Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 PM

167 posts, read 422,556 times

Advertisements

The last 3 years I was teaching I had my local dentist put caps on 13 of my teeth. (I had had several teeth break) This fall when I was In AK where I spend spring to fall (since I retired), my new dentist up there said that at least 5 for the caps had been poorly sealed. Xrays showed that this had caused leakage and there was a lot of decay under the caps So far I have had 3 of the caps taken off, decay removed and new caps put on. I had to return to Maine before I could have the other two caps replaced. So I am looking for a dentist within reasonable driving distance to Wells that I can trust to do the two remaining caps. With the experience I have had I don't want to just trust to luck for a good dentist. Soooo, any recommendations? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
The last 3 years I was teaching I had my local dentist put caps on 13 of my teeth. (I had had several teeth break) This fall when I was In AK where I spend spring to fall (since I retired), my new dentist up there said that at least 5 for the caps had been poorly sealed. Xrays showed that this had caused leakage and there was a lot of decay under the caps So far I have had 3 of the caps taken off, decay removed and new caps put on. I had to return to Maine before I could have the other two caps replaced. So I am looking for a dentist within reasonable driving distance to Wells that I can trust to do the two remaining caps. With the experience I have had I don't want to just trust to luck for a good dentist. Soooo, any recommendations? Thanks
Most dentists have running water in their offices. I wouldn't use a dentist that didn't.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
I have used the Dentalcare Inn in Wells. My husband is a lousy patient and even he is pleased with them. They are very professional, reasonably priced, and they will be straight with you about the complications of the work recommended.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
If you don't mind a little drive, Dr. Robert (Bobby) Lundin 207 929-3550 Rt. 202, Hollis Center. He's done a great job with his sister's teeth; she had a biking accident.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 12-09-2011 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Just a piece of advice: Watch your dentist like a hawk. I'm not saying anything about them that I wouldn't say about many professions, but dentist's make tons of money doing crowns & root canals. In fact, I had one tell me that, because of fluoride in the water, young people have so few cavities that they would go under without the 50+ year old patients.

First, call around to all your local dentists and check prices for these services. I found the local price spread to be about 40%. Second, be VERY suspicious of dentists recommending MULTIPLE procedures, or preventative and expensive ones (crowns, replacing fillings, etc.). You've had a lot of work done that I wonder about... but of course only these dentists would know. Anyway, do all this BEFORE you need work done, or you won't have the option when you get tooth pain. Once you've located a competitive dentist, have a cleaning done before you need major work so you can see his/her standards of cleanliness. This isn't a big problem in Maine, but still something to watch. If the dentist comes in and says you need 5 crowns during this first visit (like one said to me in Virginia), move on to another dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine