Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM

276 posts, read 848,761 times

Advertisements

I just did this in October. I always renewed online until this year because now they need to prove I was a citizen and had to go in with my birth certificate. Since my address was the same on my license I did not need a utility bill or anything like that. They asked me if I wanted a new picture and I said no, I was thinner and 10 years younger, yeah, I'll keep it, as long as it looked like me they were ok. I didn't ask if now I was proven I could renew online later or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM

37,466 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Then you received bad information.
Would not be the first time. It happens.

The first time I went in to a DMV office and tried to get Farm plates the DMV clerk said I could not. The next time I dealt with it, I went to a town office and walked out with farm plates.

Sometimes state employees are just as bad as federal employees.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I tried to do it on line...but was refused. I think this is part of the "suppress the vote" effort.

Maine has a proud history of voters taking responsibility seriously...and voting....but there are efforts to find a way to suppress likely Democratic voters.....ie. same day registration....now picture ID....who knows what they will do next????

Old 11-23-2011, 03:21 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I tried to do it on line...but was refused. I think this is part of the "suppress the vote" effort.

Maine has a proud history of voters taking responsibility seriously...and voting....but there are efforts to find a way to suppress likely Democratic voters.....ie. same day registration....now picture ID....who knows what they will do next????
There are also federal efforts to make you prove you are who you say you are. That's why Maine is having to increase their scrutiny upon applying for a license. There has been some debate about this for the past few years in the legislature.

I don't know why some have problems and some don't. I guess common sense takes a back seat from time to time.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:28 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Well I am prepared now for a bit of "flack" like the last time I renewed. I was away for a week and have been sick now with the flu/cold for almost 2 weeks and actually too miserable to go sit for an hour or so in the BMV. The soonest I can get there now will be Monday the 28th as I do believe the state has one of those furlough days on the 25th. To save the state money. So I am prepared to be dressed down by the clerk, as I was when I renewed late the last time. Why should it matter to her/him? God these people think they have so much power. It is actually comical.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 AM

276 posts, read 848,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Well I am prepared now for a bit of "flack" like the last time I renewed. I was away for a week and have been sick now with the flu/cold for almost 2 weeks and actually too miserable to go sit for an hour or so in the BMV. The soonest I can get there now will be Monday the 28th as I do believe the state has one of those furlough days on the 25th. To save the state money. So I am prepared to be dressed down by the clerk, as I was when I renewed late the last time. Why should it matter to her/him? God these people think they have so much power. It is actually comical.
I've actually run in to two nice clerks at Bangor DMV, one is a mexican looking woman but has no accent or anything and long black hair sort of wavy and the other is a guy, perhaps of Indian heritage. I've never had any problems with either of them, the rest seem like they really want to be corrections officers

Old 11-24-2011, 05:07 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,365 times
Just had my experience with registering. I finally am a Maine resident! I had been told my town office would handle all my mv registering. I bought a new vehicle and went down there. The nice lady asked me for my vehicle insurance card, 2 means of proof of residence. I had my tax bill, another bill and told her I had just come directly from the dealer and had not called insurance company yet to transfer vehicle insurance. I also asked her how I go about getting a license. After all said and done she said only thing I could do there was pay excise tax. I had to go to Bangor for license. I asked if I could also then register the new vehicle in Bangor. So I said, well since you want to take my money, I may as well register now to vote. She says let me see your drivers license. I laughed and said, I just asked how do I get one. She says, sorry, need a drivers license. So off I go to Bangor the next day.Since I was told all I needed was 2 proof or residency, I brought them along as well as my DD214, letter or permanent disability from the VA. Nothing was ever mentioned about birth certificate or passport.
By now I am doing my best to keep a smile on my face and through clenched teeth, tell the person I don't even know where my birth certificate is, never had a passport and wasn't told I needed either. She said they needed to have proof of place of birth. I said, it says it right on my DD214 so she asked her supv if that would be okay, it was...whew! Next she asks me for proof of insurance for new vehicle. I said I just bought it yesterday and called to transfer my auto insurance and gave her the new policy #. Not good enough, they needed the card. I said, heck I just did this and it will be in the mail soon. Not good enough. I said wait a sec, thankfully I still had tel number in my phone, called insurance company and they faxed it to her in a matter of minutes...whew!
Finally she takes my picture, tells me license will come in the mail. I was surprised because I was used to getting picture taken, waiting a couple more minuets and walking out with a real license in hand. Every state does it differently I guess.
Now from Bangor, off I go, back to the town hall with puffed out chest and proudly show my new drivers license to register to vote. The lady says, proof of residency please. I said, I showed you yesterday, you took my money for my property taxes, YOU pulled it right up and KNEW who I was without even asking my name or address. I asked her if she would kindly look it up right there in her system...she did. I register and can now proudly vote in Maine.
Becoming a resident isn't easy...lol! But I feel it was worth it.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:39 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
When you can order a birth certificate over the phone, like a previous poster did, it is so easy the steal someones identity. The never even asked for her parent's names. How secure is that?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:57 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
It looks like each town has a different price structure for what the excise tax is. I looked at an excise calculator for the exact same numbers in two different towns and one was quite a bit lower than the other. I wonder if the one included the registration fee in the calculator and the other one didn't?

Last night we dug up an expired passport for my wife and a current one for me, and birth certificates from PA for both of us. We also have our other driver's license from PA. We can produce a utility bill for electric, but we don't have any other utilities currently. We can produce our house payoff from the bank.

Maybe I can print out the direct TV projected bill. How about the bill from our attorney for evicting the renters?

Old 11-24-2011, 07:26 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
[quote=Zarathu;21843845]It looks like each town has a different price structure for what the excise tax is. I looked at an excise calculator for the exact same numbers in two different towns and one was quite a bit lower than the other. QUOTE]

Negative--Excise tax rate is set by the State. Each town gets to keep the excise tax they collect, supposedly using it toward local road maitenance.

Here's the rates. Rate for 6th year is what you pay any year past 5.

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine