Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,943 times

Advertisements

we are looking at property in Lubec, ME and want to build a small home there - are there available and reliable tradesmen in the area??? we particularly are interested in contacting a mason and a plumber for estimates, etc. any information on this town would be greatly appreciated . We are a retired couple looking for a summer getaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:50 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Lubec is a great little town and there are some excellant trades people in the area. If you use the "search" feature you can find a bit of info here on Lubec. Here's a link to start you off on a gent that does construction that just relocated there //www.city-data.com/forum/maine...o-friends.html hope it goes well for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM

161 posts, read 418,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombilly View Post
we are looking at property in Lubec, ME and want to build a small home there - are there available and reliable tradesmen in the area??? we particularly are interested in contacting a mason and a plumber for estimates, etc. any information on this town would be greatly appreciated . We are a retired couple looking for a summer getaway.
I can't help you with a mason but Joey and Trent of Coastline Plumbing and Heating are fantastic. They have provided excellent service over the years and this year put in a new furnace and hot water heater that runs like a charm in our shorefront home in Lubec.

Alan

Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 11,943 times
Default relocate to lubec

thanks for the info - we are still debating the move - trip from NJ takes about 11 - 12 hours however we seem to feel it is worth it - would probably spend the entire summer there and would need a place to rent while building our new home - any more suggestions???

Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM

34 posts, read 86,284 times
Default Lubec's downtown info

Hello...

My husband is taking a trip up to Lubec in late Oct. to check out the town and househunt and unfortunatley I cannot come with. So I am doing all the web surfing I can to gain info on what kind of downtown Lubec has. Like grocery stores,restaurants,movie theatre etc. Would someone who has lived there for a long time try and put into words what makes Lubec special for me? It appears to be all we are looking for in a getaway/retirement area, but it is hard to gain pictures of the downtown center. Also what kind of weather should my husband count on for late Oct ? Thank you

Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 PM

44 posts, read 94,826 times
Lubec is a wonderfull Village. There are good and bad just like every where else. But we are small enough you will know who to avoid quick. And as far as a Mason or a contractor I might know of a small local company that can help.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpironman61 View Post
Hello...

My husband is taking a trip up to Lubec in late Oct. to check out the town and househunt and unfortunatley I cannot come with. So I am doing all the web surfing I can to gain info on what kind of downtown Lubec has. Like grocery stores,restaurants,movie theatre etc. Would someone who has lived there for a long time try and put into words what makes Lubec special for me? It appears to be all we are looking for in a getaway/retirement area, but it is hard to gain pictures of the downtown center. Also what kind of weather should my husband count on for late Oct ? Thank you
Lubec is small but wonderful. There is a well supplied grocery store (Lyon's) and a number of small variety stores. There is a hardware store, which I frequent all the time. there are just a few restaurants, Uncle Kippy's being the busiest. There is a post office and a there are a few craft and specialty shops (chocolates!). There is a medical/health center too. There is no movie theater, the closest one is in Calais.

We have a vacation/retirement home there ans simply love it.

Weather at the end of October will be cool to quite cool.

Alan

Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 AM

34 posts, read 86,284 times
Thanks for the info...We would also appreciate any advice for maintaining a vacation home there. Is there any trouble with break-ins or vandalism with empty homes? Should a local service be hired to care take the place? We own a home in Va. and it has been rented out and handled through an agency for 3 yrs so it has been pretty easy. But this venture would be new to us only using it in summer and Holidays.
Is Calais the nearest largest town? How far is it from Lubec?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpironman61 View Post
Thanks for the info...We would also appreciate any advice for maintaining a vacation home there. Is there any trouble with break-ins or vandalism with empty homes? Should a local service be hired to care take the place? We own a home in Va. and it has been rented out and handled through an agency for 3 yrs so it has been pretty easy. But this venture would be new to us only using it in summer and Holidays.
Is Calais the nearest largest town? How far is it from Lubec?
Our home was broken in to in 2006. They entered through a basement window and took a $40 DVD player. There were a series of break-ins that year with all involving the taking of a DVD or VCR. Probably some oxycontin junkie. However that's the only problem we've ever had. We have a gentleman do our lawn and he will also house watch too. We use ours most of the summer so we rent very infrequently. We keep it open mid-April through November. There are services available there to handle rentals.

Calais is about 50 miles from Lubec and just over an hour drive. It has a Walmart and other shopping. Machias is about 30 or so miles away in the other direction and being a college town has a few fast food and other restaurants and more shopping than Lubec.

Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine