Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I do not see any of this as related to poor road design.

I have driven on far worse roads. Cairo was the worst, followed by Naples. Compared to areas that truly do have poor roads, these roads are fine.
I couldn't disagree more, from my experience. Rt 4 north of Auburn has had its share of head on fatalities because of poor driving. But my reality is that the road needs a median. Washington ave here in Auburn has its share of fatalities because of drivers ( a lot of times teens or elderly) turning left and entering the road across traffic and have been broad sided. Its basically a 4 lane highway with a 2 way stop sign. should at least have 4 way traffic lights. And I am not talking about loosly travelled areas I mean heavily travelled road ways. I could go on and on and on and on.

All accidents can be traced back to operator error but the amount of risk taken when you travell these roads can be unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
Try crossing route 4 on foot! Or on horseback. The main trouble with it is getting drivers to slow down! Everyone is in such a rush to go nowheres. They have added some center turning lanes to see if those will help the problem of accidents. I see a bit of improvement but people still go too d*&# fast.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
with all the road construction everywhere, you'd think we'd have the best roads on the planet!

worst time of the year for our roads is in the spring,, when the ground is thawing(frost) under the roads,,.

lol,,,,,you ride along,,see a small sign that may say "bump" or frost heave,,,,,and it could be anything from a small bump to bottoming out your car in the depression in the road,,
its like riding bumper cars,,

Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I couldn't disagree more, from my experience. Rt 4 north of Auburn has had its share of head on fatalities because of poor driving. ...
Quote:
... But my reality is that the road needs a median. Washington ave here in Auburn has its share of fatalities because of drivers ( a lot of times teens or elderly) turning left and entering the road across traffic and have been broad sided. Its basically a 4 lane highway with a 2 way stop sign. should at least have 4 way traffic lights. And I am not talking about loosly travelled areas I mean heavily travelled road ways. I could go on and on and on and on.

All accidents can be traced back to operator error but the amount of risk taken when you travell these roads can be unreasonable.
Than we agree. The problems are not road design or road maintenance, the problems are due to the drivers.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Try crossing route 4 on foot! Or on horseback. The main trouble with it is getting drivers to slow down! Everyone is in such a rush to go nowheres. They have added some center turning lanes to see if those will help the problem of accidents. I see a bit of improvement but people still go too d*&# fast.
Yes people ___X____ are they get into accidents.

'X' could be drive too fast, or not pay attention, or smoke crack.

None of these things has any connection to road design.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
with all the road construction everywhere, you'd think we'd have the best roads on the planet!

worst time of the year for our roads is in the spring,, when the ground is thawing(frost) under the roads,,.

lol,,,,,you ride along,,see a small sign that may say "bump" or frost heave,,,,,and it could be anything from a small bump to bottoming out your car in the depression in the road,,
LOL

It slows down the tourists.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

in Washington County they only mark the ones where you could lose your car!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:58 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
in Washington County they only mark the ones where you could lose your car!
That may be funnier than you know. My grandma didn't get her license until she was in her 60s and was a real speed-demon. She only drove for a few years- she was coming back from her brother's place at the end of Ackley Road (out past the Cutler Naval Station) when she hit one of those bumps and her old Buick broke in half just behind the driver's seat. She never drove again after that.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 PM

The Cutler Naval Station is a wonderful location.

One of the first things that I had to do when I got up here was to go visit Cutler. It being one of only two transmitters that can reach the entire fleet, is a vitally important facility. At a great location!

After so many years of aligning our antennas to point at 'Cutler' it was great to tour the facility.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That may be funnier than you know. My grandma didn't get her license until she was in her 60s and was a real speed-demon. She only drove for a few years- she was coming back from her brother's place at the end of Ackley Road (out past the Cutler Naval Station) when she hit one of those bumps and her old Buick broke in half just behind the driver's seat. She never drove again after that.
OH NO!! I hope she didn't get hurt! I've said that about a car falling into those "heaves" before but never dreamed it actually happened to someone....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine