Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times

Advertisements

Correct, but if you compare those houses in Lincoln, Maine and Lincoln, NH you'll see it plain as day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 04:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
If I were moving long-term, i'd rather have a southern border state of new hampshire than mass.

maine is over 90% trees and most forested state- we will remain that way for a longgggggggggg time
new hampshire is our buffer zone

Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
If I could find such a house within 20 miles of where I am I would buy it in a minute. Maybe those prices are now available in Milo or Millinocket area.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
The economy is horrible. If you depend on a job, good luck finding one.

Taxes? well, there are ways around that issue. Taxes in Maine focus a lot on businesses, which make it really hard to stay in business. Pensioners on the other hand commonly find they pay little in taxes.

If you want forest, rivers, lakes and ponds; a home on 100 acres; Maine has that a thousand fold.

I really can not offer much of an opinion of NH. I chose Maine sight unseen from a great distance from my internet research.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Thank you all again very much. I know this was asked in a biased forum (Maine not NH) but I was leaning Maine anyway. It seems to be confirmed more & more as I see these posts come in. I hope someday soon this'll work out down the road. Please do keep the info, pro & con, coming. It may help many others as well that are trying to decide a similar situation.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Both are very equal in our vote. But I like Maine because of various reasons. I made a thread last yr about high cancer rates, though, in Maine & now NH also has high rates I see. Can anyone clear up which would be best vs all things considered?

I'd include everything from; health care rank, smoking rates (preferrably lower amount of smokers - we don't like or want 2nd-hand smoke if possible), the best economy, weather, crime rate, pollution, cancer rate, heart disease rate, etc.

Also, cost of living & other factors that anyone can add that may weigh in the decision.

Thanks alot to all for the info & help. Any clarification/feedback would certainly help alleviate confusion between the two states.
Carefully check out property taxes in NH. They are generally much higher than in Maine (which is mostly rural) and among the highest in the nation. No income or sales tax, they have to get their revenue from somewhere. Even the most modest homes have really high taxes, mostly in lower NH.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Both states have "cancer clusters" which are mysterious.
Are these mapped, and are they tied into chemical sites, manufacturing plants, radon or nuclear sites?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
I'd pick NH, and in fact if my daughter weren't in Maine, I'd be living there. Once you get out of the Boston commuting area, NH is very much like Maine. NH has lower taxes and less poverty. NH is more conservative and less entitlement centered. The fishing isn't anywhere near as good in NH, but I could buy a hundred nonresident fishing licenses in Maine for the difference in the taxes there. No contest in my view.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
newenglandgirl, That's why it's a mystery. Nobody has been able to find a cause of these clusters in either state. They are not widespread. It's possible that they are simply coincidental. In addition, the internet enables the discovery of clusters that might never have been discovered in the past.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Carefully check out property taxes in NH. They are generally much higher than in Maine (which is mostly rural) and among the highest in the nation. No income or sales tax, they have to get their revenue from somewhere. Even the most modest homes have really high taxes, mostly in lower NH.
Not entirely true. Look at the 2012 nh equalized tax rates. One can find many towns in NH with more reasonable tax rates with the corresponding lower property taxes. The more populous corridors are generally going to have higher tax rates overall. NH also has a current use policy for land of 10 acres or more that keeps property taxes lower for those that have larger land holdings. This also discourages subdivision of land into smaller parcels for development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine