Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 AM

323 posts, read 993,114 times

Advertisements

So Sorry EL!!!
Your family is in my prayers....

Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Then think about how you would have reacted had you kept walking without turning on the light, and got that thing on your face.
Total panic. If I had one of those on my face I'd be a crying heap on the ground.

I worked briefly as the USDA forestry office on the UMO campus. I set out with one of the researched one morning to take notes for him. He told me there were 10,000 spiders per acre on average in the Maine forest. That was 21-22 years ago. I haven't forgotten this.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 PM

454 posts, read 886,217 times
(Sorry to interrupt the current conversation!)

I watched the most disturbing documentary on our government and the war on Iraq last night. I literally had my mouth hanging open at the end of the film. And I was angry and astounded.

I wish that EVERY AMERICAN had to watch this before deciding who to vote in to office, .....AND, who goes strolling in there with them.

I usually stay out of political conversations, as I have huge issues with the "government" of today. I honestly DON'T want to vote for the next president. Why?
Because it really IS guessing on the lesser evil. And, even if we do get the "lesser evil" into that oval room.....it's becoming frighteningly apparent (after the last 7 years) we REALLY need to be careful about who they bring in with them.

Those of you who know me (albeit via this forum) know that I'm not one to proselytize, or promote any specific beliefs, political sides, or agendas, but PLEASE....do yourselves a favor, and rent the documentary "No End in Sight", directed by Charles Ferguson.

*warning: This is not a film for children, as it does contain some disturbing images..

Old 01-11-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Total panic. If I had one of those on my face I'd be a crying heap on the ground.

I worked briefly as the USDA forestry office on the UMO campus. I set out with one of the researched one morning to take notes for him. He told me there were 10,000 spiders per acre on average in the Maine forest. That was 21-22 years ago. I haven't forgotten this.
Ummm....
Per acre??
Great...I'm surrounded!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
Maine Writer, i went to the Seasons Eatings Web site, i like the idea of using conduits to build hoop house, they are ready available and easy to work with. I want to build one and on the web page it show some heavy snow weighed problem.

Here are my questions:

Would the next Hoop house build the same way again.
No. I'd add rebar to the conduit to give it more strength.

The purlins on the sides would be at least one piece of 1 x 3, not several pieces. If I were building another I'd probably use 2 x 4 for additional strength. I'm not sure what I'd use for the ridgepole (can't be seen in this photo). This particular house is in a heap right now. I thought I was ready for everything when the first snowfall came this past fall. The only thing I forgot to do was remove the poly. 10" of snow did it in.

Quote:
Why conduit, not white schd 40 PVC.
PVC breaks down and off gasses a lot more than conduit. It eventually becomes brittle and breaks down faster than conduit because of the prolonged exposure to sunlight.

Quote:
Are those 2 peices of 10 feet and 1" dia connected by the coupler at the top. thanks
They are two 10' pieces. One end fits into the other. I eventually added screws to secure them.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Then think about how you would have reacted had you kept walking without turning on the light, and got that thing on your face.
I would have performed the heebie-jeebie dance for a minute or so while screaming and frantically brushing myself off.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
I would have performed the heebie-jeebie dance for a minute or so while screaming and frantically brushing myself off.
LOL, me too. I still get the shudders thinking about it. Got another one, almost as good- I used to work nights, my wife (before she was) would wake me up and hand me a cup of coffee and I'd get ready for work while she got ready for bed.

One night, I was asleep on the couch. She woke me up and gave me the coffee, and turned on a fairly dim lamp. When I got to the end of the coffee it looked like the whole bottom of the cup was cracked or something. I turned the light to bright for a better look- spread over the bottom was one of those fat hairy brown spiders.

I made some kind of groaning noise at the thought of that thing going into my mouth, she came running, asking what was wrong. I just handed her the cup, she looked in it and screamed.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
Maine Writer, i went to the Seasons Eatings Web site, i like the idea of using conduits to build hoop house, they are ready available and easy to work with. I want to build one and on the web page it show some heavy snow weighed problem.

Here are my questions:

Would the next Hoop house build the same way again.
Why conduit, not white schd 40 PVC.
Are those 2 peices of 10 feet and 1" dia connected by the coupler at the top.
thanks
At this past MOFGA 'Common Grounds' fair, the hoop-house demos that were done, they explained that conduit is cheaper and remains flexible. So wind will make it shake and deflect ice.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
LOL, me too. I still get the shudders thinking about it. Got another one, almost as good- I used to work nights, my wife (before she was) would wake me up and hand me a cup of coffee and I'd get ready for work while she got ready for bed.

One night, I was asleep on the couch. She woke me up and gave me the coffee, and turned on a fairly dim lamp. When I got to the end of the coffee it looked like the whole bottom of the cup was cracked or something. I turned the light to bright for a better look- spread over the bottom was one of those fat hairy brown spiders.

I made some kind of groaning noise at the thought of that thing going into my mouth, she came running, asking what was wrong. I just handed her the cup, she looked in it and screamed.
Oh, thank the gods that didn't happen to me....I'd not be able to drink coffee anymore!
Talk about traumatized...lol

Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
See I don't mind the spiders in Maine so much. We had Black Widows in MD. Yikes! My worst experience (thankfully not a bite story) was when I pulled some batting out of the basement to use as "snow" for Christmas decorations. I left the batting on a box of ornaments and came back to it a few hours later. When I turned it over there was a Black Widow under it. I think I shook for the rest of the day after leaving that in reach of my toddler. Ack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine