U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,187,876 times

Advertisements

A real Mainer to me is one who pays taxes, votes and lives and lets live. A native Mainer to me is all of that plus has a wicked accent.

Most of my relatives only visit Bar Harbor maybe once every few years. They are too busy working 2-3 jobs to be able to take the two hour trip down there. I'm guessing that they wouldn't think about Bar Harbor selling out any more than Freeport, Kittery or even Portland for example. I'm sure that they would love to be in the financial position to be able to frequent there and many other cool places in Maine. But don't count on it. We'd better be looking for tourist dollars from people that don't live and work and struggle every day in Maine. People from other states and other countries. Until they can figure a way to get big cruise ships to go down the Piscataquis or Kennebunk rivers, only then might they say that we have 'sold out'.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 PM

14,764 posts, read 13,278,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
[/b]

I agree. If you don't like what BH has become in your eyes, then stay away. Plenty of other places to go. Like you, I still enjoy it from time to time. Or I go to Castine or Lubec, etc. And I'm sure I'm being ignored but Z is correct; lots of other places on MDI if you make the right turn instead of left at the light. BH is a different anmal from the rest of downeast though. High tourist area with high value (money). Not a thing wrong there other than people who don't enjoy it going there and then complaining that they got what they asked for. IMHO.
It is what it is.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM

14,764 posts, read 13,278,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Isn't there anyone besides me who will publicly admit that we are really really really tired of this crap about Real Mainers .....

And then, to separate a part of Maine from another part("First, you're talking about Bar Harbor, that's not like the rest of Maine"---what an incredibly xenophobic and disgusting thing to say! especially for all the birthright Mainers who actually live there---and YOU talk about bad taste), and effectively call it Not the Real Maine smacks of Facism.

..... there are lots of jobs on MDI. Of course for many of them you have to be well-educated such as Jackson Labs, the Maine Biological Labs, the College of the Atlantic, and the 105 non-profit corportations which reside on MDI.

..... Get off it, and move on!
I don't see what's to be tired of. I'm not a native Mainer and everybody I know in Maine is aware of this. It's not a problem. There's nothing to get over.

We went over and over the difference between Bar Harbor and most of the remainder of Maine in a real estate thread last year. It's different. So what?

You said it yourself. Lots of jobs. need to be well-educated. 105 non-profits. That's not at all like most of Maine.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM

3,442 posts, read 6,112,027 times
If you are looking for a frau frau restaurant maybe LaDomaine would qualify. I've never been there but heard it is quite exclusive and very good.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,388,748 times
Obama stayed at The Regency not at The Harborside.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM

3,035 posts, read 5,462,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
If you are looking for a frau frau restaurant maybe LaDomaine would qualify. I've never been there but heard it is quite exclusive and very good.

I don't know; maybe freu freu. Definately elegant. Always been curious about that place. I did notice they are booked until December. Wonder if that's when they close?

Le Domaine

Nope. Just checked. They run from June to October. Funny; the reservations show it booked through November.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM

2,613 posts, read 5,961,433 times
So, if a tourist departs a cruise ship in Bar Harbor, enters a frau frau restaurant, gives a secret handshake....

This thread has outlived it's usefulness, so we will move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine