Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM

341 posts, read 641,498 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We like to move in the Milbridge rural area but we need a high speed Internet. I found that is possible to use BroadbandBLUE wireless which supposed to works. Are there any BroadbandBlue user, please?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by ElGreco; 10-28-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:53 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I have never heard of them.

From their website: BroadbandBLUE | Wireless Internet Maine | ME Rural Internet

At the top they say "Access anywhere anytime" [which I seriously doubt]

Then below that it says:
OUR TOP MARKETS IN MAINE:
Ellsworth, ME Farmington, ME Oxford, ME Lincoln, ME Belfast, ME
Waldoboro, ME Bangor, ME Dixfield, ME Orland, ME Caribou, ME
Lincolnville, ME Harrison, ME Jefferson, ME Deer Isle, ME Houlton, ME
Penobscot, ME Greenbush, ME Hiram, ME Saint David, ME

I do not see Milbridge listed.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Upload speed of 3Mbps is awfully slow.

I had a neighbor who tried to use a card for her laptop that ran off of a tower, (cell tower), in FL in the Glades.

Didn't work for ....

Didn't work.

I'd choose satellite over this one. And the monthly price is awfully high for something that runs that slow.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I had a neighbor who tried to use a card for her laptop that ran off of a tower, (cell tower), in FL in the Glades.

Didn't work for ....

Didn't work.

I'd choose satellite over this one. And the monthly price is awfully high for something that runs that slow.
IMO the satellite is not for working from home: to slow. My 4G phone is much faster and as I understand their system works as the phone but problem is if there are not coverage with 4G or coming 5G.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have never heard of them.

From their website: BroadbandBLUE | Wireless Internet Maine | ME Rural Internet

At the top they say "Access anywhere anytime" [which I seriously doubt]

Then below that it says:
OUR TOP MARKETS IN MAINE:
Ellsworth, ME Farmington, ME Oxford, ME Lincoln, ME Belfast, ME
Waldoboro, ME Bangor, ME Dixfield, ME Orland, ME Caribou, ME
Lincolnville, ME Harrison, ME Jefferson, ME Deer Isle, ME Houlton, ME
Penobscot, ME Greenbush, ME Hiram, ME Saint David, ME

I do not see Milbridge listed.
Thank you very much. I will call them and we will see. It is so sad when you like rural area but you need Internet ):.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
Thank you very much. I will call them and we will see. It is so sad when you like rural area but you need Internet ):.
We have been here since 2005, during this short period of time, we have seen a number of people move to Maine wanting rural AND internet.

It can be hard to find an area with both.

We were lucky, found a tiny Ma/Pa phone company that had gotten a grant to upgrade their lines to DSL. Soon after they upgraded they were bought up by an out-of-state corporation.

Another thing to consider is to google "Three-ring-binder". One corporation got contracts to bury bundles of fiber to various places in Maine. Then they also got a huge Federal grant to offer the un-used fibers to small Ma/Pa ISPs for cheap. This is all under the vision of bringing DSL to rural Mainers. They want to lease each fiber for $9/mile to any small ISPs to link them to Fairpoint.

If you researched it a bit, you could form a list of who the Ma/Pa ISPs are. Then you would know exactly which communities are 'getting' DSL.

From that list, make phone calls, to see what their policies will be to hook-up.

An idea to consider.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
That was out situation as well. I go graphic design and service my clients digitally... lots of big files to transfer at various times of the year. My SO is a gamer when he is hurting too much to be up and about... we decided that our best option was to continue with the Time Warner Roadrunner service we were familiar with but had to query them one property at a time.

We ended up about 30 min north of Bangor on 4 acres... not rural enough but the best compromise we could find that fit all our other needs as well.
Good luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
IMO the satellite is not for working from home: to slow. My 4G phone is much faster and as I understand their system works as the phone but problem is if there are not coverage with 4G or coming 5G.
I disagree.

I had HughesNet when I lived in the Glades in FL. It was fast. As fast as broadband? No, but it was pretty darn fast.

If your 4G phone works faster, that's great but how fast can a computer work for you if 4G coverage is not available?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:33 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,294 times
I use Verizon Wireless and it is pretty close to the speed I had when I had Comcast. I don't use it for much video or gaming so I am completely happy with the speed and the service. Never had a problem with access or it being too slow...then again that is me. Others might disagree with how fast it is but I have no problems. Also 4G isn't available in Maine yet for VZ. They say around 2012.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Didn't work for ....

Didn't work.

3Mbps upload is very good but download is so so.

Cable Model - Other
Download: 10 mbps - 25 mbps
Upload: 768 kbps - 1.5 mbps

Asymmetric xDSL
Download: 6 mbps - 10 mbps
Upload: 768 kbps - 1.5 mbps

Satellite Internet (HugnesNet)
Download: 1 Mbps - 2 Mbps
Upload: 200 Kbps - 300 Kbps

And the BroadandBlue should have 3 or more Mbps download which is still better than satelite. If HughnesNet offer you about 3 Mbps download than is price almost like T1. And winter time, snowing is not helpful for the satelite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine