Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 PM

69 posts, read 172,443 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if there are any not-so-great towns anywhere from Rockland to perhaps Searsport. Or even Rockland all the way to Bar Harbor. I am trying to move back to the Camden area, but I pretty much have to go where I can find a job, so I was just looking for some input. I want a safe, family-oriented community, good access to outdoor activities/hiking, nice little downtown, adequate grocery/food shopping - all the essentials and a nice atmosphere to boot.

I know that the outdoor activity part describes most of Maine...

Please let me know if there are some towns that are higher on the "fits the bill" list and ones that are not as nice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:20 PM

561 posts, read 505,613 times
Traveling north on US Route 1 you should check out the following:

Thomaston - Small, lower home prices, fewer jobs, working community, frieldly.
Rockland - larger, higher home prices, more services, more jobs, more tourist oriented, friendly.
Rockport - small, higher home prices, fewer jobs, very friendly, more retirement oriented.
Camden - larger, higher home prices, more jobs, tourist oriented, nice community, good schools.
Winterport - small, family oriented, fewer jobs, driving distance to Camden or Bangor.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
I would agree. In addition you need to look at the tax rates which vary widely. Some towns are frugal spenders and some towns spend extravagantly. As always, homes on the water are the most expensive followed by homes where you can see water, then homes with good views and lastly homes in ordinary settings. Of course, homes in ordinary settings in Maine have better views than many other states.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:37 AM

69 posts, read 172,443 times
Good info so far - thanks so much! I just want a small little house. No water view required. I just need to get back to Maine and raise my son there. I've heard Belfast is a fun town, larger than Camden, Rockport, Thomaston and the likes... any input on Belfast? Thanks again.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I would agree. In addition you need to look at the tax rates which vary widely. Some towns are frugal spenders and some towns spend extravagantly. As always, homes on the water are the most expensive followed by homes where you can see water, then homes with good views and lastly homes in ordinary settings. Of course, homes in ordinary settings in Maine have better views than many other states.
Which towns are the frugal spenders? Are you allowed to tell?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 AM

561 posts, read 505,613 times
Belfast would be a good choice too.

It's a working community. Good services. Not so tourist oriented. Good schools. Nice downtown area. Friendly. The departure of a large employer (MBNA) a few years ago has hurt a bit, but home prices are lower as a result. Reasonable driving distance to camden, Augusta, Bangor.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:30 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurphy View Post
..... I pretty much have to go where I can find a job.
You will need to put the job finding part of the equation in first.

Because the population is so comparatively sparse, there are not many jobs around to be had. You have to remember that all the people who live in Philadelphia which is packed in tight. Philly has 1.5 million people packed into 142 sq miles. The job market in Philly is to the best at the moment.

Maine on the other hand has 35,000 square miles, and a population of 1.3 million.

This means that the number of jobs available in the best of times to the square miles is sparse. Even in very very rural Pa in Bedford County, there are nearly 50,000 people living there compared to only 39,000 in Waldo county, where Belfast is located. To have jobs you have to have enough people to need those jobs. Most of Maine is pretty stable in regards to population that needs the jobs. Maine's job outlook will only improve as its population increases. Its a bottom line demogrtaphic problem, unless it involves an industry that is selling to out of maine big time, like the paper industry was doing.

You need to find a source of wealth first, and then move to a place near it. But there is another factor. If you are applying for jobs and you are out of state, don't expect the employer to even bother to get back to you unless you have a job quality that can't be found in the myriads of people who actually live here who are applying for those same jobs. If the employer is looking for a PhD level stellar astrophysicist with specialized experimental experience in the S-Process, then they will probably have to look afield of Maine, since I doubt that they will find many in maine with that skill area.

It is what it is.

Last edited by Zarathu; 11-19-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 08:02 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Of course I'm allowed to tell, but I'm headed out the door to meet with my fellow City-data Mainers and don't have time to research it at the moment. That's a tomorrow project. I'll post the mil rates of towns from Winterport to Rockland. How's that?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:21 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Which towns are the frugal spenders? Are you allowed to tell?
This has been brought up previously for discussion. So far nobody has found a single document that tracks all municipal Mil-Rates through-out the state.

After the state puts out how much they want, then each town does it's own thing to determine how much they will add onto it to support their budget and finally the voodoo of determining their Mil-Rate.

Some towns post their Mil-Rate on their town website, other towns do not, and of course many towns have no website.

A year ago I went to the town West of us on a day that their town office was open [they were only open two days a week] and we had a very nice chat to learn about what all services they offered. Among other things I learned their Mil-Rate was exactly twice my town's Mil-Rate. I also learned that the town immediately to our South has a Mil-Rate that was three times [ +/- 0.5% ] my Mil-Rate.

In my own investigating this topic I have learned that from town to town the Mil-Rate can vary over a very wide band width.

If one town charges you $100/year for a specific assessed value, the next town might charge you $200 or $300 for the exact same assessed value.

It would be nice, if someone did the research to compare all towns of Maine to compile this data.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
This has been brought up previously for discussion. So far nobody has found a single document that tracks all municipal Mil-Rates through-out the state.

After the state puts out how much they want, then each town does it's own thing to determine how much they will add onto it to support their budget and finally the voodoo of determining their Mil-Rate.

Some towns post their Mil-Rate on their town website, other towns do not, and of course many towns have no website.

A year ago I went to the town West of us on a day that their town office was open [they were only open two days a week] and we had a very nice chat to learn about what all services they offered. Among other things I learned their Mil-Rate was exactly twice my town's Mil-Rate. I also learned that the town immediately to our South has a Mil-Rate that was three times [ +/- 0.5% ] my Mil-Rate.

In my own investigating this topic I have learned that from town to town the Mil-Rate can vary over a very wide band width.

If one town charges you $100/year for a specific assessed value, the next town might charge you $200 or $300 for the exact same assessed value.

It would be nice, if someone did the research to compare all towns of Maine to compile this data.

Sounds as if you have a decent start. You're retired Navy, all kinds of money, go ahead and finish the job. I bet you could even find some places to spend a night on long trip with us CD folks. Ahh, you could probably just use the phone and call the town halls. Probably easier on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine