Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,517,672 times

Advertisements

You will find Maine has a "winter" where North Carolina just has very little weather below 32 degrees. This year is very unusual in that we don't have snow on the ground here in mid Maine. We have had snow this season 23" altogether since Oct. but it all melted. If you didn't care for the cold of Seattle, Maine isn't for you. I have no idea how many houses there would be for "rent" that were out in the country so far that you wouldn't see your neighbor. You will have to contact some real estate agencies to see about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM

41 posts, read 155,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
You will find Maine has a "winter" where North Carolina just has very little weather below 32 degrees.
This is probably true for some parts of North Carolina, but every winter I remember not only snow, but also a lot of ice on the roads which made trying to drive anywhere impossible. Businesses closed down, schools closed down (yay for when I was a kid lol), everything shut down for days until the ice melted. Freezing rain was a very common occurrence where I grew up and because there is not nearly the amount of snow as in other places, parts of North Carolina are completely ill-prepared so it took a day or so for salt and sand trucks to get to you. Also, the humidity down there gives the air a much colder feel.

I was worried when we moved to Rhode Island that we would have the same issues, but everything is so much more organized there. We had one winter where the snow and ice was so bad they asked for no one to be on the roads, but other than that everything was always clear in the main areas.

I am in no way saying North Carolina winter compares to Maine lol. I am just saying that despite what written statistics online are I never remember a winter without snow, and icy rain was more obnoxious than any snow we ever had in Rhode Island.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:59 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
we are in the dead of winter now- this is rare, very little snow on the ground,,,fairly mild
in some ways I love it- using less oil, but the folks that depend on snow- the skiing industry and snowmobile areas/ ice-fishing/smelters are getting hit pretty hard- this has a trickle affect too, the lodging industry, restaurants, the folks that depend on plowing, the snowmobile dealers,
I hope this doent mean it will be snowing in may and june

Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,149 times
@ WheredoIbelong & SensibleScented:

We live just over the border in Virginia (close to Clarksville, VA), Raleigh is about an hr's drive and is the nearest city to us. In fact I taught at a NC school for a few years, many years ago. Just wanted to say, "Hello" to you both and wish you well with your respective decisions about moving to Maine. I have to say I will miss shopping at Trader Joe's, The Crab Tree Mall (not the traffic though), the Cheese Cake Factory, and the North Carolina State Fair where we have shown our livestock for many years. I am looking forward to retirement and a return to the northern climate. We really do miss the snow as strange as that sounds!

Speaking of snow...... I am going to chime in and mention that I remember some pretty heavy snows here over the years. The unexpected 18' of snow that shut down the schools, towns, and airports that fell in 1999, the snows of 1996, and the ice storms of 1994 and 1998. I'll never forget the ice storm and snows of 1994. We were living near Washington, DC at the time and had just moved there from Buffalo, NY where we had lived our entire lives. We were really surprised by the weather because it was so much like home that year and we had just moved to the, "South!" In fact it's hard to figure the weather out here sometimes; with the 10 degree low last week and then today 72 outside. I will definitely not be missing the heat! Last summer's heat index of 113 did me in literally!

Murphy's Law should kick in about the time of our planned move in late Feb or early March, expect snowstorms up and down the east coast!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM

34 posts, read 71,253 times
Something else I wanted to ask of those who know Maine well.

From looking at my map of the state, it seems that the state gets less populated/developed the more North and East you go.
If this is true, is this change fairly gradual or are the changes pronounced or abrupt at certain towns/geographic features or other points as one moves up and to the right?

This info may help me determine how rural/remote I want or don't want to be, at least initially.

If not, I would appreciate some info to help me understand what to expect.

Thanks again for the continued contributions.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 AM

41 posts, read 155,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgana434 View Post
Murphy's Law should kick in about the time of our planned move in late Feb or early March, expect snowstorms up and down the east coast!
Hello back!!

Isn't Murphy's Law the way it always goes?

Thanks for the well wishes!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereDoIBelong View Post
Something else I wanted to ask of those who know Maine well.

From looking at my map of the state, it seems that the state gets less populated/developed the more North and East you go.
You don't see it when you look West?

Start at Baxter Park and look North-West. How many cities are in that region?

Quote:
... If this is true, is this change fairly gradual or are the changes pronounced or abrupt at certain towns/geographic features
Not for a while, but we used to have a few debates about where the Volvo-line lays.

For some the demarcation is roughly laid in a higher population-density, while for others they see it with a lower population-density.

I think of it as being fairly gradual.

For some, anything South of Augusta-Belfast is too populated. For others anything South of Bangor-Ellsworth.

Quote:
... This info may help me determine how rural/remote I want or don't want to be, at least initially.

If not, I would appreciate some info to help me understand what to expect.

Thanks again for the continued contributions.
You gotta come up and see for yourself.

Spend a few days in each region.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 43,579 times
My family and I are moving to Maine as well. I have looked at thousands of homes online for the last two years. We live in south central Illinois currently so I am no stranger to a cold winter. I am delighted to read all the posts by gardeners. I am a gardenining fiend and was concerned about the shortened growing season. It sounds like I won't have any trouble growing my own veggies.
The one condition on my move is that my greenhouse is going with me.
After searching every angle and even calling the school districts, the chambers of commerce, even the local newspapers, I have decided that Eastport is for me.
We currently own a business that depends on tourism and my husband drives a truck so he can find work anywhere. I am not interested in renting, we will buy, the only trick is that I have to be able to sell my house and liquidate my business first.
Then of course, we have to time this all perfectly so we get there and settled after school ends here and before it starts there.
We have a trip planned in March to scout out homes for sale. Hoping to find one to buy and to be able to close by May and moved by august.
I am a planner and I want to be certain I have a years living expenses saved first. I wouldn't mind to work at a seasonal job, but honestly, after years of entertaining others, I would be delighted to be the tourist for a change, come on March!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM

34 posts, read 71,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You don't see it when you look West?

Start at Baxter Park and look North-West. How many cities are in that region?
I was talking generally and not from any specific point or from a "city" point of view.
Baxter Park is in the northern area and where is seems to be almost uninitiated. Also, populations don't always depend on cities.
More than a few states have populations strewn over unincorporated towns and unorganized territories, irrespective of any large cities or the capital city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You gotta come up and see for yourself.
Spend a few days in each region.
Of course I will have to, but not until I determine whether it is one of the states for me and my future. I don't want to move home ever again, as I am truly sick of it.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 43,579 times
I cannot say that I have any personal experience having not yet lived in Maine, but if you are concerned about being cold, Northern Maine is not for you. It is most certinly cold. There is not only the guarantee of a cold winter but a long winter. I have read that it is not uncommon to have snow and quite a bit of it in April. It starts in in October sometimes and lingers till April. Google "noreaster", that will give you some idea of what you will be in for. Anyone planning a move to Maine needs to also be prepared to be without utilites during a snowstorm. It rarely happens here in the midwest, but two years ago we went 5 days with no power due to ice.
When considering a move to a remote area that gets a lot of snowfall, be sure to have an alternate heatsource in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine