Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

Somebody sent me a PM with the following question:

"Do you know how the unincorporated townships are named? What does the "T" and "R" stand for?"

I do know. The "T" is for township and they are generally numbered from south to north like a thermometer. The "R" is range and they are generally numbered from east to west. In fact, the WELS in many townships means West of the East Line of the State. T5R8WELS is northwest of T3R6WELS. You could know that simply from the numbers without looking at a map.

Many townships in the numbered regions also have names. For example, Rainbow Township is T2R11WELS. These rules generally hold true in those towns where the town boundaries go straight up and down and due east and west by true bearings.

Down in Central Maine where the town lines lean to the left, the towns were laid out by magnetic bearings and the boundaries go in the direction where magnetic north was around 1820.

What? They moved the north pole? Yes indeed. In 1820 magnetic north was about 13 degrees west of true north. Today it is about 18 degrees west of true north. That's why you see so many recent surveys where the boundary of a property is described as "North five degrees east". It was due north around 1820, but the north pole did indeed shift five degrees since then. Don't lose any sleep over this. Polaris or the North Star is still in the same spot it was when the Phoenicians sailed the seas thousands of years ago.

Down there in lower Maine there is no such orderly system. Townships can have seemingly random numbers going from east to west or west to east. You need a map to identify them. The numbers are followed by a whole list of names. Some that come to mind are;

NBPP which is North of Bingham's Penobscot Purchase.
NBKP which is North of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase.
NWP, North of the Waldo Patent
MD, Middle Division
BPP, Bingham's Penobscot Purchase (Bingham bought a lot of land.)
Township C
Township D
C Surplus

And my favorite; "Misery Gore". It seems two surveyors started from opposite ends and failed to meet in the middle. The resultant narrow strip crosses three townships and nobody was going to correct all the work they put into it. The area was rough country and the gore was accomplished with much misery.

The original question referred to "unincorporated" townships. The correct term is Unorganized Townships and if things go as we hope in Augusta they will soon have their freedom back. People live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM

64 posts, read 119,484 times
I always got a kick when I drove into "Letter E" on my way to Oquossoc. I would think, "They're one of the sponsors of Sesame street!!"

Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

"Do you know how the unincorporated townships are named? What does the "T" and "R" stand for?"

I do know. The "T" is for township and they are generally numbered from south to north like a thermometer. The "R" is range and they are generally numbered from east to west. In fact, the WELS in many townships means West of the East Line of the State. T5R8WELS is northwest of T3R6WELS. You could know that simply from the numbers without looking at a map.

Many townships in the numbered regions also have names. For example, Rainbow Township is T2R11WELS. These rules generally hold true in those towns where the town boundaries go straight up and down and due east and west by true bearings.

Down in Central Maine where the town lines lean to the left, the towns were laid out by magnetic bearings and the boundaries go in the direction where magnetic north was around 1820.

What? They moved the north pole? Yes indeed. In 1820 magnetic north was about 13 degrees west of true north. Today it is about 18 degrees west of true north. That's why you see so many recent surveys where the boundary of a property is described as "North five degrees east". It was due north around 1820, but the north pole did indeed shift five degrees since then. Don't lose any sleep over this. Polaris or the North Star is still in the same spot it was when the Phoenicians sailed the seas thousands of years ago.

Down there in lower Maine there is no such orderly system. Townships can have seemingly random numbers going from east to west or west to east. You need a map to identify them. The numbers are followed by a whole list of names. Some that come to mind are;

MD, Middle Division
Township C
Township D
C Surplus

And my favorite; "Misery Gore". It seems two surveyors started from opposite ends and failed to meet in the middle. The resultant narrow strip crosses three townships and nobody was going to correct all the work they put into it. The area was rough country and the gore was accomplished with much misery.

The original question referred to "unincorporated" townships. The correct term is Unorganized Townships and if things go as we hope in Augusta they will soon have their freedom back. People live there.
This should be in the hampden 95 rest area, in the info center behind glass on a wall

Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Wow! Thanks NMLM for answering a question that never quite got totally formed in my mind, but has been rattling about in there since I first looked at the Gazetteer!

Also for putting a number on the pole shift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

MD, Middle Division
Township C
Township D
C Surplus

Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Nice thread, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine