Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

I have to say again that if some of you have no discernable skills, you may want to look into learning a specific trade to open yourself to better job possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 107,246 times
Finding work in Maine is proving to be tough for me also, but damn it will be worth it when I find one. I have applications out at EMMC for Phlebotomy since I took a 5 month class to train for it before leaving MS. Good luck on your search. Hope it works out for you.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Hey Mickey D's will help towards paying some of the bills while searching for something better.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM

McDs is, apparently, a good place to work nationwide. They have higher than minimum wage pay and offer different scholarship programs. And you sure can't beat it for a flexible schedule. The only thing you miss out on is tips. Now, go to work at a Hooters, and you'll rake in $200 a night in our area. It's just too bad they can't figure out a way to showcase MEN in those skimpy little outfits! How unfair is that??

Hey, maybe we can get a group of women together and open up a chain of "Studs" all across Maine. We can employ some of these otherwise unemployable males - of course, we will have to judge you based on looks, hygiene and general desirability! We won't, however, have to ask where you worked last and where else you've applied!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
I don't think Maine has a Hooters yet.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM

Guess that's means it's still a level playing field!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Hey, maybe we can get a group of women together and open up a chain of "Studs" all across Maine. We can employ some of these otherwise unemployable males - of course, we will have to judge you based on looks, hygiene and general desirability! We won't, however, have to ask where you worked last and where else you've applied!
Dunno about that, but I was chatting with a friend who is currently staying with his daughter and son-in-law while waiting for his disability, and he mentioned that they were going to be "renting him out" to a neighbor... They are on an Army base and apparently the nieghbor's soldier hubby is either deployed or not handy, and she has a list of "honey-do" jobs...

I had been reading several fellows unsuccessful job hunt tales here as well and commented to my friend that maybe I needed to start a "rent-a-hubby" service up there... put some of those guys to work (heck, anyone can do "husband-quality" work, we'd not say they were pros!) and make a few bucks myself. But I am not sure... is there the $$ in the economy there to support it?

That would, at least, be ideal for the guys who didn't make the cut at "Studz" (I think with a Z makes it sound like a cooler place...) because of their looks, hygiene and general desirability... my tag line could be "you get to send them HOME at night!" LOL

Starwalker

Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
McDs is, apparently, a good place to work nationwide. They have higher than minimum wage pay and offer different scholarship programs. And you sure can't beat it for a flexible schedule. The only thing you miss out on is tips. Now, go to work at a Hooters, and you'll rake in $200 a night in our area. It's just too bad they can't figure out a way to showcase MEN in those skimpy little outfits! How unfair is that??
Equally unfair to those of us no longer in the "chick" category... I was a dang good waitress at one point in my past, but never would have made the cut at Hooters (I know, I've eaten at several...) then, and certainly not now.... even though I am a far more experienced flirt. What IS a hen to do! LOL

Starwalker

Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I was pretty good too - the flirting made me more tips than the hooters! And nowadays, the hooters have shifted a bit, the hips have widened to accomodate 3 babies but I'm still a pretty d***ed good flirt!

*Just don't tell my hubby!*

Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 PM

5 babies here.. and gravity has taken its toll... but I am not yet even close to wanting to RETIRE in Maine, though I do intend to be -- and stay -- there when I do retire...

(bringing things back to a the Maine topic <g>)

Heck, if I can get a gig at Mc.D I might just take it... I am that anxious to get to ME and away from the heat and humidity of NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine