U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM

41 posts, read 147,679 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I am new here so if I am breaking any forum rules I apologize in advance!

My husband has convinced me that retiring in Maine is an excellent idea Now that I am on board, I just want to get a feel for a place I have never set foot in. We lived in Rhode Island for a short time and traveled to Mass and NY, but never as far North as Maine.

I will not be retiring and though I know my husband envisions living close enough to a body of water that he can cast a fishing line from the front porch, I am more realistic. I work from home and need to be in a fairly populated place without too many neighbors so the hubster can feel like he has truly died and gone to retirement heaven. He will also be attending college so he can use his GI Bill to finish up his Degree before realizing one can only fish for so long before needing to do something else (wait, does that actually happen, or am I hoping it will? ).

Suggestions on areas? We plan to buy and are looking at staying below $290k. I wanted to rent for a few months before finding the perfect home, but rentals seem few and far between in Maine. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 1,997,656 times
Hi, and welcome.

I suggest come up for a visit. Maine is a wonderful place, and very diverse. Come spend sometime driving around, see which area you might be interested in.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Hi, and welcome.

I suggest come up for a visit. Maine is a wonderful place, and very diverse. Come spend sometime driving around, see which area you might be interested in.
Thanks RHB! I definitely intend on doing that this summer. We are hoping to buy and be in a home before 2012 school starts. My husband will be on his last deployment with the military so it will be all on me when it comes to house hunting. I know what he wants, but I need to make sure I am in an area where electronics can still be my friend while still being as rural as possible. Maine is a big state and I am just looking for some ideas on where to start.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM

3,386 posts, read 6,498,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensiblyScented View Post
Hi Everyone, I am new here so if I am breaking any forum rules I apologize in advance!

My husband has convinced me that retiring in Maine is an excellent idea Now that I am on board, I just want to get a feel for a place I have never set foot in. We lived in Rhode Island for a short time and traveled to Mass and NY, but never as far North as Maine.

I will not be retiring and though I know my husband envisions living close enough to a body of water that he can cast a fishing line from the front porch, I am more realistic. I work from home and need to be in a fairly populated place without too many neighbors so the hubster can feel like he has truly died and gone to retirement heaven. He will also be attending college so he can use his GI Bill to finish up his Degree before realizing one can only fish for so long before needing to do something else (wait, does that actually happen, or am I hoping it will? ).

Suggestions on areas? We plan to buy and are looking at staying below $290k. I wanted to rent for a few months before finding the perfect home, but rentals seem few and far between in Maine. Thanks in advance!

Try looking somewhere around Portland, Augusta or Bangor. All have universities nearby. Augusta and Bangor will be cheaper than around Portland, and the Bangor area may be a little cheaper.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 1,997,656 times
The only commissary is in Bangor. There is no medical available, we use Martins Point (my hubby is also a military retiree)
We settled about 30 min. north of Bangor, still easy to get to everything we need, and where I work (at the commissary) We are in the woods, along the river. We are a couple hours away from the coast. So this gave us "the best of both worlds"
There are lots of lakes and rivers to choose from, lots of schools to chose from. I'm sure you will find your "fit"

Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Thanks Austin B! Those are the areas I am thinking would be a good fit. He has his eye on a home in Aroostook County. We are a family of 7 and would end up being 10% of the town's population lol. He's dreaming

Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
The only commissary is in Bangor. There is no medical available, we use Martins Point (my hubby is also a military retiree)
We settled about 30 min. north of Bangor, still easy to get to everything we need, and where I work (at the commissary) We are in the woods, along the river. We are a couple hours away from the coast. So this gave us "the best of both worlds"
There are lots of lakes and rivers to choose from, lots of schools to chose from. I'm sure you will find your "fit"
I had no idea there was even a commissary up there! Bonus!

Your location sounds exactly what I am looking for. I know my husband wants to be on 100 acres somewhere (better yet his own island lol), but I think he just needs a proper vacation after this many years in the service

I absolutely cannot wait for the summer and to get up there to start looking. My children are home schooled right now so I plan on taking off as soon as they get their state testing done in early May.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 26,880,904 times
maine has many many lakes and ponds and rivers and ocean to fish-not many places you can throw a dart at a maine map and not be within 5 minutes of fishing
maine is also the most forested state over 90% trees, so you can have that "in the country feel" in most cities/towns in maine

Come on up and travel around to a few towns, see what you think, so many nice places to choose from

Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,287,144 times
I'd second RHB's thoughts.... though if you need "electronics to be your friend" you will need to use due diligence in researching each place you consider. I am not sure what sort of connectivity you need, but the "wired" lifestyle is not a priority for many in the more rural areas of Maine.

I am north-ish from Bangor, a bit NW of RHB... it is a 30 min drive to Bangor (actually less to the commissary) and we have Time Warner cable for Internet but my Virgin mobile android device does not work here... though it does in the Bangor/Brewer area which is why I got it (for accepting credit cards at farmers and artisan markets). We looked at a LOT of places where cable was not available, though DSL might have been. We needed the form of connectivity we have because I do graphic design work from home, -- print and web -- large file transfers and need quick access to clients web sites to trouble shoot pretty much instantly. My SO is a gamer, as well... (World of Warcraft) and often we are both online at once (like NOW!)

I found it very hard to get reliable info about connectivity and eventually had to have Time Warner "vet" each likely address as we considered it.

Good luck! If there is anything I can do to help... shoot me an Direct Message. I'm always willing to help, and when you are planning your recon mission later in the year, let me know if you are going to be in the Bangor area and I'll treat you to coffee.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM

Starwalker I sent you a message!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine