Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 AM

468 posts, read 758,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
Well my mother spent 21 years in N.H. and I spent 27 in Maine... [sarcasm]but you're right, I probably don't know anything...[/sarcasm]

Try offering some advice next time along with your opinions regarding me, you'll still come off like a donkey, but at least you'll have added something of value to the thread.
With all due respect, live a few decades in eastern Massachusetts and then get back to me on what high cost living is.

At least in Maine, one can buy off the beaten path, in a town with few building ordinances and services, and the town and neighborhood will leave you basically alone, to live a low-cost life. If your house is fairly small, and you have controlled your heating oil use, one can do this. In a place like eastern MA, you have SO many rules imposed on you, such as Title V septic inspections at house selling time, to rules about trash, high auto insurance, no gardens in the yard, don't cut the trees, no livestock, etc., etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 AM

81 posts, read 289,815 times
AMy husband is border patrol, but once u get the job it being paramilitary organization, you do not get to choose your first duty station. They put you where they need you. My husband spent 3years in the process to get hired with the border patrol,its worth the waite. After passing everything and getting the offer before shipping off to the academy, he was offered Arizona, and accepted bc its not gauranteed you will get a second offer. So be prepared to get offer anywhere in california,arizona,texas. After he is in for a year or 2 he can transfer out to the northern border if there's a need. Iam a CAN and while we are here I will being cont my education in the nursing feild as well.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 AM

81 posts, read 289,815 times
The border patrol love prior service military, he has to apply on usa jobs and look for an announcement opening.after doing their online questionaire they schedule u for the test at a testing site nearest you where u choose. From then on its a series of background checks and medical tests. Etc......its takes awhile for this process it is the government. Everyone that passes the screenings and such get offered employment. My husbands loves his job and he is prior sevice as well. U can get more infor from a site called Honorfirst. It helped us tremendously with. The wealth of information about each process. Good luck to u both u can pm me if u have any questions.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
You will not have to re-take the RN boards in every state you move to. You have to contact the state authority where you are moving to and there is a reciprocity procedure.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
When anyone looks at cost of living, instead of making generalized statements (true or not), it might be a good idea to write down on paper income, amount of rent, whether or not heat and any other utilities are included in the rent, and real facts about the cost of other expenses involved for a particular location and do the math. Get an idea of how much income you must have to survive. Sometimes apartments are available for under $800 a month and include heat. Start by looking on Craig's List. Search by town.

When it gets closer to the time for your husband to leave the Marines, he needs to decide whether to pursue border patrol or state police or some other type of police officer. As pointed out in another post, if he pursues border patrol, his first assignment might not be in Maine. Bangor has been mentioned for nursing school. Even if he trains to be a state police officer, what are his chances of the first assignment being in Bangor? ...an opening would have to occur and I would think seniority would enter in to choosing who gets the job. A friend of mine went to nursing school affiliated with EMMC in Bangor and she has been happy with the results. Here are some links you and your husband might find helpful.

Maine Criminal Justice Academy: Criminal Justice Jobs in Maine
State Police: Jobs & Training

Maine Criminal Justice Academy, Vassalboro, Maine Maine Criminal Justice Academy: About the Academy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine