U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 AM

783 posts, read 1,463,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewoods View Post
[...]I can't imagine what it would feel like to grow up in an quaint area and feel that it has changed for the worse.
A philosophical point. Change is many things; it is what it is, whatever that might be. How you interpret, and subsequently deal with, any given change is your choice.

I'm just guessing, but Bar Harbor did not not entertain the idea of welcoming cruise ships without taxpayer input. Here's (http://www.maine.gov/dep/blwq/topic/vessels/repCruiseReport.pdf - broken link) an economic study of cruise ship passengers (albeit from 2003) done by UMaine's Dept. of Economics and Policy.

I'm such a casper milktoast that my taking a hard line on the OP's notion of Bar Harbor "selling itself out" surprises me. It just seems so illogical to expect that a valuable economic resource be denied for the sake of quaintness. What is the definition of "quaint," anyhow? Seems subjective, at best, anywho. Would this period have been during the 1800's? 1900's - '40's; '50's; '60's? And, wasn't there mention of travel guide writing in one of the OP's posts? Surely travel guides demand objectivity, and maybe hence the subjective post on BH? Dunno.

During any of what might qualify as Rockland's "quaint" eras, the photographs of the downtown area show it was milling with folks. Honestly, I would like it if Main St. was still unpaved & filled with horse drawn carts going both directions instead of the one way drag strip we have now. In 2010, Rockland had a short lived kerfluffle over cruise ship activity: Questions were raised, but this was the outcome.

So, maybe I'm just missing the point of the OP's accusation that Bar Harbor isn't what it could/would/should be because it allows cruise ship traffic. And I do have an ounce of compassion for her/his longing for quieter times. But I still say, buck up, buttercup!

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by maureenb; 10-15-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: add links
Rate this post positively

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,086,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Honestly, I would like it if Main St. was still unpaved & filled with horse drawn carts going both directions instead of the one way drag strip we have now.
Not as nice as you think. For another 3 weeks I live in Amish Country. You have no idea about what its like to have to cross a street while constantly dodging horse manure everywhere. We have just a little of it with the Amish carriages, and it washes away on the hard roads, and pushed by cars. But if there were only carriages, and no hard roads, the streets would be covered with chit. The old pictures never show the reality.

Like the reality of living prior to 1947, when any bacterial infection could kill you. I almost died of pneumonia when I was 6 months old, and was only saved at the last minute by the new wonder drug, penicillin.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 AM

783 posts, read 1,463,573 times
Zarathu, an utterly predictable response to my comment! I was begging the question. C'mon, astonish me and look beyond the rhetoric!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 AM

27,079 posts, read 9,237,881 times
I visited BH for a week several yrs ago...was so excited, never having been to the state before and had a nice hotel and view of the water.

But, then one day I woke up and walked out to see the mist on the water and was hit with the "giant ugly ark". I must say I agree they are an eyesore and IMO = greed.

Now my historic town, Charleston SC, is in a pickle over the same thing...the National Historic Register is saying the cruise ships are threatening the historic value of the city. And no one seems to care but a few of us.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:05 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,465,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Not as nice as you think. For another 3 weeks I live in Amish Country. You have no idea about what its like to have to cross a street while constantly dodging horse manure everywhere. We have just a little of it with the Amish carriages, and it washes away on the hard roads, and pushed by cars. But if there were only carriages, and no hard roads, the streets would be covered with chit. The old pictures never show the reality.

Like the reality of living prior to 1947, when any bacterial infection could kill you. I almost died of pneumonia when I was 6 months old, and was only saved at the last minute by the new wonder drug, penicillin.
Quote:
Zarathu, an utterly predictable response to my comment! I was begging the question. C'mon, astonish me and look beyond the rhetoric!

There he is!!

Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Sigh.... back to the condescending statements.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I visited BH for a week several yrs ago...was so excited, never having been to the state before and had a nice hotel and view of the water.

But, then one day I woke up and walked out to see the mist on the water and was hit with the "giant ugly ark". I must say I agree they are an eyesore and IMO = greed.

Now my historic town, Charleston SC, is in a pickle over the same thing...the National Historic Register is saying the cruise ships are threatening the historic value of the city. And no one seems to care but a few of us.
I love the "giant ugly ARks". They make beautiful pictures in my mind. But then I love all kinds of boats. Each will see something very different.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
There he is!!
Sigh.... #2.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,401,206 times
I've been reading the posts on this thread and have a few comments.

The-Raven: I admit I was sad to see that the Quarterdeck was gone and new construction in its place. I like to visit when there is a cruise ship in and it seems they are "in" more often than in past years. Contact the members of the Cruise Ship Committee (email or phone) and voice your opinion. -- I wonder which ones on the committee are Maine natives--just curious.
Barharbormaine.gov: Cruise Ship Committee

Maybe you would enjoy your visits to Bar Harbor more when no cruise ship is in. If you want to avoid most of the tourists, try visiting November-June. You might want to check the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce website before you visit to see if there is a cruise ship in port ....or use the Geddy's Live Webcam.

Bar Harbor Chamber Of Commerce Bar Harbor Maine

Geddy's - Bar Harbor, Maine

I have loved Bar Harbor, MDI, and Acadia National Park for more than 50 years. Bar Harbor has always had tourists/visitors into October. (btw, It's the Jordan Pond House not the Jordan Tea House even though the tea and popovers are popular.) I love to visit Bar Harbor, MDI, and Acadia National Park any time of year.

bangorme is right--"You must be new here. Mainers always complain about the tourists, then complain about the high taxes, then complain about the lack of jobs. Unfortunately, they don't see the connection between these things."

I think most Mainers prefer to have Maine experience very little change. I don't think everyone believes that all change is inevitable or welcome or an improvement. One of the greatest fears is that Maine will become like other undesirable places that people leave and move to Maine to escape. Becoming a resident doesn't make a person a Mainer except on paper. The truth remains to be seen in the actions and attitudes of the individuals. Residency without assimilation? Maine likes to be different in spite of the tough economy, tax complaints, and tourist season. Honestly, I have never heard one native Maine person say they like tourists (more crowded, more traffic, etc.); the tourist season seems to be something that is tolerated for the sake of the economy. I would like to see businesses hire more locals rather than imports--we are encouraged to buy local so why not hire local.

Do we accept or want to change "Maine, the Way Life Should Be"?

Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 PM

570 posts, read 1,247,169 times
I do agree that the past often looks better than it actually was, if you look at the difficulties faced back in the day. When people say they want 'quaint' they are often thinking only about the things that look good on a postcard, not the realities of life back then.

I also live near Amish & Mennonite communities in NY and it isn't all 'charming' horses and buggies. I have nothing against those people, but I can see the lives they lead with a lack of electricity, medical care, etc, and I wouldn't give up those things just to have 'quaint' back again. Give me my car, electricity and preventative healthcare any day, lol!

If the people of BH have an avenue to help them keep their own costs as low as possible, and they don't mind the cruise ships, then more power to them. It is their town, after all. Hopefully the town leaders will do a nice job of making sure any new growth is reflective of the direction the residents want to go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine