Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
So how do you walk in fresh snow? I can't imagine it would be easy. Do you just step in and sink to your calves?
Today's snow was very dry light and fluffy. If we had any wind it would blow away quickly. It did not stick to my vehicle nor windshield at all. It fell off very easily.

It is not my habit to drag my feet. However in this stuff I purposefully drag my feet. It makes a well defined trench behind me. Each trip that I make out to the chicken coop or goat shed or vehicle parking lot, I make these trenches. If the weather should turn warmer to sleet or rain, and then re-freeze; it will all harden in place. Then those trenches will remain tomorrow and will allow me to walk in them.

Goats have very tiny pointed hooves, which does not allow them to walk well on top of a frozen layer of snow. They punch right through it. So they will stand in one place and whine. They do not like to walk through deep snow banks.

I made these trenches and if the snow stays and re-freezes, then the trenches become paths that the goats will walk in. They do not like to step outside of these paths that I make.

But as you would think, had snow fell, and it re-froze once. Then it makes a thin crust on top. Step on that crust and you punch through, sometimes if the snow is thick you fall down to your hips if it is deep enough.

We have ditches alongside of our driveway. One foot of this light snow, can blow around and it will look like a smooth level blanket. Fooling you that there is really a deep ditch there underneath the snow. It is still only a foot of snow, but there may be places where you step and fall through until you finally hit solid ground. A flat level smooth field of snow may deceive you into thinking that the ground is flat. Or that the ground is ground, it might be a creek or pond.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
Maine Writer !! THANK YOU.. it's so pretty !!! My lil one says WHO showed you this? Tell her thank you. So thanked twice !
You're welcome! I'm going to have to ask my camera guru how to make the picture bigger while keeping the megabytes down.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Snowing! (broken link)

It's a big file but it's the smallest I can figure out.
I downloaded and saved on my desktop, so anytime I get wishing for snow, now I can have it, at least virtually! Thanks!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Isn't it wonderful?! I showed it to my kids yesterday when they got home. They were wide-eyed and gasping, "Wow! That's a lot of snow!! But how will we learn how to make snowmen?" Of course, that's the first thing to enter a child's mind.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
We have frost on the ground this morning. Finally dropped below 40 last night. My girls are out there now trying to pick it up! Poor kids!!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Don't know exactly how much we ended up with but only about 6 or 8" of light fluffy snow. Boys are getting ready to go roll around right now. They closed the schools because it was wicked windy last night and was supposed to continue this morning as well. Hard for the drivers to see with hard blowing light snow so they canceled school. Should make for some good drifts in the usual places.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:35 AM

411 posts, read 899,024 times
I'd venture a guess that at this point we have about 20 inches or so. Not really blowing around too much, but it seems packed in spots. Our goat feeder down in back is almost buried, and we made it 23 inches high. Snow is still coming down, and hubby has been out for 24 hours so far, had 2 hours of sleep so far. Wish it would stop soon, I'm getting tired of doing chores and doggies and shoveling all by myself. lol. Didn't go to work today as my friend that I nanny for called and said she wasn't venturing out, so don't bother, unless I wanted to visit. I'll probably head over later when I go to town for feed. Hope the roads get better!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM

Noticed that the last couple of years, you guys down south of us, but just north of Bangor have been getting it worse than we have further North. Not that I am complaining though!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I have to mow the lawn and trim the hedges and dead head the roses today!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have to mow the lawn and trim the hedges and dead head the roses today!
Let's do a psychic test here. Can you tell what I am thinking right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine