Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:00 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you and I are on the same page Beekeeper.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
while I live in a town, where i feel safe leaving the doors unlocked and cars unlocked, some noises at night put me on high alert- the midnight knock on the door now freaks me out since watching all the crime shows- I've had a few-mostly someones car broke down
I keep a high powered flashlight handy- 2,000,000 candlelight-you shine that in someone's face, they are immediately blinded, i've got pepper spray handy, and I also have guns- but down in the basement
If i lived out in the country-yup id have a hand gun

if you've never had a gun before-yes safety training is recommended- but if you have a friend, that knows guns- he/she can take you thru the basics

Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
while I live in a town, where i feel safe leaving the doors unlocked and cars unlocked, some noises at night put me on high alert- the midnight knock on the door now freaks me out since watching all the crime shows- I've had a few-mostly someones car broke down
I keep a high powered flashlight handy- 2,000,000 candlelight-you shine that in someone's face, they are immediately blinded, i've got pepper spray handy, and I also have guns- but down in the basement. If i lived out in the country-yup id have a hand gun

if you've never had a gun before-yes safety training is recommended- but if you have a friend, that knows guns- he/she can take you thru the basics
Our doors and cars are left unlocked as well.

I keep a cattle prod hanging on the inside of our front door though. But mostly for goats and hogs. When they get loose, they all know that I keep grain inside. So whenever they get loose they come knocking on my door. Open the door to a group of curious critters and you have a battle to get them moving back outside again. A cattle prod in your hand with 100,000 volts making an arch is enough to change their minds about coming inside.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM

346 posts, read 786,228 times
I've been a gun owner for over 30 years and just got one for my wife for Christmas.
If anything, it's piece of mind.

Like having cash in your pocket, a full tank of gas, or food in the closet.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
I really can't think of more than a couple households of people in Maine that I know of who don't have a gun of some sort. I also can't think of too many friends and aquaintances in CA either who don't own a gun of some sort. I guess that makes me someone who likes to have many people close to him that have guns, just in case. That way, I don't have to own one myself. Like having a friend with a boat or airplane, it's cheaper and I don't have the burden of responsibility. Besides being cheap, I'm lazy and selfish too.

My theory is: If the world really gets bad and famine, pestilence and drought invade CA or Maine, at least I should be able to convince one of my gun owner friends or family members that it would behoove them to loan me one of their weapons to help them in their quest for self preservation.

But to answer the op's orignal question easily, yes, you should buy a gun in that part of the state that you are going to be living in. I can think of more than one reason to own one which may involve critters, creeps or can shooting. Although, most of the creeps have left Maine and gone away.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
I've been a gun owner for over 30 years and just got one for my wife for Christmas.
If anything, it's piece of mind.

Like having cash in your pocket, a full tank of gas, or food in the closet.
Found this a few years back & thought I'd share:

"I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did.
She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!'
To which I said, 'Of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!'
She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?'
I said, 'No, not at all. I’m not afraid of the house catching fire either,
but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.'

To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like
having a car in the garage without gas in the tank." Unknown.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
I don't think you will have to be worried about coyotes, how many people in Maine were killed by coyotes in the last 100 years? about as many as were killed by wolves I suspect.
I'm also very surprised on this forum by the amount of people that do NOT own guns, I was amazed.
How is that expression : "People with guns kill people" sorry Charleton.
In these times of economic hardship you'll see more crime AND as many folks are not able to feed their pets many will just dump them and then you'll have sick, hungry, ferel animals. And THOSE are the most dangerous ones. ALSO Rabies is reaching epedemic in a lot of regions.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I hope I never have to use a fire extinguisher in my home. It's messy and there is a lot of paperwork when it is used. This should not deter somebody from having a fire extinguisher because the harm of not having one is much worse than the inconvenience of needing to use one.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Found this a few years back & thought I'd share:

"I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did.
She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!'
To which I said, 'Of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!'
She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?'
I said, 'No, not at all. I’m not afraid of the house catching fire either,
but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.'

To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like
having a car in the garage without gas in the tank." Unknown.
All good explanations for keeping a loaded gun handy. I wish you knew who said it.
GL2

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 AM

134 posts, read 243,154 times
I'm packing heat because you never know when a bear or moose could bust in the door looking for items to steal.

And those squirrels out there look pretty shifty. Pretty sure they are all on meth. I'm watching those bastards, and if they make a move...pow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine