Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Bar and chain oil is about as good as it gets. Anything to protect the under carriage is better than nothing I guess.
My how times have changed.

I remember having vehicles that always had a light coating of oil everywhere in the engine compartment and undercarriage. When I was a teen it seemed a matter of great importance for grease-monkeys everywhere to steam-clean cars to get rid of that oil.

Now it would appear that such a coating is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM

399 posts, read 854,887 times
There used to be a product called GUNK that you could spray on the engine and then clean with a hose provided you covered up certain parts. I too remember all the grease under the cars. These days it seems none of that exists and some parts but not all are stainless steel. If cities and towns are using highly corosive materials on the roads, like the mechanic told me, there are lots of vehicles now rusting out real fast.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
There used to be a product called GUNK that you could spray on the engine and then clean with a hose provided you covered up certain parts. I too remember all the grease under the cars. These days it seems none of that exists and some parts but not all are stainless steel. If cities and towns are using highly corosive materials on the roads, like the mechanic told me, there are lots of vehicles now rusting out real fast.
Yes, I have used Gunk many times.

Now I wonder, when I change my oil, if I were to spray the used oil up to fully coat my vehicle undercarriage [in an environmentally safe manner], if that would be a good thing.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM

399 posts, read 854,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes, I have used Gunk many times.

Now I wonder, when I change my oil, if I were to spray the used oil up to fully coat my vehicle undercarriage [in an environmentally safe manner], if that would be a good thing.
Well I don't think that's such a bad idea Forest especially since the mechanic I spoke with seemed very alarmed by the problem. he said he had a "few" cars in the lot that were newer models with the same problem. With my luck though I'd spray the oil somewhere it didn't belong and be unable to stop the car

Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM

34 posts, read 104,456 times
No more used Maine vehicles for me! I just bought a 2006 Silverado in Florida - WITH NO RUST!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: