U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,465,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The more Cruise ships that come in, the more my taxes in Bar Harbor stay down. I'm not unhappy about it. More money for the local community means more jobs and better services.

Yeah.... I'm happy. People always say that move-ins from a distance should try NOT to change things that the local community wants. They are usually talking about people from the lower 48 below Maine, but it applies equally to people from other parts of Maine, in this case someone who actually lives 72 miles away, 1 hour and 42 minutes of driving time. If the BH residents want more cruise ships to boost their economy, who are you to deny them?

Before the Cruise ships, the place went dead after labor day. Now we have all kinds of activities like the recent star gazer event, etc.
Well said, sir. Tried to rep. Tried.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 AM

75 posts, read 186,559 times
One way or another, Bar Harbor has sold out the the cruise ships. The roads, infrastructure cannot support them. A couple years ago there was a cruise ship discharge that got pushed under the table. Yeah.... commerce ahead of common sense and environmental responsibility.

I was taken on a cruise once for a piece connected to my travel writing. One thing I noticed is that every town was overcrowded and the local flair had been lost, San Juan, St John, St Thomas, BVI, Barbados. This really struck home when I went to an island that sported no beaches and no ships during a separate trip. It was amazing how beautiful the Caribbean really was and how the culture was preserved.

All I'm saying is Bar Harbor is getting ruined. I used to like it years ago and now cannot even walk on the sidewalk without getting bumped.

It is clear that many who commented seem to be bias to commerce and money so the point is lost on all of you. I for one am more bias to common sense and preservation. Our society is greedy. Bar Harbor is greedy, the town and businesses.

I'm not extreme, I just say things people don't care to hear.

Before I close, I do need to make another point. A poster mentioned that the added tourism brings jobs to Bar Harbor. Yes it does...but not just for mainers. At lunch the hostess was a girl from Sweden, waited on by a girl from NH. At one of the only shops I went into to get out of the rain had two Irish girls working there. Once the season ends, the current shops close up and go south for the winter to open up down there. Yup, lots of dedication to employing Mainers.

I'm not Quimby, I hate her and like her, but her ideals are a bit off for me.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:47 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,403,447 times
And now the picture is clear.... love that zoom lens, how it brings things into focus!!

Great post Z~ well said.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,579,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
One way or another, Bar Harbor has sold out the the cruise ships. The roads, infrastructure cannot support them. A couple years ago there was a cruise ship discharge that got pushed under the table. Yeah.... commerce ahead of common sense and environmental responsibility.

I was taken on a cruise once for a piece connected to my travel writing. One thing I noticed is that every town was overcrowded and the local flair had been lost, San Juan, St John, St Thomas, BVI, Barbados. This really struck home when I went to an island that sported no beaches and no ships during a separate trip. It was amazing how beautiful the Caribbean really was and how the culture was preserved.

All I'm saying is Bar Harbor is getting ruined. I used to like it years ago and now cannot even walk on the sidewalk without getting bumped.

It is clear that many who commented seem to be bias to commerce and money so the point is lost on all of you. I for one am more bias to common sense and preservation. Our society is greedy. Bar Harbor is greedy, the town and businesses.

Before I close, I do need to make another point. A poster mentioned that the added tourism brings jobs to Bar Harbor. Yes it does...but not just for mainers. At lunch the hostess was a girl from Sweden, waited on by a girl from NH. At one of the only shops I went into to get out of the rain had two Irish girls working there. Once the season ends, the current shops close up and go south for the winter to open up down there. Yup, lots of dedication to employing Mainers.

Just a tip...Bar Harbor was lost to the tourism trade, as soon as the national park was created next door.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,465,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post

A pat answer. Supposedly to neutralize any further discussion on the subject.

Lots of town businesses hire kids from out of the state, country, what have you. York is a good example and so is St. Andrews, NB. Generally done to afford foreign exchange students and kids who want to see more than their hometown/state. I think some of it has to dfo with homegrown kids not having to get a summer job. It's not a bad thing for all sides, IMHO.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,783,915 times
Perhaps you're right - you need to stay away from Bar Harbor - It's commercial, cruise ships, non-Mainers working at the restaurants and shops, buiness being open later in the season is terribly upsetting you. Just don't go there and you won't be suffering such stress as you are now.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,965,702 times
I'd give my left acorn for someone to dredge the "Scrog" allowing cruise ships to navigate it. We are hungry for tourists and the $ they bring!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM

151 posts, read 184,955 times
Default Cruise ships

We are updacoast in Canadaland and merchants in Halifax have noticed an actual decline in business when cruise ships arrive, sure a few dockside sellers have an increase in ice cream cones and sea glass necklaces, but no other merchants benefit from their arrival, do people think wealthy cruisers actually buy clothing, toasters, car tires, lumber, shoes, or large meals when they can gorge themselves on the ship, and ships do not replenish their stores at every port, I have not noticed any ship even refuelling at port as they carry enough fuel for the whole trip.
Nice to see people get a look at the docks of every port and a few merchants make a couple of bucks but if you think this will decrease your taxes and bring prosperity back to coastal towns don't rush out and start a new enterprise on the sole survival of cruise ships.
Most merchants in the Halifax area don't even know when a cruise ship arrives as there is no increase in business. I would like to know by a survey exactly how much each tourist spends in port, ( you may be surprised) I would think Navy sailors new in port would be a greater boon to local commerce than cruise ships.
Just a thought.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM

3,442 posts, read 6,115,541 times
I have to agree that downtown Bar Harbor has lost much of it's quaintness and charm that it had as little as 10 years ago. I don't think it's the cruise ships that has done it but more the developers of the huge and ugly hotels. I disagree that it has spoiled the Acadia National Park. We were at the Jordan Pond House on Sept. 1st and enjoyed it as much as ever. Only be VERY careful when meeting one of the free buses that zoom along those windy roads through the park, especially if you happen to be passing a couple of bikers. The buses feel they have the total right of way.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM

6,354 posts, read 12,420,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
We are updacoast in Canadaland and merchants in Halifax have noticed an actual decline in business when cruise ships arrive, sure a few dockside sellers have an increase in ice cream cones and sea glass necklaces, but no other merchants benefit from their arrival, do people think wealthy cruisers actually buy clothing, toasters, car tires, lumber, shoes, or large meals when they can gorge themselves on the ship, and ships do not replenish their stores at every port, I have not noticed any ship even refuelling at port as they carry enough fuel for the whole trip.
Are customers going elsewhere to buy what they need or waiting to shop after ships leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine