Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times

Advertisements

Not much more than rain here. It snowed a bit but never had a chance to stick. Lots of rain and high winds. Lost power for about 20-30 minutes until Bangor Hydro kicked in the generators. No big whoop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I drove home from work smack in the middle of it.

Other than the fact that high beams are useless in snow blowing straight at you, and learning how to slide UP a hill is a fine art one eventually learns driving on the stuff after many years, I'd sum my travel up in one word:

"Yawn."

Okay, maybe 3 more:

"No big whoop."
Learning to slide UP a hill... LOL... how quickly we forget I guess... driving the subaru for the last few years, I had forgotten about that little maneuver that I used to do regularly in my 2wd car or pickup. But now that you reminded me, I do recall one trip last winter where we did just that in the Sub. on a road over by Old Town . It beat turning around with all the other vehicles that didn't make it littering the shoulders...

Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
they are bad at predicting snow here.. they almost always overpredict by about double, probably just covering their butts.. though occasionally they call for an inch and we'll get four...
Out here it's hard to predict accurately for part of the state partially because of the ocean influence. "IF it goes out to sea..." I think they do a good job of giving us the possibilities when there are so many things that can change what happens at the last minute. People seem to want a definite without stopping to think of everything that can happen. We tend to forget the weatherman doesn't control the storm and play tricks on us. This storm could have tracked out to sea, north and south. There isn't any snow on the ground five miles from me as the crow (or snow) flies but I have 3". The difference? A lake. Just before and after the lake it's snowing.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We tend to forget the weatherman doesn't control the storm and play tricks on us. This storm could have tracked out to sea, north and south. There isn't any snow on the ground five miles from me as the crow (or snow) flies but I have 3". The difference? A lake. Just before and after the lake it's snowing.

It just blows me away that the weather guys can't predict weather more than 18 hours in aDVANCE in certain places becvause the variables are too great. But they can predict with confidence that global warming is happening and that humans caused it, when the number of variables that are not even known about are several orders of magnitude greater.

At least with the weather forecast we know most of the variables.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Wasn't very big, but did manage to take down two of my beautiful birch trees. I'm happy though, they didn't fall on my house.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Wasn't very big, but did manage to take down two of my beautiful birch trees. I'm happy though, they didn't fall on my house.
You have my simpathy. I love birch trees.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Gorgeous weather is forecast for all this weeks and through the weekend. tatans could not have picked a better time.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 AM

161 posts, read 418,866 times
Got hit badly here in Connecticut and likely no power for a week or more. Anyone know how thngs are in Lubec? If it is okay the family will head to the Lubec house until we're ship-shape down here.

Thanks,

Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine