Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM

43 posts, read 74,712 times

Advertisements

This is all very helpful, as I'm considering making an offer on about 40 acres that's in the program. The first thing I'll do is contact the town's tax assessor to see when the current plan expires. I'm also interested in hearing from small land owners on whether they think it's a hassle to comply with the program, how much does it cost to hire a forester to draw up a plan, what happens if there isn't compliance with the plan, or anything else that may be useful to a potential land owner. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
None of my land is in tree growth. You are only safe until the next legislative session. If your land is easy to access and you have a copy of the old tree growth plan you should be able to have a plan prepared for $300 or less. If you get the same forester it could be even less. If you want to build a camp you should take an acre out early on. It will never cost less than it does now. You can change your plan as markets change. If the price of biomass is up you can have some low quality trees removed which will release better trees to grow faster.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Something to think about. If I put my land in tree growth who is going to pay the balance in taxes for me?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPO1131959 View Post
This is all very helpful, as I'm considering making an offer on about 40 acres that's in the program. The first thing I'll do is contact the town's tax assessor to see when the current plan expires. I'm also interested in hearing from small land owners on whether they think it's a hassle to comply with the program, how much does it cost to hire a forester to draw up a plan, what happens if there isn't compliance with the plan, or anything else that may be useful to a potential land owner. Thanks.

Smart move. NMLM is cottect; check witht he ones who know, in this case the assessor. However, the current forestry plan will run out one year from when you go through closing on the property

Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
That could be true, but there is a chance it could run out one WEEK after closing. How can you be sure? Ask. Get a look at the actual plan. It is effective when it is filed with the town or state, not the day it was signed by the forester.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george99 View Post
... I'm assuming all sorts of bureaucratic crap, but for the sake of argument if a person wanted a good deal on land and was willing to put up with the red tape would it be an option?
Honestly there is no 'red tape' to the process.

If you land is not 'treegrowth' then you can apply.

If you land is 'treegrowth' and you want out, then you tell them. They will give you a penalty, and it is over.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
It's a tax exemption as long as the state can afford to reimburse the towns. This year it was 70% reimbursement. Last year we didn't get all of that. To a degree, other town residents help pay for your property taxes through state taxes. The state reimbursment has to come from somewhere. I think it's a personal preference. If you can put up with the gov't it's up to you. Read the tax bulletin and see if you like it.

http://www.state.me.us/revenue/forms...ubs/bull19.pdf
Most townships in Maine are UTs.

'Treegrowth' land in the UTs does not involve anyone being reimbursed for anything.

For the minority of Maine that is Dis-Organized Townships, you may be correct in your perception of how it works.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiinuk12 View Post
Do not buy, if your reason is cheap land, low tax and think you can flip for quick bucks.
Do buy it if your plan to be in for long time and low tax since some one else help to pay for it.
I own 'treegrowth' land.

Nobody is 'helping' me to pay for it.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I was curious about this topic, too.

In real estate advertisements, tree growth almost seems to be treated like a negative attribute. Why would that be, unless you wanted to farm? I mean, if tree growth reduced your taxes or got you payments from the state, how is that a bad thing for most buyers?
There are no payments from the state. That is a mis-perception.

I do not see it as a bad thing at all, for me.

The 'big thing' about Treegrowth, is that the land owner is restricted on what he/she can do on the land. It must be used to grow trees, following a written plan.

Quote:
... Does owning tree growth property mean the government pays you not to chop down your own trees, not even for firewood?
No.

The government does not pay anyone to do anything.

Quote:
... Can you otherwise use the land just as you would were it non-tree growth property--for example, hunt and fish on it, build a cabin on it, etc?
Yes.

You can still hunt and fish on the land.

You may be able to setup a camp on the land.

Building a cabin, however becomes a sticky point. You may be required to take 1 acre out of Treegrowth before you can build a permanent dwelling.

Quote:
... And what if one day you decide to chop down trees, can you say to the government, "OK, I don't want to be tree growth any more, so you no longer need to pay me not to chop down my trees"?
A land owner can cut down trees, in accordance with his written plan, at any time he/she desires to cut down trees.

There is no government approval process required.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I own 'treegrowth' land.

Nobody is 'helping' me to pay for it.

The reimbursements for the "organized" towns come from taxes paid to the state. Anyone paying state taxes to Maine helps pay for the reimbursement IMO.

UT owners pay property taxes directly to the state don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine