Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,290 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

I am looking to relocate from the DC area to Portland. My goal is Spring 2012 (refusing to spend yet another summer in these host, humid temperatures!). I've been up a few times and think it will be a really good fit. Originally, I was looking at Boston and then realized I would just be trading one city for another. Portland seems to fit better.

I've done my research and am confident I can find a place to live. But...am having trouble figuring out how to find a job. I have worked in defense contracting and am currently with a bio-medical non-profit with two liberal arts degrees. I am completely willing to turn my back on desk work and am aware that salaries will likely be lower than what is typical of the DC-area. All of that is fine because I'm moving for a lifestyle change, not a career boost. I've looked online and found a few possibilities. But I wonder if there is somewhere better to search. Craigslist? Careerbuilder? Is there a forum I'm missing out on or an employment firm that is widely used in Portland?

I just need to pay my bills and want to live to work, not work to live. Dogs are a passion (and room for a dog walking start-up?) but I'm equally open to working in a grocery/retail store or retirement community.

Any and all ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated!

See you in the spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Maine is not as cheap to live as it might appear.. Especially Portland.. I would really make sure I have a job before moving here.. PS I used to live on Klingle road in DC

Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,290 times
Thank you flycessna!
I fully appreciate that prices are variable no matter where you live. I could uproot to Alabama or North Dakota to avoid high housing prices/taxes. But, then it would be higher prices to fly to family or higher doctor's bills or whatever. It's always something. It's about what kind of life you want to live and where you want to live it. I want to live in New England, Portland, ME especially.

I'm looking for cooler temperatures and cooler people. I want a life not so stuck on the 'what do you do' mentality. Rather, who are you?

Granted, there will be people that will call me a flatlander. That's ok. I am. But, I'm lots of other things too. And I want an opportunity to see a night sky not so polluted with light. Is Montana a better place to do that? Sure. But, it's not as close to my family or the ocean. So, I've weighed it and the East Coast is it. I just need to figure out how to do that and pay my bills as I will be renting my condo outside of DC at a loss. It's worth it though.

Thank you and keep the advice coming!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
No one is going to call you a "flatlander"!

For jobs, I guarantee that the salaries will be less than DC, but the housing costs, while expensive for Maine standards, are cheaper than DC. Utilities are probably more though, and perhaps food costs.

Here are what I've found to be the best job sources for Maine:

JobsInME.com - Local Maine jobs, careers and employment (Home)
Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com
Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM

43 posts, read 74,720 times
Shamrock - I grew up in Maine, lived in Portland a couple of years, and now, like you, live in the DC area. I love Portland, and envy you for your decision to make a move. Wish I could go with you but for now I'll settle for summers in Maine. Sounds like you have some flexibility so you might also want to look beyond Portland to find work. Brunswick/Bath for example is not far from Portland and offer many amenities. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
Yes....much better place to search is;
JobsInME.com or
techmaine.com or even linkedin

Also try the headhunters. i can personally recommend Prosearch in portland. look them up on line but don't hesitate to pick up the phone and talk to a person.

You might try LLbean in freeport its an easy commute or IDEXX in westbrook. Last thought if you've done Gov Contract work, there is a division of CSC in Brunswick. Also a fair amount of retirement communities try The Woods of Canco or Piper Shores.
Alot of people have dogs here. Dog walkers and sitters is a possibility.

Hope that gives you a few more resources.

Last edited by atrixwolfe; 11-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Check out the Brunswick and Bath area for living. You can always comute to Portland easily from there for work.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Others on the forum have given you some good links for job searching. Also, consider a 20-30 mile radius of Portland. Find a job and be looking at the cost and availability of a place to live. I hesitate to use the expression, but here goes--do the math. If the math works for you, go for it. Since you say to want to make the move in the spring of 2012, be cautious about accepting a job in the spring that may end in October unless you are ok with seasonal employment.

Piper Shores (retirement community) is advertising for a Dining Room Manager; if you're interested, you might want to apply now instead of waiting until spring. Job Details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine