Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:51 PM

7,046 posts, read 8,865,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THFox83 View Post
"real life"
Quote:
"Maine has no culture"
Quote:
"...[i] didn't have a plan."

"Time to grow up and take responsibility for your own actions, and stop acting/sounding like a petulant child."
Quote:
"misery"
That does not work on these forums, Most likely to keep the kids from posting infected code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 AM

13 posts, read 15,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Never saw a person with so little to say write so much. Must be bored stiff to dredge up a topic and argue this heavily over minutia. ANyone seen the nordic walking sticks?
"Bored stiff to dredge up a topic...", says the person talking about Nordic walking sticks. LMAO!!! XD

Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
THFox83 sounds like he has a little maturing to do. Just as well he lives somewhere other than Maine. lol He is one ANGRY dude!
Disagreeing with a point of view and refusing to jump on the "Maine is so great" bandwagon has nothing to do with maturity. Not everyone has the same opinion as you. As you are attempting to attack me (and assuming you are an "adult"), sounds like you need to grow up a bit.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
... the job market here is bad,
I agree, the job market is bad right now in the USA.

Quote:
... Maine is not known for being business-friendly,
This is also correct.

Quote:
... there is not much city culture to partake of,
Right again.

Quote:
... it is the most homogenous state in the nation,
I am not sure about this one, but it could be correct.

Quote:
... there is no major metropolitan area in the state,
Very true.

Quote:
... and it is, for the most part, a sheltered life here, as most of Maine is rural. Am I wrong?
If rural = sheltered, then sure.

I am not certain that rural does equal sheltered.

Maine does have less crime [less drug-abuse, less violent crime, less road-rage, less burglary, less vehicle thefts, less prostitutes, etc], so in that context by being rural you are exposed to less crime. Which could be stated that you would be somewhat 'sheltered' from crime by living in Maine.

Quote:
... And based on my experience, many classmates I went to school with wanted to move out of Maine because they did not like the provincial lifestyle that Maine predominately offers, and most of them have since moved out of state.
I grew up in California. In my experience, among my highschool classmates many of them did move away. It is called 'life'.

Quote:
... Yes, as you say, the characteristics of Maine that I mentioned are similar to many other rural areas of the country, but since the majority of Maine is rural, these characteristics are, on the whole, fitting for most of the state. If I lived in South Dakota or Montana, I would probably have the same opinion. The point is that the original poster asked about Maine, I have lived here for many years, and I offered the poster my opinion. If I were from another state that was predominately rural with the same list of aforementioned issues, and someone asked me for my opinion, it would probably be similar to the one I have offered on this thread.
Yes, I imagine that all rural areas are mostly very similar.

Quote:
... I was never an outdoors person, and outdoor activities like camping, hiking, etc. are a major means of leisure for people in Maine.
This certainly explains a lot.

Quote:
... I'm sorry if you don't agree with my view of Maine, or if my experiences living here don't correspond with yours,
I doubt if any of the posters here agree with each other on everything.

Quote:
... but the beauty of these threads is that people can share differing views, opinions, and experiences. If you have had a different experience living in Maine, then great! If you enjoy the outdoors, great! I am not attacking you for it or making assumptions about you. But if you are signed on to an online forum, expect to hear differing opinions.
Did someone attack you?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maine does have less crime [less drug-abuse, less violent crime, less road-rage, less burglary, less vehicle thefts, less prostitutes, etc], so in that context by being rural you are exposed to less crime. Which could be stated that you would be somewhat 'sheltered' from crime by living in Maine.
I absolutely agree with you, Forest Beekeeper. I think the low crime rate is one of the great things about Maine! And yes, by living in Maine, especially in the rural areas, one is sheltered from the crime, which is definitely a plus. Even Portland's crime rate isn't all that bad (although I think Bangor has had some major drug problems in the past---particularly with oxycontin---but not sure how it is now). Nevertheless, Maine does have a very low crime rate (the lowest in the nation the last time I checked), and as I think I may have mentioned in my first post, this is definitely one of the positive points about living in/moving to Maine.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree with you, Forest Beekeeper. I think the low crime rate is one of the great things about Maine! And yes, by living in Maine, especially in the rural areas, one is sheltered from the crime, which is definitely a plus. Even Portland's crime rate isn't all that bad (although I think Bangor has had some major drug problems in the past---particularly with oxycontin---but not sure how it is now). Nevertheless, Maine does have a very low crime rate (the lowest in the nation the last time I checked), and as I think I may have mentioned in my first post, this is definitely one of the positive points about living in/moving to Maine.
Yes, combined with the low cost-of-living, and the availability to live a quite agrarian lifestyle, these are primary reasons why I decided to move to Maine for my retirement.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:19 AM

395 posts, read 456,718 times
If it weren't for the fact that jobs are easier to come by in NH than Maine, I'd be living in Maine instead of NH. Maine is a beautiful and great place to live and perhaps it's best if those that don't understand that stay away from Maine.

My plan is to raise my children in NH, taking many many vacations in Maine over the years and then, like forest retire to some nice little town in Maine.

The only criticism I would have of Maine is that I wish they were more like NH in that they need to do more of an effort to foster industry yet integrate it into the state in such a manner that there are no need for large, ugly, metropolises. Other than that Maine is the perfect place to live as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
If it weren't for the fact that jobs are easier to come by in NH than Maine, I'd be living in Maine instead of NH. Maine is a beautiful and great place to live and perhaps it's best if those that don't understand that stay away from Maine.

My plan is to raise my children in NH, taking many many vacations in Maine over the years and then, like forest retire to some nice little town in Maine.

The only criticism I would have of Maine is that I wish they were more like NH in that they need to do more of an effort to foster industry yet integrate it into the state in such a manner that there are no need for large, ugly, metropolises. Other than that Maine is the perfect place to live as far as I'm concerned.
Job opportunities are all in timing, depending on what you are qualified/looking for- no matter where you move to

you are correct-in the past, Maine hasn't been business friendly- hopefully this is changing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine