets there. I've looked into Eastport, and places like Bath, also Piscataquis county. Really I don't have a specific town that I know of to be better than the other. I live in a small town now, and I personally prefer bigger places, but not necessarily huge metro's with having kids. I want my kids to grow up in a community that still has trick or treating, and parades; not ones that there's no way they can ever go door to door selling school fundraiser's, or boy scouts popcorn. I also want to live in a town that isn't over run by drugs. I may live in a small town, but there's a lot of drugs here, most of the older people don't want to admit it, but there is. Also there's a huge gap between millionaires and lower class. I don't think we really have a middle class anymore. Our schools are a joke (I know, I went to them) and even though you can go door-to-door trick or treating, there's not a lot of people that give out candy anymore, or put up holiday lights for looking at during the season. I want that for my kids, I hope I can find a town in Maine that has those things. I know some people say that it's hard to get the people in Maine to accept you, but from the sounds of it, I don't think that's the case. I think if you don't b.s. everyone, and don't expect them to change to where you're from, but instead embrace the lifestyles and communities that are there, then there shouldn't be a problem. I hope I'm right about this.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,589,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

There are bars in just about every town, so there should be work someplace for you.
Just throwing this out there... I live 40+ miles from the nearest bar that is not also a full-menu restaurant. Though I'd like to think I am "special", I'm guessing there are plenty of other places in Maine where bars are not abundant.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 PM

12,083 posts, read 36,805,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Just throwing this out there... I live 40+ miles from the nearest bar that is not also a full-menu restaurant. Though I'd like to think I am "special", I'm guessing there are plenty of other places in Maine where bars are not abundant.
Yeah, I usually don't differentiate between the two. Mainly because all the best places (IMHO) you can stuff yourself with great food while having a drink or three .

PS> I like your byline. Makes me sad every time I think of it, but it is a nice tribute.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Where I live you can still smoke in bars as long as there isn't any food being served for profit, like a bar and grill can't have smokers, but the bar I work at can. There's a vending machine, and occasionally we'll have real food where we do a pot-luck, or order from a local bbq place, but it's all free to the patrons, so ashtrays stay on the tables. The only way restaurants with or without bars can have smoking is if it's in a separate room, with separate ventilation. I remember when Oklahoma went to no smoking or at least when Kay county went to no smoking, the people complained more about not being able to smoke in the bowling alley than in the restaurants. They haven't gotten the bars yet, it keeps getting voted out lol. Apparently you don't mess with a rednecks alcohol and cigarettes. Is it the same way in Maine or is it all non-smoking now?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 PM

570 posts, read 1,247,169 times
It seems like a bar is one of those businesses that can be very successful as long as the atmosphere is right for the area. It's human nature to enjoy getting together, socializing and having fun. I wish you luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine