Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 29,199 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Your state of Maine is beautiful, and I was wanting to hear from anyone with any insights on the areas of Belfast, Belmont, Stockton Springs, Northport, Boothbay Harbor so on. These areas in particular intrigue me, I work at home, so don't have to worry about a job anywhere, but would like ato know if these areas have good hospitals, shopping so on, and what are the thoughts on these areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2006, 05:16 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionar7
Hi,
Your state of Maine is beautiful, and I was wanting to hear from anyone with any insights on the areas of Belfast, Belmont, Stockton Springs, Northport, Boothbay Harbor so on. These areas in particular intrigue me, I work at home, so don't have to worry about a job anywhere, but would like ato know if these areas have good hospitals, shopping so on, and what are the thoughts on these areas...

Well, Belfast is the county seat of Waldo County, and the greater Belfast area includes Belmont, Stockton Springs and Northport. There is a good hospital there, and it is a very pretty small city. Property values are pretty high, due to the resurgence of the town brought about by MBNA, which is now Bank of America. However, since that merger, the future of that company in the town is speculative. My elderly parents live in Belfast, and they have lived there for thirty years.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:12 AM

9 posts, read 40,260 times
Default Alioness

I am Acadianlion's wife. I have lived here, with my new husband, for 5 years. We were high school sweethearts, and married each other 38 years after that fact! However, I would chose to live here alone, had the marriage not been the factor in my relocation. Living in Maine is for the adventerous, the person flexible in attitude, and accepting of things that change slowly. If one judges Maine by any other standard than what it is, a largely rural environment with scattered villages and small towns/cities, than there is a let-down ahead for you. You may look at http://www.maine.gov for a lot of information regarding lways in which living here successfully may happen.

Maine is unique in many respects. If anybody remembers America in the late 1950's/60's, the state OUTSIDE BIG CITIES somewhat reminds one of that kind of life-style. Laid back, yes, but in the throwes of a changing economy, (what was once a thriving industrial component no longer exists). The population of children is on the wane, but small towns still cling to the idea that children need to be educated locally--that is--for the most part, taxation exists in order to support dying school districts, and "ordinary" services, such as municipally sponsored trash pick-up does not happen!
removed for another healthy dose of information regarding the challenges we are facing, and how we are addressing them on this level.
Feel free to contact me if you have other concerns, or want more info.

Last edited by Marka; 07-05-2006 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-04-2006, 01:49 PM

53 posts, read 267,836 times
Default Another potential Mid Coaster from "away"

My wife and I currently live in the Eastern Rockey Mountains, just west of Colorado Springs and have just started thinking of moving to Maine. We are at 9,300 feet and used to snow. We're also in a small community (two stop lights, one grocery store, two gas stations, etc.) and love the quiet rural life. I'm fortunate to have telecommuted for the last 8 years in the IT industry and can live almost anywhere so long as I can drive to an airport periodically.

The slow pace appeals to us - in fact we're thinking now of moving in 2 - 3 years, starting with a visit in 2007. Neighbors helping neighbors happens here so we're happy to be in a community that feels the same way.

Our current (perhaps nieve) plan is to find some land to buy, put our current home on the market, move to a year-round rental home, and build a new home. I am very blessed to have a healthy salary not dependent on my location ($120/yr).

Can anyone guide me in finding an average cost per square foot to build in the Mid Coast area? We'd like waterfront land in this order - ocean front, inlet, river connecting to the ocean, large lake, interior river. We'd also like a rural property setting.

Thanks in advance of any responses!!

- Jeremy

Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
Well, it will be easy finding a place that would work for you. But it will take a lot of work finding the "right" location. If that sounds strange, consider this: Maine has many rivers that flow into the ocean. Along these rivers are small towns and normally a large one sometimes right at the point that the river enters the ocean at the head of a bay. Ellsworth, Bucksport, Eastport, Wiscasset, are but a few that come to mind. There are a gazillion lakes in the state: remember, Maine is larger than all five other NEw England states combined with a smidgen of New York state thrown in. Three thousand miles of coast line.

Square foot costs? I dunno...anywhere from $50 to $1000 per square foot is probably average, depending on what you are buying and how large the house is. One thing is for absolutely certain: IF you are going to build from scratch, MAKE very sure that you are HERE during the entire building process. If you are not here, then you must have a professional who you hire to represent you to see to it that the project moves along. Building labor is patchy at best here, and workers are as apt to not show up at all, as they are to show up and simply not get anything done. We have the same social problems in Maine as elsewhere. This is one reason why there is a substantial growth of the modular home industry in Maine, and we are thinking seriously about having a modular home in our new location next year.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:00 AM

439 posts, read 721,049 times
The median price of a Home in Portland is around 240K- a little higher perhaps around Brunswick. I reccomend the town of Bath (around mid coast) population 9700. Close to Brunswick (home of Bowdoin College) and Boothbay Harbor-yet another living option. further east along US Route 1 consider Camden, Rockland and Rockport -small towns located on Penobscot Bay (housing here would be a bit higher) but a very idealic lifestyle can be had.
Belfast is very pleasant as well- further east Bucksport is a wonderful town as is Ellsworth. I would check with local realtors and builders to get land costs and prices for building a home of your needs.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:57 AM

3 posts, read 9,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
"...IF you are going to build from scratch, MAKE very sure that you are HERE during the entire building process. If you are not here, then you must have a professional who you hire to represent you to see to it that the project moves along. Building labor is patchy at best here, and workers are as apt to not show up at all, as they are to show up and simply not get anything done.
I don't know if this helps but we lived in NJ bought a piece of land in Waldoboro (near Friendship, Damariscotta -midcoast area-) and we had a house built while still living in NJ. Everything very well. We used Miller & Miller Construction out of Friendship. We worked with an onsite manager who was our direct contact through the whole process. They came recommended by a friend who lives there and are established in the area. We are very happy with the results.

Hope that helps you in this area.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:21 PM

48 posts, read 111,370 times
mid-coast area is beautiful;belfast is a small city with a "working" waterfront (fishing, lobstering, tour boats etc.), lots of art aleries in the area, antiques shops abound, maskers theater (plays), arts in the park during the summer. a lot of community involvement. belmont and other surrounding towns are primarily residential, a few has some businesses. northport is midway between belfast and lincolnville and just starting to grow, there are areas where you can buy land with a water view but you WILL pay for it. camden is called the "Jewel of the Coast" where "The Mountains Meet The Sea" there are islands with ferry service which are worth a visit. many grand sea captains homes too that are quite palatial.
Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine