Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 PM

476 posts, read 747,946 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a number of properties and a fair amount of them are 2 bedroom/1 baths of varying square footage.
If we decide to do a room addition of a 3rd bedroom and possibly a 2nd bathroom, does anyone have experience as to what the usual procedure is regarding the basement for the addition in relation to the foundation? That is, assuming the additional structure is not located on top of a rocky ledge, is it normal to build on a slab foundation when adding on to a house which has a regular basement, or is the basement typically extended under the new construction. I would guess the former, but am not sure, coming from CA, the land of slab foundations.
One other question would be if anyone has experience in costing out the ballpark, per square footage $$$ figure for a room addition?
Thank you once again for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Until you get a backhoe or excavator to moving dirt you simply do not know what you will find. Maybe sand, clay and loam; maybe rocks the size of houses; maybe ledge; maybe you will open an aquifer; maybe a mixture of all these things.

A slab is pretty safe.

This summer I dug a lot of holes for footings and with each hole it was completely random the things I found.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
I do know it depends on the area of the state on "what you may find under the first layer or so".
In the "area where Princeton,Maine is.... my folks tried for a basement and they were only able to go half way down due to "ledge"
Lots of ledge in their area. Digging a mail box post was like wanting to dig to the "center of the earth."

Where I am about 20 so miles away I have a mixture and I too (have high hopes for an addition with a basement. I wonder too what it may cost, and what I will really find too.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I do know it depends on the area of the state on "what you may find under the first layer or so".
In the "area where Princeton,Maine is.... my folks tried for a basement and they were only able to go half way down due to "ledge"
Lots of ledge in their area. Digging a mail box post was like wanting to dig to the "center of the earth."

Where I am about 20 so miles away I have a mixture and I too (have high hopes for an addition with a basement. I wonder too what it may cost, and what I will really find too.
Isn't there some high tech way to get some idea what is under the surface before you dig?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
OP: find a bigger house you can remodel.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Isn't there some high tech way to get some idea what is under the surface before you dig?
We had an outfit here on the island that had the DEP doing soundings to find any possible contamination areas on the property. They found areas where they needed to dig quite deep (deeper than a basement) to remove concrete pads to search beneath. The equipment they used was so good it increased the acreage of the property by 4 acres or so.

Here, you could dig on one lot and hit ledge and go a few lots down and not hit anything but dirt.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
The front part of my house has a basement built in 1900. The recent addition before I bought it, done in 1996, has a slab. Sometimes bedrock is pretty close.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Maybe... I can call in MPBN's "History Dectives"..
Seriously.... will find out when the times come. Having people come in to find out would be a "cost" on top of a cost.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
If I couldn't dig a full basement, I'd use a Rubble Trench Foundation with an insulated slab inside. The Rubble Trench would go to the ledge so no issues with poor load bearing soil. A slab can have issues with frost getting under the outer edges unless properly built. Instead of a frost wall of concrete, look at the Rubble Trench design. Frank Lloyd Wright used them so I'd say they work. Lay out the foundation, have the excavator dig trenches where the walls will go. If no ledge, dig the entire foundation. If ledge is hit, go with the rubble trench. Never built on though...but everything is about drainage and the rubble trench seems to have the answer.

Rubble trench foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Default You never know what you will find when you begin digging.

Our plans called for a full basement. The site-work contractor does not like opening holes until they are needed. His reasoning is that all too often an open hole will fill with water. So he scheduled the work with the foundation contractor. The hole was opened on the day that the foundation contractor's first crew arrived to setup the foundation forms. Apparently this is standard procedure in this area.

For half of our home's footprint the digging went fine. But at about half-way they hit ledge. The grade in this area is flat level. The ledge is 4 foot below grade. The ledge has a drop-off to it, the drop-off runs through the center of our house. So half of our house was able to get a 8 foot basement, and half was only able to get about 4 foot.

The foundation contractor's crew sees this routinely. While they arrived on site with forms for an 8-foot foundation, they also brought with them other forms just in case. So when setting up their forms they merged the two depths of forms.

Also in the deeper area where we decided to install a sump, it turns out is an aquifer.

You just never know what you will find when you begin digging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: