U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,087,073 times

Advertisements

Halifax Regional Municipality 2006 census population of 372,679, while the metropolitan area had a 2010 estimated population of 403,188,[3][4] and the urban area of Halifax had a population of 282,924.[5] Halifax is the largest population centre in Atlantic Canada and largest in Canada east of Quebec City.

Bar Harbor has a population of as of the 2010 census of 5,235(5,237 in two weeks).

I'm not surprised that Halifax, NS might not notice the effect of a Cruise Ship. However, these people do eat off the boat, and do affect the local economy in such a small place as Bar Harbor, ME.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM

27,523 posts, read 20,624,610 times
As someone who used to work for a cruise line, (two of them), for over 5 years, I can tell you that people spend almost as much money in ports as they do the actual cruise price.

Those ships do bring in a lot of money to port towns.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
I was in Bar Harbor today and was hoping that with the rain and cold I would have a peaceful time. I remember about 10 years back when I lived closer a person could go there in october and pick up some good sales. There were very few tourists and being local, I could enjoy the visit.

It seems now that since the town has attracted the cruise ships it has gone to pot. Too many people and an extended season beyond columbus day. The quaintness has been given way to expensive hotels and big developments. The fine views have been ruined by giant ugly arks. One cannot even walk on the sidewalk at times without getting bumped by some jerk from the at times three ships in port. Even other parts of the island like the Jordan Tea House is over crowded as it must be an excursion.

I know they bring tourism and money to the state......but at what cost. Bar Harbor did fine without them and by getting them to come was only inspired by greed. I for one will avoid that town fron April until November in the future.

Unfortunately; Rockland is going the same way with Belfast close behind.
Sounds like Bar Harbor is well on its way to being a Disney-fied theme park, and a good place to stay away from.

I console myself with the fact that although all of coastal America will one day become a make-believe cement and plastic replica of the authentic beauty that once was, such a transformation is not likely to happen everywhere on the coast in what's left of my lifetime.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM

3,399 posts, read 6,582,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
We are updacoast in Canadaland and merchants in Halifax have noticed an actual decline in business when cruise ships arrive, sure a few dockside sellers have an increase in ice cream cones and sea glass necklaces, but no other merchants benefit from their arrival, do people think wealthy cruisers actually buy clothing, toasters, car tires, lumber, shoes, or large meals when they can gorge themselves on the ship, and ships do not replenish their stores at every port, I have not noticed any ship even refuelling at port as they carry enough fuel for the whole trip.
Nice to see people get a look at the docks of every port and a few merchants make a couple of bucks but if you think this will decrease your taxes and bring prosperity back to coastal towns don't rush out and start a new enterprise on the sole survival of cruise ships.
Most merchants in the Halifax area don't even know when a cruise ship arrives as there is no increase in business. I would like to know by a survey exactly how much each tourist spends in port, ( you may be surprised) I would think Navy sailors new in port would be a greater boon to local commerce than cruise ships.
Just a thought.

Usually just the bars....

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 PM

44,498 posts, read 20,489,764 times
Its been said that the paper mills didnt stink....they smelled like money;
the same could be said for the cruise ships that bring tourists and business to the coast.

I avoid parts of Rt 1 during the tourist season.....and stay in my own neck of the woods..I dont like the congestion.....but "god bless the tourists".....Canadian or "from away" for pumping some money into the local economies. I am proud that the tourists get to see our Maine.....and I am sure they love it. I like to go into Portland when the cruise ships are in port....it seems to me that the Old Port shops and resturants are busy.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 5,467,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Sounds like Bar Harbor is well on its way to being a Disney-fied theme park, and a good place to stay away from.

I console myself with the fact that although all of coastal America will one day become a make-believe cement and plastic replica of the authentic beauty that once was, such a transformation is not likely to happen everywhere on the coast in what's left of my lifetime.

ROFLMAO. Just a bit of an exaggeration I think. Now, putting another "Space Mountain" on top of Cadillac could be a possibility.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM

161 posts, read 387,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post

Hopefully not to my beautiful Lubec in my lifetime.

Alan

Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,968,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSLubec View Post
Hopefully not to my beautiful Lubec in my lifetime.

Alan
Lubec is safe.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,597,804 times
Why this place is a geographical oddity! Two weeks from anywhere!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,392,420 times
The season has been extended past Columbus Day for years now. I think today would have been a better day for you to visit. I live right in the heart of downtown Bar Harbor over a shop and there are hardly any people around- I see 2 people.
Most restaurants close the third week in Oct on that Saturday or a little later if business holds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine