Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM

973 posts, read 2,366,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is the "cost to renew registration" as shown on this calculator the same as annual "excise tax"?
When you register your vehicle for the first time in Maine, you will show proof that the vehicle was registered in another state, or that you have paid sales tax if it has never been registered. That's a one time deal. You also will pay excise tax to the municipality where you register it. That happens yearly. You also pay the registration fee which goes to the state. Vanity plate or specialty plate cost more than the regular chickadee plate.
The calculator linked above includes the registration fee and excise tax. That's why it varies based on type of plate you select.
You also must show proof if insurance when you register and lastly need to know the mileage on the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Maine, for the most part, uses a brine of (I believe) calcium chloride sprayed on the sand before they spread. Most towns use salt mixed in with the salt, as far as I know. As such you can't really tell it treated sand from regular sand until the roads start drying and turn white. In ecologically sensitive areas I think they just use salt. If the roads are used in the winter the State and municipalities either do this or risk getting sued for any accidents, I would think.

MaineDOT Winter Driving Information: Winter Materials Used

http://www.umaine.edu/files/2010/02/...mary-Final.pdf
What I have observed is this:

The interstate is on the Federal budget so they spray lots of stuff, before and during each storm.

Organized Townships on their own budgets will vary depending on how much money the town wants to throw at the issue.

Unorganized Townships [most of Maine] are handled by the county, which uses a budget allotted them from the state, which pays for plowing but no salt. At our town-line going from UT into OT the difference is very obvious.

For most of the wintah:
The OT side is black pavement with potholes exposed,
The UT side is smooth scraped snow/ice, no visible pavement at all [a much nicer ride].

I have seen where sometimes the OTs put down so much salt that it melts all the ice in the potholes, so you get a real jarring ride.

Whereas in the UTs the pothole fill with a good pack of ice, and then get scrapped smooth, so you get a nice smooth ride traveling along the road.

Sometimes in the beginning of wintah, in the UTs, when the black-ice is thick they will spread some sand to help give traction for folks without studs. But once a good base is built-up no further sand is needed.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,374,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What I have observed is this:

The interstate is on the Federal budget so they spray lots of stuff, before and during each storm.

Organized Townships on their own budgets will vary depending on how much money the town wants to throw at the issue.

Unorganized Townships [most of Maine] are handled by the county, which uses a budget allotted them from the state, which pays for plowing but no salt. At our town-line going from UT into OT the difference is very obvious.

For most of the wintah:
The OT side is black pavement with potholes exposed,
The UT side is smooth scraped snow/ice, no visible pavement at all [a much nicer ride].

I have seen where sometimes the OTs put down so much salt that it melts all the ice in the potholes, so you get a real jarring ride.

Whereas in the UTs the pothole fill with a good pack of ice, and then get scrapped smooth, so you get a nice smooth ride traveling along the road.

Sometimes in the beginning of wintah, in the UTs, when the black-ice is thick they will spread some sand to help give traction for folks without studs. But once a good base is built-up no further sand is needed.
Now that's a professional Maine winter road right there.

My family in Maine still sells sand to a local town each wintah for their yearly needs. They mix in a salt for the roads. Don't know about other places.

Now, to things in Maine that are cheaper........I know, labor, entertainment (because there is less), socks and picture frames. That's my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine