Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,367,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
Ok I am back on track I had a freak out moment on the sex offender thing
Jen, you have to take those reports with a grain of salt sometimes. Before you flip over that one, let me explain. Some of those are actually an 18 y.o. boy who had, ahem, relations with a 16 y.o. girl whose daddy found out. It's unfortunate IN SOME CASES, but those "labels" will stay on the kid's record his entire life.

Some also may be for the nasty old neighbor man who "relieved himself" off his back porch, and got caught doing so by the mommy next door while her babies were playing in the yard. That happens here a lot! You'd think everyone would have indoor plumbing by now, even in Texas!

Then, of course, you have the honest to goodness perverts, around whom no child is safe. Unfortunately, it's hard to distinguish between the plain old idiots and the truly dangerous people in this day and age of overzealous handslapping.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,367,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Polish, huh? Me too. My grandparents came here from Poland when they were children, met in Boston as young adults and were married 72 years when my grandfather died. You knew Grammie was mad when she started scolding in Polish.

Thanks for the info. I might DM her, not sure it's worth her using her time for something like this though. I'm still amused. See what happens when someone assumes something? Neither of us said or even thought anything negative about Caribou. Elcarim's never been there and I've been only once. The mention of Caribou had absolutely nothing to do with the town.
And if it weren't who we think it is, then HOW, praytell, would he know whether or not to be offended by such a simple question???????? Huh???????

Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,718,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
And if it weren't who we think it is, then HOW, praytell, would he know whether or not to be offended by such a simple question???????? Huh???????
Oh it HAS to be who you are thinking of. Haven't seen any posts from them lately, but....

I'd report it myself, no need to have a negative rep when it wasn't called for. Sounds like a closet troll who doesn't have the chones to make a post along with the drive-by dings.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 AM

411 posts, read 894,656 times
Yikes! I'm gone a couple days, and boom! all heck breaks loose here it seems. I'm going to be glad I missed this one... Been busy all week. We've had the first meeting for our homestudy, feel really good about it, it went quite well. Will finish that up on January 2nd. Still have the Fire Marshall inspection, fingerprints to do, water test to send in, and medical appts. to make. All of that shouldn't take but a month to handle. Then we'll be licensed. Yay!!! We are getting excited. Bunk beds (thank you FB!) are painted, and ready to be set up in the kid's room, and the room is organized and clean. Soon there will be the sound of 2 little feet running up and down my stairs. Can't wait for that day! It snowed again last night, about 3 inches or so I'd say, and hubby is off again. On his way home now, at 10:00am, left at 2am this morning. Goatie mamma is preparing for baby-birthing anytime now, things are wonderful!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM

37,244 posts, read 60,976,905 times
We when first moved up to Maine, I rented an apartment in Bradley, for us to winter-over in while I was building this home.

I soon found the sex-offender listings for Maine, and I learned that across the road from us was the home of a registered sex offender.

From what the locals there told me, he is mentally challenged, so much so that he can not hold a job. When he turned 18, a local teen girl had a fling with him, their parents found out and had a fit. She had no baby, he would have willingly married her but he had no method of supporting a wife. He is middle-aged now. I have no idea how he is supported.

What I found most interesting, is that many schools are located in residential areas. With the laws that a sex-offender can not live within so many yards of a school, it rules out the majority of suburban homes. Leaving the really small towns that do not have a school, or rural areas.

Also one other issue that Maine has with it's sex offender listing:
In April '06, a Nova Scotia man was enraged at the idea of sex offenders, so he accessed that list on the WWW. He planned a road trip that would have taken him to 34 sex-offender's homes, to visit them in their homes. He started his road trip and visited two sex offenders killing them. His road trip ended sooner than he had planned with him killing himself.

Last edited by Submariner; 12-12-2007 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: I changed the date, Ooops

Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 AM

Forest I read your post and thought I was getting older real quick because it seemed longer ago than that. That whack job came over in April of 2006. I think they revised they listings a bit, but not sure how. I do know they had pulled it off the web for a bit following the murders, but it is back on now. I couldn't really tell what the difference is though.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 AM

37,244 posts, read 60,976,905 times
My apology.

Two Aprils ago.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 AM

No biggie, I thought I was losing it for a minute. LOL I had to look it up just to be sure.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:18 AM

323 posts, read 988,674 times
Thanks El for the wisdom my husband said the same thing to me. He said we have more danger in our path living here than in Maine, I agree with that.
Sex offenders and the laws are a whole can of worms, I dont' tend to agree with how they handle much of it. I just don't want them living next to me!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 AM

411 posts, read 894,656 times
One of the men he killed was someone that was indeed on the list because of sex with a minor, when he was a very young adult. If I remember correctly, he was around 19, and she around 17 or so. He was also somewhat mentally challenged, although able to be a productive member of society. I know someone who was his good friend, lived across from the man when he was killed. That young man had a girlfriend who watched him get shot. Very sad situation... he was doing so well for himself at the time. The other man that got shot I believe was likely the same situation, I seem to remember hearing something to that effect, although I could be wrong. But the one in Corinth, that's the one I knew about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine