Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM

35 posts, read 87,643 times

Advertisements

My family and I want to move to the northeast next year. We are in the medical/IT fields. We want a better quality of life from what we have in the south.

We are considering Maine and New Hampshire. All things considered, why Maine instead of New Hampshire? Any pros/cons are welcome. We are looking at Portland, ME and Portsmouth/Concord/Manchester, NH.

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Where are you now?

Why are you considering the NorthEast?

What are your priorities in a place to live?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Jackson Labs is the largest medical and IT organization in Maine other than the biggest hospital which is Maine Med in Portland. Maine offers four real seasons and outstanding recreational activities. The FBI says that Maine is the safest state.

Maine is bigger than the other five New England states put together. New Hampshire has a much higher population density with pockets of rural lifestyles still remaining. New Hampshire has no sales tax or income tax. Maine has both and we are nearly the highest taxed state in the nation per capita income. New Hampshire is #49 in tax burden. They would be #50, but Alaska pays people to live there.

That's a good start. If you like an urban lifestyle with hundreds of delis, clubs and hangouts you might prefer Boston.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the good info.

We are looking to escape the oppressive heat of the south and the general attitudes and political climate here. Been dealing with it for far too long.

We are looking for a place of beauty, with friendly people. We like snow, the ability to hike, fish, and hunt. We are more city-oriented but like to pursue outdoor stuff when we want. We are not worried about best schools and the like. These things are largely what you make them, with exceptions, of course.

I'm open to jobs outside of IT, as I've been thinking of re-inventing myself, as IT as we know it is undergoing a sea change in many different ways (push to the cloud, etc.).

Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
Come for a visit and you will be better able to tell which state you prefer. Maine has way more coast than NH. NH has the tiniest seacoast of all coastal states.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I grew up in Central/Eastern Maine. have lived in California(loved the weather, hated the politics), Florida(hated the humidity), New Hampshire(loved the lack of taxes) and now finally back to Maine. There's lots of good and some bad living in Maine. But for the most part it's a great state.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co95 View Post
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the good info.

We are looking to escape the oppressive heat of the south and the general attitudes and political climate here. Been dealing with it for far too long.

We are looking for a place of beauty, with friendly people. We like snow, the ability to hike, fish, and hunt. We are more city-oriented but like to pursue outdoor stuff when we want. We are not worried about best schools and the like. These things are largely what you make them, with exceptions, of course.

I'm open to jobs outside of IT, as I've been thinking of re-inventing myself, as IT as we know it is undergoing a sea change in many different ways (push to the cloud, etc.).
We do not have much oppressive heat, the cool weather we have is pretty easy to get used to.

We do have a lot of friendly folks, and outdoor beauty.

Maine is kind of short on cities though.

Jobs are scarce now, if you come here best to bring your own job with you.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM

forest beekeeper,

Thanks for the reply.

By cities, I mean anything above 20k. I never want to live in a major city again. I like to visit big cities, but living in them is a drain on the soul. NYC might be an exception to this.

Out of Maine cities like Augusta, Bangor, Portland, which one would medical/IT do best in in the current climate? I'm willing to re-invent myself and move away from IT, which is my plan anyway. IT is not doing well anymore and it's a thankless job for the most part. I can do interesting tech on my own. What kind of jobs do the various cities in Maine focus on? This will help us clarify and distill down our thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co95 View Post
... Out of Maine cities like Augusta, Bangor, Portland, which one would medical/IT do best in in the current climate? I'm willing to re-invent myself and move away from IT, which is my plan anyway. IT is not doing well anymore and it's a thankless job for the most part. I can do interesting tech on my own. What kind of jobs do the various cities in Maine focus on? This will help us clarify and distill down our thoughts.

Thanks.
There are hospitals all over, and a lot more medical clinics scattered about.

Those IT personnel I know are either professional students at university or else they hold multiple p/t jobs in sales/marketing to pay the rent. [One even grows garden veggies and sells them to help cover the rent].

I am not sure if there is any career field today that is thriving. I guess medical is the closest to doing good as any.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM

forest beekeeper,

Thanks for the info. Which of the Maine cities are doing better in terms of economy? This kind of info is hard to pin down since one has to actually be in the state to really understand the areas concerned. I really don't want to move someplace is is overly economically depressed. Everyplace is hurting a little, but some places are almost dead economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine