Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM

191 posts, read 519,124 times

Advertisements

Just curious. When we were up in Maine last month - we noticed a lot of houses had these large ornamental stars over their garage, on the peak of the house etc. Is it just a popular decoration (like the pink flamingos here ) or is there some other significance to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
I have the same question. Last time I was in Aroostook County I noticed a lot of houses had them on the wall facing the road. Then I saw them for sale in Reny's. Do they have some special significance, like membership in a secret society of something?

Old 09-03-2007, 02:08 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
I dunno, but once I get up there, Maine will start to see "penn dutch" hex signs!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:16 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
That's a common decoration here in the "Lone Star State". I see them on the peaks of the front of houses a lot these days. I don't personally care for it, but it is significant in Texas.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Its a trend in decoration called Primitive. I have one, but have yet to hang it up somewhere.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
I think I liked them better when they weren't quite so popular, but I like the larger ones. I wanted one but I didn't have a place for it.....how did I miss this thread when it came through a couple of days ago? so many threads....so little time--well, at least for right now!

Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 PM

I always thought those stars were just a Texan thing!

"So many threads...so little time!" I know the feeling! I keep my laptop in the LR, and as I'm breezing through my day, I stop by every few minutes to check for the latest post just so I can keep up. When I leave for the day and come back, it takes me a LONG time to catch up on my reading. And you people thought I didn't have a life and just sit on here talking to myself all day!

I actually have to keep a watch on my business email, too, so it's a convenient excuse to check "all" my messages every time! DH says, "You sure spend a lot of time chatting with all those people you don't know." I told him, I'm making friends and influencing people! And when we get moved, it will be so nice to already have some friendships established so we can just settle right into our new state and feel right at home.

Several people around here have told us that they've "heard" that New Englanders are backward toward people, don't like new people and "clannish" was the latest word I heard used. I always ask if they know anyone from that area. It's always, "No, I've just always heard that!" I can gladly tell them that MY friends in Maine are quite the opposite and are always helpful and welcoming. I've even got a sweet, new friend from Belfast who is helping us get all the info we need for our move, and helping me track down info periodically on utilities and stuff. I've sure never met anyone so helpful here - in our wonderful state of Southern hospitality!

Anyway, back on topic--I don't decorate in stars - I tend to decorate in a more nautical theme. Our son's room is decorated entirely in a sailing theme - it's so cute!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
We had a florist in Cumberland Center, just went out of business, and they seemed to feature them as the front of the building was covered with them. That's how I figured houses in town had them.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Elcarim I love what you wrote! I do the same thing--checking back from time to time--and I love it when the print on the thread title is bold! It means someone has posted!

and the nautical theme so fits with your new state!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 AM

I'm telling you! It's just who I am and have always been - a Mainer at heart!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine