Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 PM

276 posts, read 848,712 times

Advertisements

There is a camp for sale up near Milo and for zoning it says LURC Zoning. There is already a cabin there, I know there are a couple of you on here that know what this means. No water and septic so under LURC does that mean you can't put them in to live there year round?

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post
There is a camp for sale up near Milo and for zoning it says LURC Zoning. There is already a cabin there, I know there are a couple of you on here that know what this means. No water and septic so under LURC does that mean you can't put them in to live there year round?

Thanks in advance
Contact LURC. They will give you the answer.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:26 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance
52% of the townships of Maine are controlled by LURC.

LURC is a committee of political appointees. They may or may not have any agenda when they decide how to do things. They are not elected and there is no electoral process to change who they are or to change their policies.

If you want to do something on your land, you may submit an application.

Whether the application is approved, or not, lies with LURC and what their plan is for Maine's future.

LURC has a 10-year general plan. It is called a CLEP. Drafts of our current CLEP were mailed out to all out-of-state landowners for their input, before it was finalized. The final CLEP was again mailed out to out-of-state landowners.

My Sister-in-law is an out-of-state landowner, which is where I get my copy of the CLEP. As far as I know, I am the only person in my town that has a CLEP, since landowners who live in Maine and under LURC's rule are not on the mailing list.

Any permit application would need to be screened to see if the landowner's intent complies with the existing CLEP.

If an application is denied, it's denial will be because it does not comply with the CLEP.

Our CLEP focuses a great deal on 'primitive use' only applications. It defines primitive use as non-petroleum-consuming non-electrical-grid and non-paved-road uses.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
It's a CLUP; Comprehensive Land Use Plan. What you can do depends on the 'vision" that LURC activists have for the land you own. You submit your application and keep your fingers crossed. A state legislator came up into LURC territory when the CLUB was being drafted. He had the final draft. He brought it back to Augusta with three bullet holes through the center of the document. Nice group too. No, the legislator was not the one who made the holes. It was a liberty loving citizen.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Ooops, my apology.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Well guess that all confuses me a little more

Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM

You could pound a shallow well [sand-point] and use a composting toilet.

And / or you could file for a permit and hope that it gets approved.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
MAINERr, LURC is basically the zoning board for the Unorganized Territories, which your camp apparently is in. It lays out the rules for setbacks, septic systems, and the like. If you're interested in buying the camp, call LURC (207-287-2631) and ask them whatever questions you have. As individuals, LURC staffers have always been helpful to me. Depending on your plans to improve the camp, you may or may not need a permit for the work, just as you would for a house in a city with zoning.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
MAINERr, LURC is basically the zoning board for the Unorganized Territories, which your camp apparently is in. It lays out the rules for setbacks, septic systems, and the like. If you're interested in buying the camp, call LURC (207-287-2631) and ask them whatever questions you have. As individuals, LURC staffers have always been helpful to me. Depending on your plans to improve the camp, you may or may not need a permit for the work, just as you would for a house in a city with zoning.
Going to try to do it this week. I've applied for a job in Dover (should hear this week if I get the 2nd interview, crossing my fingers) and if I don't get it then I am going to apply for one in Milo. This place would make a great place to crash if the weather got to bad.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:47 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
Going to try to do it this week. I've applied for a job in Dover (should hear this week if I get the 2nd interview, crossing my fingers) and if I don't get it then I am going to apply for one in Milo. This place would make a great place to crash if the weather got to bad.
Best of luck to you. Knock 'em dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine