Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had very low income/savings, would you still live in or move to Maine?
Yes, Maine is just so gosh-darn fantastic that I would be willing to freeze my tuckus off to live here even if I had to eat shoe leather to survive 19 55.88%
No, I would pick someplace where I wouldn't need to worry about freezing to death in winter if I couldn't pay my oil bill 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:17 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times

Advertisements

We want to move back to CT to spend our last days with family but as we look at situation we can pay cash for a small home,900-1200 sq ft., but CT's many taxes give us second thoughts.It would amount to $4-5,000 per year down the drain, let alone sky high utilities.Our fixed income is more thean double the $1200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:27 PM

468 posts, read 758,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshdw View Post
Seems we are all wondering why the couple chose to live in Maine and considering their limited income chose a house heated with oil. Unless people are employed or have liquid assets I can't understand how people could pay for oil heat. Do you suppose they thought they would receive state funds to pay the fuel bill? I don't know. My guess is they don't have enough money to move to a warmer climate. We also don't know how they are used to living. I listened to a young woman being interviewed on a program examining how people are struggling. She said she is receiving food stamps but never had to rely on assistance before. She said she buys canned stew and canned soups and tries to make them last. I wonder why she doesn't buy a bag of potatoes and carrots and beans plus chicken. She could make soups and stews that would go further than canned food and it's healthier. Apparently she just doesn't understand how.

Also, I think I recall reading that the US consumes 25% of the world's resources. We are great consumers. Rather than looking for a greater supply of oil perhaps we need to learn how to live on less. Can't we be just as happy sharing a meal at home with friends as going out to a restaurant, add a sweater, turn down the thermostat, walk more, drive less, etc.
Lots of people don't really know how to cook anymore. We are reaping what we sowed when we became a nation of premade, prepackaged food in the supermarkets after the Second World War. In fact, decades of relative prosperity have allowed many frugal skills to more or less die out.

I think Mainers are still a little better than much of the rest of the US in this respect, but compared to people a generation or two ago, a lot has been lost.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
Just another reason I NEVER read the liberal rag, the Old York Times.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
Lots of people don't really know how to cook anymore. We are reaping what we sowed when we became a nation of premade, prepackaged food in the supermarkets after the Second World War. In fact, decades of relative prosperity have allowed many frugal skills to more or less die out.

I think Mainers are still a little better than much of the rest of the US in this respect, but compared to people a generation or two ago, a lot has been lost.

I agree. I'm waiting for the app for breathing.

We allow marketing to direct our lives. This is the 'job of tomorrow' - legal stalking using statistics. IMHO, it's what drives the current ridiculousness that is public education now.

This is not exclusive to Target by the way. It's literally everywhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/ma...nted=1&_r=2&hp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine