U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 PM

75 posts, read 185,493 times

Advertisements

I was in Bar Harbor today and was hoping that with the rain and cold I would have a peaceful time. I remember about 10 years back when I lived closer a person could go there in october and pick up some good sales. There were very few tourists and being local, I could enjoy the visit.

It seems now that since the town has attracted the cruise ships it has gone to pot. Too many people and an extended season beyond columbus day. The quaintness has been given way to expensive hotels and big developments. The fine views have been ruined by giant ugly arks. One cannot even walk on the sidewalk at times without getting bumped by some jerk from the at times three ships in port. Even other parts of the island like the Jordan Tea House is over crowded as it must be an excursion.

I know they bring tourism and money to the state......but at what cost. Bar Harbor did fine without them and by getting them to come was only inspired by greed. I for one will avoid that town fron April until November in the future.

Unfortunately; Rockland is going the same way with Belfast close behind.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,168,535 times
I love to see the commerce, ships and people from all over the world that get to visit our cherished Bar Harbor. Good for them. If I want solitude, I'll just stay in Dover.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,563,465 times
I'm sure that all of the people who depend on those tourist dollars floating around Bar Harbor are very happy that the sidewalks are crowded and the cash registers are still ringing well past Labor Day, which signals the end of season in many other coastal towns.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,061,111 times
The more Cruise ships that come in, the more my taxes in Bar Harbor stay down. I'm not unhappy about it. More money for the local community means more jobs and better services.

Yeah.... I'm happy. People always say that move-ins from a distance should try NOT to change things that the local community wants. They are usually talking about people from the lower 48 below Maine, but it applies equally to people from other parts of Maine, in this case someone who actually lives 72 miles away, 1 hour and 42 minutes of driving time. If the BH residents want more cruise ships to boost their economy, who are you to deny them?

Before the Cruise ships, the place went dead after labor day. Now we have all kinds of activities like the recent star gazer event, etc.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,943,873 times
One good thing: the people on cruise ships don't have cars so they don't clog the roads.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 AM

19,491 posts, read 26,932,350 times
How dare that ship block your view??

I'd find that captain, and give him a piece of your mind, and carry a sign, "this place sucks, no more ships, no more tourists"

Not much sympathy here, this state has been so anti-business/development that it's good to hear the ships are coming here,
On the news the other night, they mentioned how the cruise ships are in portland, and how it is helping out the business owners, local economy

Old 10-14-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The more Cruise ships that come in, the more my taxes in Bar Harbor stay down. I'm not unhappy about it. More money for the local community means more jobs and better services.

Yeah.... I'm happy. People always say that move-ins from a distance should try NOT to change things that the local community wants. They are usually talking about people from the lower 48 below Maine, but it applies equally to people from other parts of Maine, in this case someone who actually lives 72 miles away, 1 hour and 42 minutes of driving time. If the BH residents want more cruise ships to boost their economy, who are you to deny them?

Before the Cruise ships, the place went dead after labor day. Now we have all kinds of activities like the recent star gazer event, etc.

Now this is an excellent post!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,509,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
How dare that ship block your view??

I'd find that captain, and give him a piece of your mind, and carry a sign, "this place sucks, no more ships, no more tourists"

Not much sympathy here, this state has been so anti-business/development that it's good to hear the ships are coming here,
On the news the other night, they mentioned how the cruise ships are in portland, and how it is helping out the business owners, local economy

Eastport is expecting cruise ships too.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I hope they don't obstruct anyone's view

Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,423,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Have these cruise ships been built yet? The last one wasn't even out of dry dock.

Sounds like the raven should be on Wall Street holding a sign.

Z; well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine