U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,307,413 times

Advertisements

I don't understand where all of the hatred for Bar Harbor is coming from. It's not as if in an instant cruise ships arrived and "ruined" the town; Bar Harbor has been a tourist town for years. If you want tourism, go to Bar Harbor. If not, there are other locations on MDI island that are almost entirely undeveloped. It's not hard to drive 10 minutes away for peace and quiet. Also, those high end hotels and B&Bs for the tourists drive down taxes for the residents who don't seem to mind that their little downtown is getting a bunch of foot traffic. Why have a beef with something that residents don't mind?
Rate this post positively

Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,497,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I don't understand where all of the hatred for Bar Harbor is coming from. It's not as if in an instant cruise ships arrived and "ruined" the town; Bar Harbor has been a tourist town for years. If you want tourism, go to Bar Harbor. If not, there are other locations on MDI island that are almost entirely undeveloped. It's not hard to drive 10 minutes away for peace and quiet. Also, those high end hotels and B&Bs for the tourists drive down taxes for the residents who don't seem to mind that their little downtown is getting a bunch of foot traffic. Why have a beef with something that residents don't mind?
Very true. All of it. Schoodic Point is just a short drive from BH. BH is a nice town if you can tolerate a lot of people in the summers.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,985,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
You must be new here. Mainers always complain about the tourists, then complain about the high taxes, then complain about the lack of jobs. Unfortunately, they don't see the connection between these things.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM

783 posts, read 1,473,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
[...] Unfortunately; Rockland is going the same way with Belfast close behind.
Well, thank goodness! Thank goodness Rockland knows a good thing when it sees it.

And another good thing, as mentioned by bangorme:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
One good thing: the people on cruise ships don't have cars so they don't clog the roads.
I am generally an extremely sympathetic person. However, for the OP, I have little sympathy. What point is there in bemoaning a change in a town's atmosphere, really? Wouldn't it be more thoughtful to mourn your previous cherished experiences privately? Rather than trying to incite a pity party? C'mon, really...Buck up, Buttercup.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:34 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,104,247 times
My house is only 5 miles from the village center of Bar Harbor. Its across from the Northeast creek which is completely undeveloped. Hardly anyone ever drives down the road. Heavily developed? not a chance. Heck, 3/4 of the island is national park. And only 1.5 miles from the ocean. People who think MDI is over developed never left the village of Bar harbor.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,448,497 times
So when the OP visited Bar Harbor he/she wanted to be the only tourist there?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM

566 posts, read 1,348,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The more Cruise ships that come in, the more my taxes in Bar Harbor stay down. I'm not unhappy about it. More money for the local community means more jobs and better services.

Yeah.... I'm happy. People always say that move-ins from a distance should try NOT to change things that the local community wants. They are usually talking about people from the lower 48 below Maine, but it applies equally to people from other parts of Maine, in this case someone who actually lives 72 miles away, 1 hour and 42 minutes of driving time. If the BH residents want more cruise ships to boost their economy, who are you to deny them?

Before the Cruise ships, the place went dead after labor day. Now we have all kinds of activities like the recent star gazer event, etc.
Great post

Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 AM

67 posts, read 408,121 times
I was on the Queen Mary when she was in Bar Harbor (last October). We were anchored a bit off shore and tendered in. It was a very cold windy day, and my husband and I walked up the quaint street and found a nice shop and spent about $350 for jackets and gloves then went and had lunch at that lovely place right on the water. I live in Maine, but was in Bar Harbor that day as a tourist. There were two ships there that day. The shops seemed quite busy, but once we bought our coats/gloves and walked down the walking path along the shore, we didn't see many other people - as I assume that most took the trolly or a tour. I was a tourist in my own state... and loved it.

But I can understand the OP's concern. When I looked for my retire home in Maine, I wanted a quieter location and (sort of) knew where to avoid the summer tourist traffic. So I chose my location accordingly. But I can't imagine what it would feel like to grow up in an quaint area and feel that it has changed for the worse.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
You must be new here. Mainers always complain about the tourists, then complain about the high taxes, then complain about the lack of jobs. Unfortunately, they don't see the connection between these things.
I tried to rep you on this. I would say that its not just Mainers who want the best of all worlds. Maybe the Aliens will arrive, pay us gold for our forests, but only beam up the trees.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewoods View Post
But I can't imagine what it would feel like to grow up in an quaint area and feel that it has changed for the worse.
I gues you've not lived in any place but the very very very rural.

Every place changes with time. I grew up in a little college town called Carlisle, PA. I went beck 30 years later and first I couldn't find my house. I had to count, and it turned out the people who bought it turned a rancher into a split level. Then I couldn't find my Junior High. It was a huge 3 story brick building. Apparently they had torn it down about 6 years after I graduated college, and put in houses which all planted trees and the trees were pretty big by the time I visted. The same for my elementary school---just gone. New building materials change store fronts. New building codes change building looks. Life goes on and life changes. People die and sell their businesses to new people who change it all around and remodel it. You know, we don't live in the middle ages any more. Do you remember the changes wrought by the 1947 fire. In mid-October 1947, Maine experienced a severe drought. Sparks at a cranberry bog near Town Hill ignited a wildfire that would intensify over 10 days, and not be declared out until mid-November. Nearly half the eastern side of Mount Desert Island burned, including 67 palatial summer houses on Millionaires' Row. Five historic grand hotels and 170 permanent homes were destroyed. Over 10,000 acres (40 km²) of Acadia National Park were destroyed. Fortunately, the town's business district was spared, including Mount Desert Street, where several former summer homes within a historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places operate as inns. And when the park came back, the trees completely changed to completely different breeds. Things change not just by people but by nature.

Anyone who expects that the population in the country will rise and that their memories of quaint little towns will be the same is living in a dream world.

BUT..... While The Village of Bar Harbor changes, much of the island of Mount Desert does stay much the same. Many people go to MDI and only drive up to Cadillac and wander around in the Village of BH. They don't know that even five miles out side of the village like on Crooked Road or Norway drive, things are as quiet and quaint as they always were. And if you drive south to Northeast Harbor or Southwest Harbor or Bernard you will not see much changes. And these places are just a quiet as they were in the 70's when I first visited them. I was in a line for a boat to go out to Baker Island with a couple complaining about the commercialization of MDI. Apparently they had no map. They didn't even know that there were other villiages and towns on the island. They thought that the only population palce was BH, and that the whole rest of the island was forest. They were from Florida.

Bar Harbor has been largely a tourist town since the place was called Eden. But you are talking about Bar harbor, THE VILLAGE. Bar Harbor THE TOWN, comprises all of the northern quarter of the island. Even at the height of the tourist season you can drive all over creation in Tremont and Bass harbor and not pass a car for awhile.

Last edited by Zarathu; 10-15-2011 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>